Pope Says Gay Marriage Poses A Threat To 'Justice And Peace'


B00Mer
#1
Pope Says Gay Marriage Poses A Threat To 'Justice And Peace' In World Day Of Peace 2013 Address



Pope Benedict XVI said this week that gay marriage poses a threat to "justice and peace." The 85-year-old religious leader went on to suggest that same-sex marriage is "unnatural."

According to the Associated Press, the head of the Roman Catholic Church kicked off the Christmas season on Friday with the traditional lighting of the tree in Vatican City's St. Peter's Square. On the same day, the Holy See released the Pope's message for World Day of Peace 2013.

As Gay Star News reports, the Pope, in his annual address, said that same-sex marriage is "unnatural" and "against human nature."

"There isa need to acknowledge and promote the natural structure of marriage as the union of a man and a woman in the face of attempts to make it juridically equivalent to radically different types of union," the Pope said, according to ANSA.

"Such attempts actually harm and help to destabilize marriage, obscuring its specific nature and its indispensable role in society. These principles are not truths of faith, nor are they simply a corollary of the right to religious freedom. They are inscribed in human nature itself, accessible to reason and thus common to all humanity," he continued.

The Pope went on to suggest that support of gay marriage "constitutes an offense against the truth of the human person, with serious harm to justice and peace."

According to AP, the Pope said abortion is also a threat to peace.

This is not the first time that Pope Benedict has vocally opposed same-sex marriage.

Earlier this year, the Associated Press reported that the religious leader had denounced gay marriage as being "insidious and dangerous." Previously, he had called same-sex unions "a threat to humanity."

Source: Pope Says Gay Marriage Poses A Threat To 'Justice And Peace' In World Day Of Peace 2013 Address (external - login to view)
 
Niflmir
+9
#2  Top Rated Post
The pope is the bigger threat to justice and peace. Perhaps we could have contained and reversed the AIDS pandemic by now if not for the perverse anti-condom stance of the Catholic church. To think that they are given tax breaks to spread such a dangerous and inhumane message.

As a married man with no plans to have children, I cannot help but feel personally offended by the pope's words. Does my marriage pose a threat to justice and peace? Is a relationship based solely on love and respect somehow destructive to the pope's vision of society? Is my own marriage harming and destabilizing the institution of marriage for others because of my steadfast refusal to have children? Heck, some gays will adopt and I will not. Don't these people deserve marriage more in the eyes of the pope than me and my wife?

As for the unnatural bit, haven't we uncovered enough evidence to show just how natural homosexuality is?
 
petros
+1
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by NiflmirView Post

The pope is the bigger threat to justice and peace. Perhaps we could have contained and reversed the AIDS pandemic by now if not for the perverse anti-condom stance of the Catholic church. To think that they are given tax breaks to spread such a dangerous and inhumane message.

Really? They may so no condom but it's not a sin to not wear a condom is it?
 
Niflmir
+2
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Really? They may so no condom but it's not a sin to not wear a condom is it?

When you have AIDS and you know that you have AIDS and you do not wear a condom because infecting a person is not a mortal sin while wearing a condom is... that is the bigger threat to justice and peace than two homosexuals getting to see each other in the hospital.
 
petros
+2
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by NiflmirView Post

When you have AIDS and you know that you have AIDS and you do not wear a condom because infecting a person is not a mortal sin while wearing a condom is... that is the bigger threat to justice and peace than two homosexuals getting to see each other in the hospital.

Wearing a condom isn't the sin. Sex before marriage is and why they promote abstinence.
 
Ron in Regina
+3
#6
Huh...I though the sin was the 'condom equivalent' of "casting your seed upon the ground"
sort'a thing.

Personally, not only do I have no issue with gay marriage, but I really don't understand why
it's even an issue, to be perfectly honest.
 
lone wolf
+1
#7
It poses a threat to the collection plate.
 
captain morgan
+1
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by NiflmirView Post

The pope is the bigger threat to justice and peace. Perhaps we could have contained and reversed the AIDS pandemic by now if not for the perverse anti-condom stance of the Catholic church. To think that they are given tax breaks to spread such a dangerous and inhumane message.

The Pope is somehow responsible for the AIDS epidemic because he has articulated the Church's position on contraception? I never knew that he, personally, went around and put a gun to the heads of anyone that considered using condoms.

BTW - the Church also supports the idea that pre-marital and extra-marital sex is frowned upon.... So, if your argument is that Catholics are not using condoms because the Pope demands it, how do you answer for the additional lack of discipline amongst Catholics on the pre/extra marital issue?

Quote: Originally Posted by NiflmirView Post

Does my marriage pose a threat to justice and peace? Is a relationship based solely on love and respect somehow destructive to the pope's vision of society?

