No Justice for Brutalised Sled Dogs in Whistler

bill barilko
Yes the man is a pariah but many would say he got off far too lightly

Sled dog killer avoids jail sentence
Man at centre of post-Olympic Whistler slaughter of 56 sled dogs gets probation

The man convicted of slaughtering 56 sled dogs after the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver has been handed a sentence of three years' probation with no jail time, and a $1,500 fine.

The sentence was delivered Thursday in a North Vancouver courtroom against former dog handler Robert Fawcett.

Sled dogs rest at a kennel operated by Outdoor Adventures near Whistler, B.C., on Feb. 5, 2011. Dozens of dogs were put down after the 2010 Olympics but it was only discovered months later.

The 56 dogs were disinterred from a mass grave near Whistler by the B.C. SPCA after details of the killings came to light in January 2011.

Fawcett admitted to slaughtering the sled dogs and burying them in a pit on his property, claiming he had no other option when the sled dog industry collapsed following the Olympics.

He faced a maximum penalty of five years in prison and $75,000 in fines after pleading guilty to causing unnecessary pain and suffering to nine of the animals.

The dogs at the Whistler-based company were killed shortly after the Olympics ended, but the slaughter wasn't detected until nearly a year later when documents surfaced showing Fawcett had filed a WorkSafeBC claim for post-traumatic stress.

Workers dug up a mass grave of sled dogs near Whistler, B.C., in May 2011.

After the information leaked out about the cull, Fawcett and the company that bought his business, Outdoor Adventures, issued a statement in February 2011 that many of the dogs were old and sick, and efforts to have them adopted were unsuccessful.

The company said no instructions were provided to Fawcett on how to kill the animals, but that he was known to have put down dogs humanely on previous occasions.

damngrumpy
+1
There never was going to be any justice for the animals in this case. Anyone who thought
there might be should have understood they want this to go away. There you go under the
rug. We are numb to this by now and only the most ardent animal lovers will be sickened
everyone else will be Christmas Shopping and not paying attention Its really too bad as well

Ron in Regina
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilkoView Post

The man convicted of slaughtering 56 sled dogs after the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver has been handed a sentence of three years' probation with no jail time, and a $1,500 fine.

The sentence was delivered Thursday in a North Vancouver courtroom against former dog handler Robert Fawcett.

Sled dogs rest at a kennel operated by Outdoor Adventures near Whistler, B.C., on Feb. 5, 2011. Dozens of dogs were put down after the 2010 Olympics......

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilkoView Post

Sled dogs rest at a kennel operated by Outdoor Adventures near Whistler, B.C., on Feb. 5, 2011. Dozens of dogs were put down after the 2010 Olympics but it was only discovered months later.

The 56 dogs were disinterred from a mass grave near Whistler by the B.C. SPCA after details of the killings came to light in January 2011.

Fawcett admitted to slaughtering the sled dogs and burying them in a pit on his property, claiming he had no other option when the sled dog industry collapsed following the Olympics.

He faced a maximum penalty of five years in prison and $75,000 in fines after pleading guilty to causing unnecessary pain and suffering to nine of the animals.

The dogs at the Whistler-based company were killed shortly after the Olympics ended, but the slaughter wasn't detected until nearly a year later when documents surfaced showing Fawcett had filed a WorkSafeBC claim for post-traumatic stress.

Workers dug up a mass grave of sled dogs near Whistler, B.C., in May 2011.

After the information leaked out about the cull, Fawcett and the company that bought his business, Outdoor Adventures, issued a statement in February 2011 that many of the dogs were old and sick, and efforts to have them adopted were unsuccessful.

The company said no instructions were provided to Fawcett on how to kill the animals, but that he was known to have put down dogs humanely on previous occasions.

I think the main problem here is that while what he did was sickening most of what he did wasn't illegal.

Ron in Regina
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I think the main problem here is that while what he did was sickening most of what he did wasn't illegal.

Dude would'a most likely gotten a harsher penalty for a first offence DUI.
Right or wrong, it's just the way it is at this point.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

Yep, it's too bad it's such a slippery slope, just too bad a guy like that got to handle so many animals in the first place.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

Because dogs are property, not people.

karrie
+3
#8  Top Rated Post
I was watching Yukon Men the other day. They were going through their batches of puppies, lifting them up by the tail to see which puppies they would keep. The show then conveniently skipped to a new scene, glossing over the reality of what would happen to 20 some sled dog pups that weren't tough enough straight away. And yeah, it might not have happened that day, but it would happen.

The show then carries on to show the community fishing, rushing to get nets in for the 24 hour period where they're allowed to net the river for salmon. And they talk unabashedly about the fact that they HAVE to get enough salmon to survive the winter, AND enough salmon so that they don't have to kill their dogs before winter's end because they can't afford to feed them.

