Santa forced to kick habit

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
A new, bowdlerized edition of Twas The Night Before Christmas that pulls the pipe from Santa’s mouth and drops all references to his smoking habit has sparked a backlash in Canada and reopened debate over whether it’s acceptable to apply modern mores to classics written in a different time.

Late last year, Canadian independent publisher and smoking cessation advocate Pamela McColl decided to “update” the nearly 200-year-old poem by deleting mention of the stump of his pipe and the wreath of smoke around his head — a move she hopes will deter children from picking up a pack.

The cover of the book, published this month by Grafton and Scratch and, according to McColl, picked up this week by Indigo booksellers, proclaims to have been “edited by Santa Claus for the benefit of children of the 21st century.”

SOUND OFF: Do you agree with this classic book's publisher in removing the smoking pipe from Santa's mouth and dropping any reference to his smoking habit?Tell us what you think on Facebook.

Parents, McColl said, have been tearing the smoking-related pages out of their books or have had to console teary-eyed children who see Santa’s pipe and think he’s going to die as a result of his habit.

“Wouldn’t it be sad if we saw a poem that’s so incredibly influential in our celebration of Christmas cast aside because we didn’t make a simple edit and took out a simple verse that’s offensive to modern children?” she said.

Other classics have been updated to fit the modern times — the man in the yellow hat from Curious George doesn’t smoke anymore, she said.

“I had someone say to me ‘You can’t do that, he’s an historical figure,’ and I said ‘Santa is not a historical figure to a five-year-old. He’s literally a real guy smoking in their living room.’”

But her nicotine-free Saint Nick has been met with criticism, the publisher plied with accusations of over-the-top political correctness and blatant mucking about with Clement C. Moore’s intended depictions of Santa. Others worry that such a brash tweaking of the poem will mean children miss out on historical learning opportunities and water down a treasured and iconic piece of literature.

“I think it’s dreadful,” said Ann Curry, a professor at the University of Alberta who has researched censorship in children’s books.

Her colleague, Gail de Vos, an adjunct instructor in Canadian children’s literature and storytelling at U of A, received a copy to review.

“Although it’s now in the public domain, there’s something disturbing about modifying a classic,” de Vos said. “What about those children who never get to hear the real thing? What if they become an adult and find out Santa used to be a smoker?”

The American Library Association and other literary advocacy organizations are wholly opposed to “expurgation” or taking references out of books that may now be deemed vulgar or offensive, said Deborah Caldwell-Stone, deputy director of the American Library Association’s Office for Intellectual Freedom.

“So much of censorship is motivated on the grounds that we’re protecting children from concepts someone finds distasteful. But there’s many assumptions behind that — that one point is the correct viewpoint, that all parents buy into the same ideas. The bottom line is we’re denying access to the author’s original voice, denying the opportunity for the author’s voice to be heard.”

Last year, the literary world was up in arms after an Alabama publishing house announced it would issue an updated version of the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, replacing the word “******” with “slave,” and expunging the word “Injun.”

“The end result was putting out an edition that denied access to [Mark] Twain’s original work,” said Caldwell-Stone. Grafton and Scratch’s rewriting of Twas The Night Before Christmas “may not be seen in the same light as rewriting Huckleberry Finn to take out the n word, but for all intents and purposes it’s the same act.”

Santa was intended as a fantasy, not a role model — a perfect human being after whom children should model their behaviour, said Alvin Schrader, professor emeritus at the University of Alberta and convenor of the Canadian Library Association’s Intellectual Freedom Advisory Committee. Plus, the tale of the jolly old elf wasn’t written with solely children in mind.

“[Santa] doesn’t go around killing kids. He doesn’t leave them bombs. I just think starting to rewrite and revise all of our history leads to something even more meaningless than even Disney,” he said.

Global Calgary | After 200 years, Santa kicks a bad habit: Twas The Night Before Christmas takes away St. Nick

Give me a frickin' break. :banghead:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I am really getting sick of do gooders and the politically correct crowd. They are little more
than revisionists without a single thought of their own. So what if Santa smokes a pipe?
Did anyone mention that smoking a pipe is legal? Not to mention its been part of a tradition
for over a hundred years. This goes back to the people who wanted to make Uncle Toms
Cabin more correct or Tom Sawyer.
Mustn't portray anything bad for the children.
I wonder how many of these adults and parents would be so prissy if they could hear them
swearing and how they act at the mall by themselves.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
i am really getting sick of do gooders and the politically correct crowd. They are little more
than revisionists without a single thought of their own. So what if santa smokes a pipe?
Did anyone mention that smoking a pipe is legal? Not to mention its been part of a tradition
for over a hundred years. This goes back to the people who wanted to make uncle toms
cabin more correct or tom sawyer.
Mustn't portray anything bad for the children.
I wonder how many of these adults and parents would be so prissy if they could hear them
swearing and how they act at the mall by themselves.

Rock On DG. :thumbup:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
You know what? People used the N-Word prolifically back in Mark Twain's time. Sanitizing his work, and others like it, is doing a disservice to the historic value of such works. And for crying out loud, that ugly word is used by many rappers today in their songs!

So, no. I don't think they need to sanitize literary and other things from our history. Times were different, and just because things are different now, doesn't mean that the past should be erased.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Might be entertaining to hear them echo around with their heads in their cavernous you-know-where areas though. :D

They need to give their heads a good shake, from the shaggy coffee house hipsters to the liquid hand gel anti-bacterial on everything soccer moms.

We need someone to seriously go George Carlin on them.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
they need to give their heads a good shake, from the shaggy coffee house hipsters to the liquid hand gel anti-bacterial on everything soccer moms.

We need someone to seriously go george carlin on them.
+1000