Did the Pope break down your door and demand you have kids?
 
Ron in Regina
+2
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

It poses a threat to the collection plate.

I'm assuming this might sound like a dumb question, but, "how so?"

I'm also assuming, like any other segment of the general population,
that a certain percentage are going to be religiously observant, and
will chuck their change in the plate along with everyone else as long
as the doors are open for them to participate just like everyone else.

I know I'm making many assumptions here, as I'm on the outside looking
in on the issue, but I still don't really understand why it even is an issue.
 
Dexter Sinister
+2
#10
Well, what would you expect from a guy whose world view is based on a text generated by a credulous, superstitious, pre-scientific, and largely pre-literate society?
 
gerryh
#11
There has already been a couple of good reply's on this but I think I'll wade in and answer the stupidity too.


Quote: Originally Posted by NiflmirView Post

The pope is the bigger threat to justice and peace. Perhaps we could have contained and reversed the AIDS pandemic by now if not for the perverse anti-condom stance of the Catholic church. To think that they are given tax breaks to spread such a dangerous and inhumane message.

The Church has a very clear stance on sexual relations and on contraception. If a Catholic follows the Catholic stance, then the chance of getting OR spreading AIDS/HIV is zero/nil/nada. The Catholic stance, when followed, is a hell of a lot better than anything the "scientific" community has come up with.


Quote: Originally Posted by NiflmirView Post

When you have AIDS and you know that you have AIDS and you do not wear a condom because infecting a person is not a mortal sin while wearing a condom is... that is the bigger threat to justice and peace than two homosexuals getting to see each other in the hospital.

Having pre or extra marital sex is also a "sin", but that sure didn't stop them. So how about you lay the spread at the feet of those that are/were truly responsible. Those that made the choice to have sex when infected without protection. The Church had nothing to do with either choice.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

Huh...I though the sin was the 'condom equivalent' of "casting your seed upon the ground"
sort'a thing.


Just proves that it's not only the rank and file that like to wade into a topic when they don't have a clue.

Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Wearing a condom isn't the sin. Sex before marriage is and why they promote abstinence.

Kudos.
 
coldstream
#12
Good for Papa.. of course he's right.. its an attack on the core structure of civilized society.. it will undermine social equity, justice and peace.

Our language has become so infused with moral relativity now that we can no longer express, certainly in political forums.. what this really is.. an assault of reason.. a grotesque absurdity.. an abomination.

We've become so 'nice' and so 'non-judgemental' that we allow a beastial presence into our homes.. those of the nation.. without realizing its intent is only to inflict mayhem on the civil order.
 
WLDB
+1
#13
The head of an organization which protects child molesters and rapists is lecturing us on justice? Thats kind of funny.
 
gerryh
+1 / -1
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

The head of an organization which protects child molesters and rapists is lecturing us on justice? Thats kind of funny.



What's funny is that you can type complete sentences.
 
coldstream
-1
#15
The Catholic Church is a prime example of what can happen when homosexuality is downplayed as an irrelevant 'lifestyle' choice.

The strictures prohibiting homosexuality in the priesthood were ignored, in many cases.. many seminaries became saturated with homoerotic cultures.. and the results for the Church were catastrophic.

Sadly the first victims of homosexuality are those who get drawn into the dissolution of the homosexuality... but like all human conditions predicated on misery, gratification and exploitation.. it lashes out.. and seeks other victims for 'company'.
 
Spade
+2
#16
Clerical sexual abuse is not a question of homosexuality or heterosexuality. It is an issue of celibacy in the Latin Rite. And, an issue of concealment as practised by the hierarchy.

By the way, the Pope can say anything he wishes to the faithful. The faithful have every right to ignore him. And, you know...
 
gerryh
+2
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstreamView Post

The Catholic Church is a prime example of what can happen when homosexuality is downplayed as an irrelevant 'lifestyle' choice.

The strictures prohibiting homosexuality in the priesthood were ignored, in many cases.. many seminaries became saturated with homoerotic cultures.. and the results for the Church were catastrophic.

Sadly the first victims of homosexuality are those who get drawn into the dissolution of the homosexuality... but like all human conditions predicated on misery, gratification and exploitation.. it lashes out.. and seeks other victims for 'company'.


You're an idiot. Homosexuality has absolutely nothing to do with pedophilia or sexual abuse. YOU are no better than the as*holes that blame the "Church" for what a few priests have done.
 
captain morgan
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

The head of an organization which protects child molesters and rapists is lecturing us on justice? Thats kind of funny.

I'm very much looking forward to reading your strong remarks that mirror the above with respect to other religions and walks of life..

So how about it? Are you ready to launch into other identifiable groups based on heinous over generalizations?

