Man arrested for helping wife die in mercy killing

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
via Fark:

"There are times when you get old like this, you feel like you've lived too damn long" Man arrested for helping wife die in mercy killing

SUN CITY, Ariz. -- An 85-year-old Sun City man charged with killing his wife is out of jail. The Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said George Sanders was released Monday, just three days after telling police he shot his wife because she asked him to do it.

While Sanders now faces first-degree murder charges some believe the killing was far less than criminal, characterizing it as an act of compassion.

Standing in black-and-white jail clothes for his first court appearance Saturday, Sanders quickly interjected, “my wife,” when the judge characterized Virginia Sanders as “the victim.” He also asked the judge for help after admitting he didn’t understand or have “any experience” with the criminal justice system.

“Excuse me, can I ask you a favor?” George Sanders asked the judge before being taken back to his jail cell. “I’m so cold and I’ve been so cold. At my age my back is spasming and I can’t stop. Could I be given a blanket or two?”

more

Man accused of shooting elderly wife in 'mercy killing' released from jail | azfamily.com Phoenix

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I can completely get behind compassionate choices for ending life when there is suffering. And this may be one of those situations as is claimed.

But this gives me pause:

he shot his wife because she asked him to do it.
Maybe I'm wrong but I find that method of ending ones life would not be one I think very many people would choose and it's what makes me very skeptical.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I can completely get behind compassionate choices for ending life when there is suffering. And this may be one of those situations as is claimed.

But this gives me pause:

Maybe I'm wrong but I find that method of ending ones life would not be one I think very many people would choose and it's what makes me very skeptical.
You mean: whose life was he putting out of its misery?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
You mean: whose life was he putting out of its misery?

Essentially yes. I could buy his story but for the method of killing used.

If you were near the end of your life, in pain and miserable and you wanted someone to help end your pain, would you ask someone to shoot you? I don't think that option would even occur to me.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

If you were near the end of your life, in pain and miserable and you wanted someone to help end your pain, would you ask someone to shoot you? I don't think that option would even occur to me.
It would depend on where he shot her and what weapon he used, A 357 Mag to the temple would probably not even register a sound before her life ended; messy but quick.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It would depend on where he shot her and what weapon he used, A 357 Mag to the temple would probably not even register a sound before her life ended; messy but quick.

She died in hospital a couple of days later. So not so quick. Now could be he was just a really lousy shot.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere too that women will very, very rarely choose a gun as the method of suicide, which also adds to my skepticism. Maybe she asked him to end her life and suffering and he just automatically thought "I'll use a gun." You'd think that would be something that they would communicate though.

I don't know. Maybe the whole thing is legitimate a mercy killing, I might be wrong. But something just doesn't "feel" right about it to me.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

More probable for a farm person than a city dweller.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
She died in hospital a couple of days later. So not so quick. Now could be he was just a really lousy shot.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere too that women will very, very rarely choose a gun as the method of suicide, which also adds to my skepticism. Maybe she asked him to end her life and suffering and he just automatically thought "I'll use a gun." You'd think that would be something that they would communicate though.

I don't know. Maybe the whole thing is legitimate a mercy killing, I might be wrong. But something just doesn't "feel" right about it to me.

The thing is we do not know very much. We know that she was ill - we know he used a weapon.

We know that women generally do not choose a violent way to end their life. That is when they are choosing
We know that men generally choose a violent suicide more so than women.

We also know that men are more successful than women when attempting suicide.

We know that we have little information.

We also know that cases like this will increase over the next 20-40 years.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The thing is we do not know very much.

Yeah, lol, we never know very much. It's all speculation really, what we do on these boards isn't it?

We know that she was ill - we know he used a weapon.

We know that women generally do not choose a violent way to end their life. That is when they are choosing
We know that men generally choose a violent suicide more so than women.

We also know that men are more successful than women when attempting suicide.

We know that we have little information.

And I may be completely off on this, it's just stuck me as a weird way for a woman, who's life was all about suffering, to ask to die.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Yeah, lol, we never know very much. It's all speculation really, what we do on these boards isn't it?

And I may be completely off on this, it's just stuck me as a weird way for a woman, who's life was all about suffering, to ask to die.