All throughout the world, animals are property, subject to culls due to environment, market, etc. We like to hope that people will be responsible in how they end animals' lives but mistakes happen. Even in our food chain, animals are slaughtered improperly on a regular basis. Not a single thing I read about this incident made it sound as if any of the parties involved were purposely inflicting a poor death upon these dogs. It's a shame but seriously.

petros
+2
Quote:

I wonder how many dogs the SPCA puts down everyday?

earth_as_one
If you breed dogs, you may have to put some down. That's the reality. Some are born with defects or don't make suitable pets for various reasons. I don't recommend sled dogs as pets. They are work animals primarily and sometimes food. I am aware of several cases of sled dogs mauling children to death. I don't blame them. Given the right circumstances its their nature to kill.

Meat on the hoof?!

With people today spending "billions" on the care and feeding of pets, it may be hard to imagine that although early European and American explorers to the Arctic came to recognize sled dogs as an essential method of transportation, the dogs were not often treated with care or compassion.

Sled dogs were considered "meat on the hoof" (or "paw" in this case) - to be used and then killed and eaten as food supplies dwindled. The faithful dogs were often stabbed, as not to waste precious ammunition - the weakest went first, becoming feed for the remaining dogs.

Dr. Frederick Cook carefully planned his trek to the North Pole - he would begin with 26 sled dogs, killing them off along the way to serve as extra food, and keep just 6 for the home stretch.

His rival, Robert Peary, was no better. On one of his excursions, he left with 42 sled dogs and returned with just one, and his march to the Pole left behind a trail of leaky fuel cans, smashed sledges, and the rigid carcasses of frozen dogs.

BTW:

Dog meat legal, health inspector says
Last Updated: Friday, November 7, 2003 | 1:56 PM ET
CBC News
It isn't illegal to sell and eat the meat of dogs and other canines, as long as it's been inspected, an Alberta health inspector says.
Dog meat legal, health inspector says - CBC News

I know its done. I couldn't do it. I don't have a problem with putting down dogs or other animals as long as its done humanely.

karrie
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

I wonder how many dogs the SPCA puts down everyday?

I honestly don't feel that's a fair comparison.

Animals should always be treated with respect and not have undue cruelty leveled against them. And if one makes the decision to bring an animal into their home as a pet, I think they take on an added responsibility. The SPCA typically takes in animals that people have made pets of. I know it's an emotional argument, not a logical one, but those animals were made to think they were part of a family. The abandonment and mistreatment of chosen pets bugs me.

But working animals are not pets. They are a commodity. And just because they are the same type as someone's pet (my cousin has a pet pig, she still eats bacon), doesn't mean they can be treated with the same luxuries a pet can.

Nuggler
+1
Check out "free stuff" on Kijiji some time.

"We are moving and can't take our (insert breed of dog) which we've had for 9 years. He needs to go to a good home with lots of space to run............etc etc etc etc

You had the goddam dog for 9 freakin years and you''re going to hand it off to whomever. Jesus H Christ

Shyte like this happens everyday. It would be kinder to have the dog put down. Take it to a vet and pay the money or put a .22 between its eyes. Man up for Christ's sake.

I''d like to know how the guy killed the dogs. If he shot them cleanly, not nice, but better than leaving them to starve. It's rumoured that sled dogs are sometimes tied out and abandoned. Too bad "they " chose this particular person to pillory.

When puppy mills get busted, normally the owner pleads poverty and gets a fine. Opens up again the next month. Media has a darling for a week and then it's forgotten.

A lot of mealymouth words are spoken, but in the final an-alysis, very few really, honestly, give a sh it.

As in solving the problem of homelessness or world hunger. Yep, good thoughts Throw in a couple of bucks and you can get a donut and a double double.

petros
+1
Horses and oxen are beast of burden just like a sled dog. Some people are jaded enough to think of horses as pets but they aren't and neither are sled dogs.

JLM
+1

Horses and oxen are beast of burden just like a sled dog. Some people are jaded enough to think of horses as pets but they aren't and neither are sled dogs.

I agree, but when it comes to cruelty they all hurt the same!

petros
+1

I agree, but when it comes to cruelty they all hurt the same!

He shot them. No cruelty there, he didn't beat or starve them to death.

JLM

He shot them. No cruelty there, he didn't beat or starve them to death.

Apparently you are totally correct......................................... except for 9 dogs.

bill barilko

Apparently you are totally correct......................................... except for 9 dogs.

And it's for making those 9 dogs suffer that he has become a social pariah and will remain so for life.