I'll help get you started... Each year, we frequently hear about:

  1. Teachers having sex with students
  2. Doctors having relations with patients (psychiatrists are the easiest target)
  3. Those that practice polygamy (many very young girls as wives - you ought to get huge mileage outta this one)... Ohhh, you can use some practitioners of Islam in this too!
  4. Domestic violence in identifiable cultural groups

So, lets hear it. Rape, statutory rape (or child molester as you prefer), child abuse all manner of breech of trust and ethics, sexual assault, battery and molestation to name a few.

Looking forward to reading you objective condemnation on this!



Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

By the way, the Pope can say anything he wishes to the faithful. The faithful have every right to ignore him. And, you know...

I'm guessing that you're not Catholic, so what do you care?

Don't you think you'd be better served in strengthening or promoting the philosophy that you follow as opposed to sniping at others for no real gain?
 
Dexter Sinister
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstreamView Post

The Catholic Church is a prime example of what can happen when homosexuality is downplayed as an irrelevant 'lifestyle' choice.

Pedophilia is not homosexuality. Moving and protecting pedophiles is not downplaying homosexuality. The Catholic Church has never downplayed homosexuality. Your argument is irrelevant to the point you think you're making.
 
damngrumpy
+5
#20
First of all the church is a bigger threat than the gays or almost anyone else.
Churches preach we have all the answers and if you follow us with collective
thinking instead of your own thinking.
This is why I gave up on churches long ago they tell you what to think and how
you are going to and how much you are going to pay to have the church tell you
what you should think.
This coming from the very religion that has more sex problems than almost any
other. From a personal point of view I have little in common with the Catholic
Church, I used to go to Mass every Sunday but I haven't gone for years except
for weddings and funerals. The reason? They are stuck in the seventeenth
century. We are living in modern times and science has proved so much of the
belief system to be in error. Minor things like

1 the earth is round
2 the earth revolves around the sun
3 The Pope is not always right

The church does provide some comfort to people and I applaud them for that but
when they start telling me what to think when it comes to the issues of the day I
just move on, I am capable of thinking for myself.
 
Spade
+1
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post


I'm guessing that you're not Catholic, so what do you care?

Don't you think you'd be better served in strengthening or promoting the philosophy that you follow as opposed to sniping at others for no real gain?

The Pope only speaks to Catholics? This is a Catholics-only thread? Catholics hate reading constructive criticism?
Last edited by Spade; Dec 15th, 2012 at 05:51 PM..
 
L Gilbert
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

Pope Says Gay Marriage Poses A Threat To 'Justice And Peace' In World Day Of Peace 2013 Address

Pope Benedict XVI said this week that gay marriage poses a threat to "justice and peace."

He has a point there. But I bet he doesn't realize why it may be. It's because of the irrational prejudices against gay marriage that the issue is a threat to justice and peace.
Quote:

The 85-year-old religious leader went on to suggest that same-sex marriage is "unnatural."

uhuh It's as unnatural as marriage is in the first place.

Quote:

According to the Associated Press, the head of the Roman Catholic Church kicked off the Christmas season on Friday with the traditional lighting of the tree in Vatican City's St. Peter's Square. On the same day, the Holy See released the Pope's message for World Day of Peace 2013.

Pope wants the world in peace. It's easy; get rid of politics and religion.

Quote:

The Pope went on to suggest that support of gay marriage "constitutes an offense against the truth of the human person,"

Truth is relative and subjective in that case.
Quote:

with serious harm to justice and peace."

Again, he has a point but for the wrong reason.

Quote:

According to AP, the Pope said abortion is also a threat to peace.

Good point again, but for the wrong reason.

Quote:

This is not the first time that Pope Benedict has vocally opposed same-sex marriage.

Earlier this year, the Associated Press reported that the religious leader had denounced gay marriage as being "insidious and dangerous." Previously, he had called same-sex unions "a threat to humanity."

Source: Pope Says Gay Marriage Poses A Threat To 'Justice And Peace' In World Day Of Peace 2013 Address (external - login to view)

Yeah well, the Pope also had his brain converted to nonsense from rational thought.
 
Spade
#23
Or, people pointing out the Pope is largely ignored on matters sexual?
 
L Gilbert
+1
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by NiflmirView Post

As for the unnatural bit, haven't we uncovered enough evidence to show just how natural homosexuality is?

Yeah, well, people tend to ignore or at least dismiss evidence in favor of religious dogma.

Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Wearing a condom isn't the sin. Sex before marriage is and why they promote abstinence.

So before some nutcase came up with religious dogma about marriage and sex, anyone that died went to sinner's hell. Yup, that makes perfect "sense".

Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

I'm assuming this might sound like a dumb question, but, "how so?"