Because it is quick, or should be. To not ask her husband to sit while she slowly dies in another way of committing suicide. If their relationship was as the news reported she would not want him to watch and suffer while she died a longer death.
Just another perspective.

We know nothing about their relationship except he was a loving husband. But that is only a news report.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Because it is quick, or should be. To not ask her husband to sit while she slowly dies in another way of committing suicide. If their relationship was as the news reported she would not want him to watch and suffer while she died a longer death.
Just another perspective.

That's a good point and something I honestly didn't consider.

We know nothing about their relationship except he was a loving husband. But that is only a news report.
Of course we don't know anything different than what he says and, to be truthful, my natural inclination would be to empathize and sympathize with the man. Although it can happen at any time, you don't normally see people suddenly decide to 'do in' their spouse after that many years together, if one was so inclined to murder their spouse you'd think they'd do it sooner.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
That's a good point and something I honestly didn't consider.

Of course we don't know anything different than what he says and, to be truthful, my natural inclination would be to empathize and sympathize with the man. Although it can happen at any time, you don't normally see people suddenly decide to 'do in' their spouse after that many years together, if one was so inclined to murder their spouse you'd think they'd do it sooner.

These cases of last resort are complicated. Many commit suicide as they see no way out, not wanting to be a burden. In cases like this a loving couple (news reports) choose a way that many cannot understand.

Myself if i was a burden i would want to have the ability to make my choice, a terminal illness comes to mind. Where pain becomes to much. the suffering that a family goes thru.
Think of Lou Gerhig's disease. A horrible way to die. I had friends go that way. The suffering is immense. For everyone.
One reason why I support a right to die. With strict controls. Not like the Netherlands have gone. The controls have weakened.

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis - PubMed Health

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
These cases of last resort are complicated. Many commit suicide as they see no way out, not wanting to be a burden. In cases like this a loving couple (news reports) choose a way that many cannot understand.

Myself if i was a burden i would want to have the ability to make my choice, a terminal illness comes to mind. Where pain becomes to much. the suffering that a family goes thru.
Think of Lou Gerhig's disease. A horrible way to die. I had friends go that way. The suffering is immense. For everyone.
One reason why I support a right to die. With strict controls. Not like the Netherlands have gone. The controls have weakened.

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis - PubMed Health

Well Goober, we all have a right to die, suicide is not illegal. It may get you a free stay in a mental ward for a short time but it is not criminal. The issue is whether someone who helps you die is culpable of a homicide. I say if you are of sound mind when you make the decision then proper assistance should be allowed and the person assisting should be clear.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Well Goober, we all have a right to die, suicide is not illegal. It may get you a free stay in a mental ward for a short time but it is not criminal. The issue is whether someone who helps you die is culpable of a homicide. I say if you are of sound mind when you make the decision then proper assistance should be allowed and the person assisting should be clear.

Can somebody point me to a quote where Jesus said it is not OK to help somebody commit suicide?

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

If I was the one being killed I think Id prefer being shot to most of the alternatives. Im hoping euthanasia is legal if/when I need it. I might not want it, but Id like the option.

I wouldnt be able to do what this guy did though. Not with the laws the way they are now. Im not willing to go to jail over it. Its unfortunate that this couple found themselves in this situation but I imagine many others do.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
If I was the one being killed I think Id prefer being shot to most of the alternatives.

Really? I'd opt for an overdose.

Im hoping euthanasia is legal if/when I need it. I might not want it, but Id like the option.

I wouldnt be able to do what this guy did though. Not with the laws the way they are now. Im not willing to go to jail over it. Its unfortunate that this couple found themselves in this situation but I imagine many others do.
Absolutely, I fully support the option for a right to die a dignified and painless death should someones situation be that dire. Helping someone you truly love and care for end their pain and suffering is a tremendously difficult task but it is, I believe, one done out of love and it would take an enormous amount of personal strength to do it.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

I guess with a higher number of elderly it can't help but increase but I can't help but wonder if you mean percentage wise for some reason.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Personally, as far as this case goes, I think there was really no option other than to arrest him. Say what we will about our right to die, and the place of a family member in helping us along, but really look critically at this case and I can't help but think they needed to investigate if that's even what happened in the first place. I hate to say it but there could be a dozen different variables that made this homicide, not assisted suicide.