How about that New York Post front page?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

Classy.

A freelance photographer working for the New York Post on an unrelated assignment happened to be standing on the 49th Street station platform when 58-year-old Queens resident Ki Suk Han was suddenly pushed onto the tracks by an as-yet-unidentified assailant.

The photographer, R. Umar Abbasi, snapped at least two photos of Han before he was run over by the downtown Q train. The married father-of-one sustained critical injuries and was later pronounced dead at Roosevelt Hospital.

One of the haunting photos Abbasi took graces the front page of the Post this morning, incurring the ire of readers who want to know why no help was extended to the injured Han in lieu of capturing the moment for posterity.

Abbasi claims that he was using his camera's flash to warn the train's conductor, possibly suggesting that the photos were incidental. The Post further defends Abbasi, saying he wasn't strong enough to lift Han off the tracks.

more

Photo of Man's Imminent Demise Covers Front Page of the New York Post, Sparks Outrage

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Freedom of the press be damned, I think if you're going to take photos like that in lieu of at least attempting to render assistance you should be charged. And the editor who put it on the front page should be lining up in the unemployment line. FFS, what the hell is wrong with people????

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
"Not strong enough to lift Han off the tracks" is reason enough not to try? I'm sure all Han wouldn have need was someone to grab onto and he would have done most of the work in the first place.
Flashed the train driver a warning? lmao That's freakin lame.
Abbasi obviously had enough wits to take the pic, so it isn't as if he froze.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
There are all kinds of photo's taken at point of impact, sometimes you can get the picture
and there is no way you could help. Perhaps this will draw enough attention to find out
who killed him.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Don't try to get a picture of the guy who pushed him onto the tracks, that might be helpful and somewhat humanitarian. No, go for the pic that gets you a big paycheck instead. :roll:

CanIrish

Nominee Member
Nov 20, 2012
Ireland
sick... but we can only blame all the people who run out and buy a copy... really want to view your opinion.. boycott the paper.. money talks

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Locally I recall two pictures of dead white women on the front pages. One a college student that was hit in the eye with a bean bag fired by the Boston Police and the other of a woman slumped in her car after being shot in the head.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
The "reporter" who took the picture should be blackballed from the business, but considering how pictures like that probably sell, he'll more than likely not have anything adverse happen to him. Of course, I have no respect for him or the "newspaper" that decided it would be a good idea to publish it. Purely classless.

Even if I knew I didn't have time to help him, I would have at least tried. At the very least, I wouldn't have taken a picture of a person who is about to lose their life.