I'm also assuming, like any other segment of the general population,
that a certain percentage are going to be religiously observant, and
will chuck their change in the plate along with everyone else as long
as the doors are open for them to participate just like everyone else.

I know I'm making many assumptions here, as I'm on the outside looking
in on the issue, but I still don't really understand why it even is an issue.

It's an issue because religionists feel they have the right to push their religiosity upon everyone else.
 
captain morgan
+1
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

This coming from the very religion that has more sex problems than almost any
other.

Be honest here DG... You have likely turned a blind eye to the problems (sex included) rife in other religions or cultures... That info doesn't jibe with your world view that only the Catholic Church has imperfections - the warts and wrinkles that are present in all forms of religion, race, culture, professions and demographics are of no interest as it would dramatically erode your predetermined ideas about Catholics and their Church.

You see what you want to see and close your eyes to reality in order to support a closed vision

Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

The reason? They are stuck in the seventeenth
century. We are living in modern times and science has proved so much of the
belief system to be in error. Minor things like

1 the earth is round
2 the earth revolves around the sun

Good one.. Your 'proof' is based on ideas that are a thousand years old... Maybe time to modernize a bit?

Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

The Pope only speaks to Catholics? This is a Catholics-only thread? Catholics hate reading constuctive criticism?

Ummmm, I'm pretty sure that he ain't speaking for the CAW, and of course this is not a Catholics-only thread.. All of the haters and bigots and PC crowd are here too (in force I see)
 
L Gilbert
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstreamView Post

Good for Papa.. of course he's right.. its an attack on the core structure of civilized society.. it will undermine social equity, justice and peace.

Your opinion. Here's an idea; back it up with evidence.

Quote:

Our language has become so infused with moral relativity now that we can no longer express, certainly in political forums.. what this really is.. an assault of reason.. a grotesque absurdity.. an abomination.

Nope. The reaction to homosexuality is the assault on reason .. a grotesque absurdity ... an abomination.

Quote:

We've become so 'nice' and so 'non-judgemental' that we allow a beastial presence into our homes..

Got news for you, all humans are beasts (or in a more specific and realistic term, animals). No religious dogma and rhetoric can change that fact.
Quote:

those of the nation.. without realizing its intent is only to inflict mayhem on the civil order.

You mean your idea of "civic order".

Quote: Originally Posted by coldstreamView Post

The Catholic Church is a prime example of what can happen when homosexuality is downplayed as an irrelevant 'lifestyle' choice.

The strictures prohibiting homosexuality in the priesthood were ignored, in many cases.. many seminaries became saturated with homoerotic cultures.. and the results for the Church were catastrophic.

That's because the scriptures are contrary to nature.

Quote:

Sadly the first victims of homosexuality are those who get drawn into the dissolution of the homosexuality...

Nope. The victims are those that are persecuted because of some irrational and unrealistic view of natural phenomena.
Quote:

but like all human conditions predicated on misery, gratification and exploitation.. it lashes out.. and seeks other victims for 'company'.

Like the churches' need for rationalizing its unnatural views on natural issues?
 
Ron in Regina
+2
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

It's an issue because religionists feel they have the right to push their religiosity upon everyone else.


Nobody has ever tried to push their religiosity upon me...that made any real difference,
anyway. I'm assuming that you're in a similiar position.

The Mormons & J.W.'s on the doorstep early on the weekends at times can be an
annoyance, but it's nothing a Rottweiler bouncing off the picture window doesn't
cure.
 
petros
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

It poses a threat to the collection plate.

They are short on money? HA! Funny!
 
L Gilbert
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

All of the haters and bigots and PC crowd are here too (in force I see)

Haters? Bigots? You mean the types of people that cannot handle anyone else that don't follow their particular views (views like homosexuality is unnatural and that sort of thing)?

Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

Nobody has ever tried to push their religiosity upon me...that made any real difference,
anyway. I'm assuming that you're in a similiar position.

You haven't noticed that religions have been trying to push their agendas onto others? You've never heard of critters such as "missionaries"? JWs?

Quote:

The Mormons & J.W.'s on the doorstep early on the weekends at times can be an
annoyance, but it's nothing a Rottweiler bouncing off the picture window doesn't
cure.

Ah. There ya go. You don't allow others to stick you with their views. Good lad.
 
Ron in Regina
+1
#30
Maybe I've made the place look too warm & inviting that it attracts The J.W.'s &
Mormons, I guess:







....but it's something I can work on in the future.
Last edited by Ron in Regina; Dec 15th, 2012 at 06:37 PM..Reason: typo
 

Similar Threads

0
Threat gang poses to police examined
by sanctus | Dec 18th, 2006
0
Peace seen as a threat
by United_Nations | Sep 13th, 2006
no new posts