U.S. death row inmate says he's too obese to be executed

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
U.S. death row inmate says he's too obese to be executed | CTV News

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- A condemned killer fighting his execution because of his extreme weight does not have accessible veins in his arms or hands and could not receive a lethal injection in his legs because he is so obese, a doctor said in a court filing.

Death row inmate Ronald Post wants a federal judge to stop his January execution on the grounds his weight could cause him to suffer severe pain during the procedure. The state opposes the request.

Ohio attorneys had criticized an earlier filing by Post based on an ****ysis by a doctor who didn't examine him.

Thursday's filing sought to counter that opposition by presenting the affidavit of a doctor who extensively examined Post and interviewed him about his medical history.

It is "highly unlikely" that an IV could be placed in Post's legs and "extremely unlikely" that veins could be found in his hands, Ohio State medical centre anesthesiologist Sergio Bergese said in affidavit dated Oct. 31 and filed Thursday.

Post also has scars on his left and right forearms from a suicide attempt that make his veins inaccessible for an IV, Bergese said. Post weighs more than 400 pounds, the doctor said......

.... Post, 53, is scheduled to die Jan. 16 for the 1983 shooting death of Helen Vantz in Elyria.

Attempted suicide in the past, has murdered someone, yet it now fighting not to be executed for his crimes?

Interesting... if they reject his arguments, I suppose he could go on a hunger strike.

How does someone get that large eating prison food since the early/mid 80's?? :?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It's not weird to want to be in control of when and how you die. Inflicting pain upon yourself is not the same as having someone else inflict it upon you. Personally I say let him go naturally. But then, I don't support the death penalty so go figure.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Can't do lethal injection...use the good old fashioned firing squad. Maybe a guillotine.

If he's too fat for a needle, he's too fat for anything. Shooting someone is not painless, and a guy that big it's bound to go wrong. A guillotine, same thing. If you're going to do anything, take a page from the health care system, and haul him down to the vet to be dealt with. Or maybe the slaughter house. A pneumatic bolt to the head like a steer might do the trick. anyone got the stomach for that?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
he better not win his appeal to be saved, or all of the death row inmates will be eating the prison
bare. lol
He's got to have something wrong with him to be able to gain that much on a controlled diet. I doubt the average inmate could pull it off. lol.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Can't do lethal injection...use the good old fashioned firing squad. Maybe a guillotine.

That would involve changing the laws and coming up with new procedures. Unless the state has a secondary method of execution it'd have to be lethal injection.

I imagine it'd be difficult to move his body once he is dead.

I'm against the death penalty but even I think this is a pretty weird form of defense. They can just use more drugs. I believe the drugs for an execution are only a few hundred dollars. I guess it is also possible that the state is running low on it as Europe refuses to sell them to the US.

If you're going to do anything, take a page from the health care system, and haul him down to the vet to be dealt with. Or maybe the slaughter house. A pneumatic bolt to the head like a steer might do the trick. anyone got the stomach for that?

A few states actually do use the same drugs vets use to euthanize animals.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- A condemned killer fighting his execution because of his extreme weight does not have accessible veins in his arms or hands and could not receive a lethal injection in his legs because he is so obese, a doctor said in a court filing.
The neck! Nice try porkchop and porkchop's lawyer.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
That would involve changing the laws and coming up with new procedures. Unless the state has a secondary method of execution it'd have to be lethal injection.
The law already said he is to die. There are a lot of old procedures that work just fine.

I'm against the death penalty but even I think this is a pretty weird form of defense. They can just use more drugs. I believe the drugs for an execution are only a few hundred dollars. I guess it is also possible that the state is running low on it as Europe refuses to sell them to the US.
A double-tap with a .45 is cheaper, quicker, and painless. Why pu$$y-foot around? If you're gonna execute someone just do it without all the dog & pony show about being humane.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
We can say dog but we can't say *****. Are WE in KSA?
Snatch, muff, fur burger, gash, slit, hole, vajayjay, cooch, cooze, cooter, flange, minge, box, panty hamster, privates, private parts, bits, down there, peach, flower, kitty, tutu, wee wee, no no, cookie, muffin, cupcake, tweeny, front butt, who hoo/woo hoo, hoo hoo, foo foo, beaver, kitty, monkey, cherry, bearded clam, furry taco, tuna taco, fur burger, cream pie, beef curtains, meat curtains, meat sleeve, hair pie, honey pot, mossy cleft, hot box, squeeze box, vertical smile,c ha cha, love tunnel, poon, poontang and fud.....

