Boy in critical condition after accident at Bearspaw School

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Boy in critical condition after accident at Bearspaw School

In what’s being called a tragic accident, an eight-year-old boy is in grave condition after he apparently became hung on a lanyard he wore around his neck at Bearspaw School.
The incident occurred Wednesday at lunch hour when the Grade 3 student — whose mother teaches at the school — apparently fell in a washroom stall. A cord he was wearing holding a hall pass caught on a door, Sun sources said.
It was a number of minutes before the boy was discovered by a fellow student and efforts to revive him failed, said a source.
EMS spokesman Ryan Collyer confirmed crews went to the school at about noon to find the youngster unconscious.
He was taken to Alberta Children’s Hospital.
The boy’s mother, a kindergarten teacher, was there when her son was discovered, said a close friend of the family.
“She was there when it all happened, she was in the same wing he was in ... she never wants to go back into that school,” said the friend, who didn’t want to be named.
“At all levels, this is life-changing, life-altering for them and tragic beyond words.”
Word spread quickly throughout the school amid horrified students and staff, said the friend, and added the last information she obtained was that the boy was on life support at the Alberta Children’s hospital.
She described the boy — the youngest of three children — as “lovely, smart, intelligent, beautiful.
“He’s the outgoing light at the centre of his sister, brother and parent’s world.”
Family and friends, she said, are dismayed and hurt by rumours the boy tried to commit suicide.
“It’s just a really, really freak incident,” she said, adding friends’ focus now is on supporting the family.
RCMP Cpl. Darrin Turnbull confirmed police were called to the school after a student was found in medical distress.
He said they are investigating the incident to determine what occurred and expect to release more information Friday.
Rocky View Schools intend to be at the RCMP press conference.
Angela Spanier, Rocky View Schools spokeswoman, asked that the school and family’s privacy be respected.
“We had a student accident at Bearspaw school,” she said.
“This has been tragic for the school.”

Boy in critical condition after accident at Bearspaw School | Calgary | News | Calgary Sun

What an absolutely horrible thing to have happen. :(

I'm honestly surprised that the school would issue hall passes on a lanynard, I was under the impression that those were not recommended for younger kids due to the choking hazard. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not implying that the school is to blame per se, I see this as a really sad and tragic accident, but I am just surprised.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'm honestly surprised that the school would issue hall passes on a lanynard, I was under the impression that those were not recommended for younger kids due to the choking hazard. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not implying that the school is to blame per se, I see this as a really sad and tragic accident, but I am just surprised.
A grade three student inside the school isnt really a foreseeable strangulation risk. And more dangerous to their health would be the communal handheld bathroom pass i suspect.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
A grade three student inside the school isnt really a foreseeable strangulation risk. And more dangerous to their health would be the communal handheld bathroom pass i suspect.

Perhaps not and it has been a while since my kids were of that age. I just distinctly remember a lot of incidents when they were that age of drawstrings on hoods being caught on playground equipment, in bus doors, or other places in and around where children frequent, like schools. And I recall that lanyards were talked about a lot during that period as well since they do have break-away kinds or non-break-way kinds and it's important to make sure you give the proper kinds to children.

Again, I'm not trying to come out and say that it should have been foreseeable or that it is in any way the schools fault really. I just recall a lot of dialogue surrounding those inssues when my kids were younger and thus it did kind of surprise me.