Police investigate Brampton students for alleged offensive tweets

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Nine students at a Brampton Catholic high school are under police investigation for allegedly posting offensive comments about teachers on Twitter.

Several students at St. Marguerite d’Youville Secondary School were told not to come to school Wednesday after police were made aware of the tweets – some of which were sexual in nature.

The school maintains its right to punish students even though the comments were not posted using school computers, according to Bruce Campbell, director of communications for the Dufferin-Peel Catholic School Board.

“Even if you use social media on your own time, you don’t have a right to malign anyone,” said Campbell.

A decision on how to punish the students will be made tomorrow, Campbell said.

Police investigate Brampton students for alleged offensive tweets - thestar.com

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Good thing the head master couldn't read my mind and all the things I was thinking about Sister Mary Kennedy when I was in school.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
If it were one of my kids involved I would have to go on my own twitter/facebook rampage about said teachers and the pricipal just to prove the point they are being idiots. :roll:

My hand basket began been woven long long ago.

I can't be sure but I think I am on #3 already ;-):lol:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
There is a fine line here, if they are making comments about teachers on their own time that is one thing
but if those are of a threatening nature that is something else.
I think this was a case of nasty comments some sexual in nature, we don't know what those comments
were,. Were they comments about sex acts or that the person was a p***k we don't know that. I don't
think any organization should have the right to take action against someone for their opinion while they
are at home. Sounds pretty intrusive to me on the surface.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Hard to comment without knowing what the comments were, but from a personal point of view.... what is the point of school? (Jaded, I know, but bear with me). School is workforce training. It frees both parents up to take part in the work force, and conditions children to enter said workforce. That's its current social role. I've told my kids before when they complain about the relevance of the text book material, that a HUGE part of their education is not just memorizing books, and performing menial tasks, but that the broader skill school teaches is how to listen, how to learn, and how to get along with 'bosses' you may not like.

Given that basic fact, my kids would have zero support from me if they got caught bashing someone they have to work daily with, on social media, and got suspended for it. But then, I won't allow my kid on social media until they're mature enough to understand basic facts like that, and I seem to be rare in expecting my kids to be respectful regardless of the situation.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Nine students at a Brampton Catholic high school are under police investigation for allegedly posting offensive comments about teachers on Twitter.

Several students at St. Marguerite d’Youville Secondary School were told not to come to school Wednesday after police were made aware of the tweets – some of which were sexual in nature.

The school maintains its right to punish students even though the comments were not posted using school computers, according to Bruce Campbell, director of communications for the Dufferin-Peel Catholic School Board.

“Even if you use social media on your own time, you don’t have a right to malign anyone,” said Campbell.

A decision on how to punish the students will be made tomorrow, Campbell said.

Police investigate Brampton students for alleged offensive tweets - thestar.com
Big deal. Can hardly say anything these days without someone getting offended by it. People really really need to grow skins.