Woman denied haircut goes to Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

What did Layton do?

Pay a tip? I don't know, wasn't there.

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
Goober

So we can all get memberships at Curves now right?

The curves case went to court and it was found to be justified. Reason, some men can be pigs around women.

DaSleeper
+3
The question that needs to be answered is..........In Human Rights Court poker......Does a "Gay Straight" (pun intended) beat a "Muslim Flush"

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

The question that needs to be answered is..........In Human Rights Court poker......Does a "Gay Straight" (pun intended) beat a "Muslim Flush"

[

Bar Sinister

So we can all get memberships at Curves now right?

"Memberships" as the term implies means that the club can exclude non-members. But you knew that didn't you?

So far as I know the barbershop in question was not a private club.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar SinisterView Post

"Memberships" as the term implies means that the club can exclude non-members. But you knew that didn't you?

So far as I know the barbershop in question was not a private club.

So you think men's barbershops should require memberships?

btw, what I just did there is redundant, as it's pretty socially accepted that barbershops are for men.

petros
Has she ever demanded a male stylist at a salon?

taxslave
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

The curves case went to court and it was found to be justified. Reason, some men can be pigs around women.

Women think we are all pigs anyway. Still doesn't excuse discrimination based on sex.

karrie
+2
I get so tired of the notion that equality and freedom mean all people get treated the same 100% of the time.

You can't force someone to be comfortable working on the opposite sex. To give men a very clear illustration of the fact that men and women do not receive the same treatment everywhere and all the time, due to cultural and religious reasons, I challenge every male here to head down to their local salon, and ask the esthetician for a Brazilian wax.

And please, take a video camera with you!

petros

Women think we are all pigs anyway. Still doesn't excuse discrimination based on sex.

How will you ever get rid of those saddlebags?

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

A request for a lunch-hour haircut has turned into a battle over human rights, pitting freedom of religion against a woman’s right not to be denied service based on her gender.

Faith McGregor walked into the Terminal Barber Shop on Bay St. in June to get a haircut — the “businessman,” short on the sides, tapered, trim the top. The shop, like many barbers in Toronto, doesn’t do women’s haircuts. But McGregor, 35, said she wanted a men’s cut.

Shop co-owner Omar Mahrouk told her his Muslim faith prohibits him from touching a woman who is not a member of his family. All the other barbers said the same thing.

“For me it was just a haircut and started out about me being a woman. Now we’re talking about religion versus gender versus human rights and businesses in Ontario,” said McGregor.

She filed a complaint with the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario almost immediately, saying she felt like a “second-class citizen.”

more about this whining

Woman denied haircut goes to Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario - thestar.com

I didn`t know a barber actually had to touch a head in order to cut hair off it. But anyway, I`d have just gone to a different barber. Whatta beetch.

Bar Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

So you think men's barbershops should require memberships?

btw, what I just did there is redundant, as it's pretty socially accepted that barbershops are for men.

Didn't say anything about barbershops requiring memberships. What I said was that in Canada women should be free of the restrictions applied to them in many Muslim nations. So far as I am concerned this is what this issue is all about - namely a misogynistic culture attempting to impose its values on Canada.

SLM

I get so tired of the notion that equality and freedom mean all people get treated the same 100% of the time.

You can't force someone to be comfortable working on the opposite sex. To give men a very clear illustration of the fact that men and women do not receive the same treatment everywhere and all the time, due to cultural and religious reasons, I challenge every male here to head down to their local salon, and ask the esthetician for a Brazilian wax.

And please, take a video camera with you!

You'd better provide me with copies!!!

In HD, widescreen please.

Didn't say anything about barbershops requiring memberships. What I said was that in Canada women should be free of the restrictions applied to them in many Muslim nations. So far as I am concerned this is what this issue is all about - namely a misogynistic culture attempting to impose its values on Canada.

Is it really? I've seen misogyny and this does not smell anything like misogyny to me. The man in this article was not saying that no man anywhere should do what was asked of him, he just said that he cannot based on the tenets of his religion.

We can make mountains out of whatever molehills we find, if we did that for every little molehill we'd be doing nothing else but litigating with one another constantly.

We need to sometimes pick our battles but we need to choose wisely when we do. I think she chose very, very poorly.

petros

Should a kosher or halal butcher be forced to cut and sell pork because Canadian bacon is part of our culinary culture?

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Should a kosher or halal butcher be forced to cut and sell pork because Canadian bacon is part of our culinary culture?

The question is, should he be allowed to refuse to sell the pork to someone with a vag.

Machjo

Seems the opposite to me. She's trying to impose her values on him. Now while he may be Muslim, this doesn't have to be a Muslim matter. Again, I ask, should a woman be allowed to specialize as a masseuse for women only, or a man as a masseur for men only, especially if the masseur or masseuse in question is married and just feels uncomfortable massaging a person of the opposite sex no matter how innocent and legitimate the massage may be?

And where do we draw the line between massage and a haircut? Granted a haircut involves minimal physical contact, but it still does, so the concept is the same albeit to a lesser degree.

karrie
+3

Taking religion out of the equation, pretend he'd never said that, do barber shops have to accomodate women? It makes no sense to me that they should have to.

And how is it misogynistic to say that strangers shouldn't touch one another? The cultural taboo applies equally to both genders.

CanIrish
Nice to see her turn the tables on BS discrimination claims. Good luck to her!

Bar Sinister

Taking religion out of the equation, pretend he'd never said that, do barber shops have to accomodate women? It makes no sense to me that they should have to.

And how is it misogynistic to say that strangers shouldn't touch one another? The cultural taboo applies equally to both genders.

I get my hair cut at the hairdressing salon my wife visits. No one has ever objected to cutting my hair. As for touching - maybe this Muslim bigot needs to find another job. BTW it should be more than obvious that of all the current major religions Islam is the most hostile to women. I define that as mysoginist. You can call it what you want.

Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

Seems the opposite to me. She's trying to impose her values on him. Now while he may be Muslim, this doesn't have to be a Muslim matter. Again, I ask, should a woman be allowed to specialize as a masseuse for women only, or a man as a masseur for men only, especially if the masseur or masseuse in question is married and just feels uncomfortable massaging a person of the opposite sex no matter how innocent and legitimate the massage may be?

And where do we draw the line between massage and a haircut? Granted a haircut involves minimal physical contact, but it still does, so the concept is the same albeit to a lesser degree.

Read my reply to Karrie. BTW if you think asking a barber for a haircut is imposing some sort of values then you have a differnt idea of imposing than I do.

no new posts