Hero mom saves family of 7 from burning home

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
PETERSBURG, Va. (WTVR) - A Petersburg mother waking up to make a pot of coffee early Monday morning saved her family from a fire.

Barbara Tucker says she was walking down the hallway when she spotted smoke and flames around 7 a.m.

That’s when she started yelling for her family, including her daughter’s three-and half-year-old son and her 92-year-old father-in-law, to get out of the house.

“And I was screaming for my son and my husband and my daughter and her son to get out,” Tucker said.

Seven family members made their way out front door to the driveway, where they saw flames shooting up the side of the house.

“I think she’s a hero, because she woke everybody up,” Lakeshia Tucker, who escaped the flames, said.

more

Hero mom saves family of 7 from burning home | WTVR.com

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Hero? lol Normally, she'd just stay silent and let her family burn? oooooooooooooookaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Exactly what I was thinking. It's great that everyone got out unscathed and all, don't get me wrong, but I'm not sure I'd use the term hero. Seems like letting sleeping people know that the house is on fire is just the human thing to do in that situation.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
lol, how jaded but I couldn't help but think it's not 'heroic' when you save your own family, it's common sense. Pulling other people's families out of fires, that's heroism.

Exactly what I was thinking. It's great that everyone got out unscathed and all, don't get me wrong, but I'm not sure I'd use the term hero. Seems like letting sleeping people know that the house is on fire is just the human thing to do in that situation.

I guess it's a fine line between human and hero. What some people consider heroic, others would never consider not doing. I have three family members who've earned medals for heroism, and they all scoffed at them. Two were from fires where they saved the lives of children and suffered major burns to do so. The last was the one that chokes me up the most, and was when a family member crawled into the wreckage of a car versus semi, to hold and calm a woman down while she died. All three of them would say it's just the human thing to do, but I guess it's that they took a personal risk, to do what they did, that kind of defines it for me.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
lol, how jaded but I couldn't help but think it's not 'heroic' when you save your own family, it's common sense. Pulling other people's families out of fires, that's heroism.

I don't think it's jaded,lol. It is only common sense. I can understand the kids or husband saying "Wow, she's my hero" but it's not the general label I'd put on her. She was just being a member of the family by alerting others of the fire.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I don't think it's jaded,lol. It is only common sense. I can understand the kids or husband saying "Wow, she's my hero" but it's not the general label I'd put on her. She was just being a member of the family by alerting others of the fire.

But she is also somebody who didn't have the common sense to install or check her smoke detector.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
But she is also somebody who didn't have the common sense to install or check her smoke detector.

My fire alarm is ridiculously sensitive to steam..... to the heat of an opened oven door (resulting in the ongoing joke that dinner's done when the alarm goes off)... but stupidly ineffective at detecting actual smoke.