UN group wants Europe's 'baby boxes' banned


petros
#31
 
Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
Cliffy
#32
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

I'm curious as to why YOU brought God into this. Especially since you've made it perfectly clear you don't believe. Is it a matter of you can't make an argument without bashing God? One trick pony?

Where do you see me bashing god? I find it useful to use your beliefs (which I am familiar with, having been brought up a catholic) to show how your emotional response to abortion is unjustifiable.
I may not believe in the man made god as presented in the bible, but I do have a strong faith, as well as a belief in the Creator. I too have had personal revelations of a spiritual nature. Just because they don't agree with yours doesn't mean they are any less valid. It only proves to me that the spirit communicates to each individual in a way they can relate to. I would even go as far as saying that spirit communicates with atheists, only in scientific terms.

Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

So if you were living in Nazi Germany and the SS came to take your Jewish neighbor away, you would say "It's none of my business"?

Straw man argument. I deal with situations that are within my personal realm of influence.
 
Cannuck
#33
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Straw man argument. I deal with situations that are within my personal realm of influence.

No, it's not a straw man argument. Pro-life people believe that life begins at conception and that a fetus is a human life. To suggest that the child (an innocent life) is none of their business is like suggesting that a Jew in Nazi Germany would be none of their business either.
 
Cliffy
+1
#34
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

No, it's not a straw man argument. Pro-life people believe that life begins at conception and that a fetus is a human life. To suggest that the child (an innocent life) is none of their business is like suggesting that a Jew in Nazi Germany would be none of their business either.

I believe that all life is sacred, not just human life. I don't want to stop people from killing other species or each other in general. If I am present when it is happening, I may or may not be moved to prevent it. But not being omnipotent, I cannot be in all places at all times. Most of life operates outside my field of influence, so I am not emotionally attached to what happens.

Pro-life people want to inflict their beliefs on others. They hold the sanctity of human life above all others and they think everybody should behave in a manor that reflects their beliefs.

I really don't care what anybody believes. It is their right. But I do take exception when they try to make others live by them. Like I said, if you don't like abortions, don't have one. I wasn't in Germany in the 1940s, so there is nothing I could do about it.
 
Cannuck
#35
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

I wasn't in Germany in the 1940s, so there is nothing I could do about it.

A cop out. If a predator was taking a child on a street corner, you would do nothing?
 
Cliffy
#36
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

A cop out. If a predator was taking a child on a street corner, you would do nothing?

If I'm present, then I would do everything in my power to prevent it. If a man is brutalizing his or someone else's dog (or any other animal) I would try to stop it. If a woman in Montreal is having an abortion and I am in BC, what do you expect me to do about it?

This has nothing to do with beliefs. It is human nature to react to situations where others are in danger. If you are a fireman like you say, you know how that works. But to sit around and decide what others are doing is wrong based on a belief system is not the same thing.
 
Cannuck
#37
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

If I'm present, then I would do everything in my power to prevent it. If a man is brutalizing his or someone else's dog (or any other animal) I would try to stop it. If a woman in Montreal is having an abortion and I am in BC, what do you expect me to do about it?

If the woman in Montreal is killing a human being you would call the police, just like if you knew somebody was brutalizing a dog or molesting a child and you were not present to stop it. Or, maybe you wouldn't.
 
DaSleeper
+1
#38
 
Cliffy
+1
#39
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

I was thinking more like a solo circle jerk.
 
Cannuck
#40
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

If the woman in Montreal is killing a human being you would call the police, just like if you knew somebody was brutalizing a dog or molesting a child and you were not present to stop it. Or, maybe you wouldn't.

The real question would be, is it self centered or selfish to only concern yourself with your immediate surroundings. I believe it is and I believe it is a copout to say that because I'm not in (insert place name) I'm not concerned about the humanity there.
 
Cannuck
#41
bump
 

Similar Threads

8
Poppy-Burning Extremist Group Banned In UK
by Locutus | Nov 10th, 2011
3
ExpressVu Boxes...
by DaSleeper | Oct 30th, 2010
no new posts