But NO *****!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Snatch, muff, fur burger, gash, slit, hole, vajayjay, cooch, cooze, cooter, flange, minge, box, panty hamster, privates, private parts, bits, down there, peach, flower, kitty, tutu, wee wee, no no, cookie, muffin, cupcake, tweeny, front butt, who hoo/woo hoo, hoo hoo, foo foo, beaver, kitty, monkey, cherry, bearded clam, furry taco, tuna taco, fur burger, cream pie, beef curtains, meat curtains, meat sleeve, hair pie, honey pot, mossy cleft, hot box, squeeze box, vertical smile,c ha cha, love tunnel, poon, poontang and fud.....

But NO *****!

*sigh* please don't populate the autocensor.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Civilized countries don't kill their citizens. We'll leave that to the US and Saudi Arabia

We just spend $100 million a year housing and feeding the mass murderers and rapists and giving them satellite TV & pool tables. I support the death penalty for premeditated murder and multiple rape counts and I don't see the point in being namby-pamby about it. $2.50 a piece for a hollow point .45 shell and $12 for a crappy tire shovel so they can dig their own grave.

Hope that isn't to much of a left-wing attitude for Teddy.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
We just spend $100 million a year housing and feeding the mass murderers and rapists and giving them satellite TV & pool tables. I support the death penalty for premeditated murder and multiple rape counts and I don't see the point in being namby-pamby about it. $2.50 a piece for a hollow point .45 shell and $12 for a crappy tire shovel so they can dig their own grave.

Hope that isn't to much of a left-wing attitude for Teddy.

I'm sure you're proud.

• Afghanistan
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Bahamas
  • Bahrain
  • Bangladesh
  • Barbados
  • Belarus
  • Belize
  • Botswana
  • Chad
  • China (People's Republic)
  • Comoros
  • Congo (Democratic Republic)
  • Cuba
  • Dominica
  • Egypt
  • Equatorial Guinea
  • Ethiopia
  • Guinea
  • Guyana
  • India
  • Indonesia
  • Iran
  • Iraq
  • Jamaica
  • Japan
  • Jordan
  • Kuwait
  • Lebanon

• Lesotho
  • Libya
  • Malaysia
  • Mongolia
  • Nigeria
  • North Korea
  • Oman
  • Pakistan
  • Palestinian Authority
  • Qatar
  • St. Kitts and Nevis
  • St. Lucia
  • St. Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Sierra Leone
  • Singapore
  • Somalia
  • Sudan
  • Syria
  • Taiwan
  • Thailand
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • Uganda
  • United Arab Emirates
  • United States
  • Vietnam
  • Yemen
  • Zimbabwe
Pretty impressive list. I'm sure government sponsored murder supporters are quite happy to be in such fine company.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
The law already said he is to die. There are a lot of old procedures that work just fine.

It says he is to die by lethal injection which is this state's method. There are no legal old procedures on the books anymore. A number of states had to stop executions to come up with new procedures in the last 4-5 years. Some have new ones and have resumed executions, others such as California have not. It would not be legal for them to just shoot the person instead (unless they are in Utah and the prisoner opted for a firing squad).

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
A double-tap with a .45 is cheaper, quicker, and painless. Why pu$$y-foot around? If you're gonna execute someone just do it without all the dog & pony show about being humane.

Because at the moment it is illegal. To not do it humanely would be unconstitutional. The US supreme court has stopped or delayed many executions when the method was in question.

Ohio could always give it a shot though. Change their method of execution to one bullet to the back of the head, but it'd have to be passed by the state government first.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I'm sure you're proud.

• Afghanistan
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Bahamas
  • Bahrain
  • Bangladesh
  • Barbados
  • Belarus
  • Belize
  • Botswana
  • Chad
  • China (People's Republic)
  • Comoros
  • Congo (Democratic Republic)
  • Cuba
  • Dominica
  • Egypt
  • Equatorial Guinea
  • Ethiopia
  • Guinea
  • Guyana
  • India
  • Indonesia
  • Iran
  • Iraq
  • Jamaica
  • Japan
  • Jordan
  • Kuwait
  • Lebanon

• Lesotho
  • Libya
  • Malaysia
  • Mongolia
  • Nigeria
  • North Korea
  • Oman
  • Pakistan
  • Palestinian Authority
  • Qatar
  • St. Kitts and Nevis
  • St. Lucia
  • St. Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Sierra Leone
  • Singapore
  • Somalia
  • Sudan
  • Syria
  • Taiwan
  • Thailand
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • Uganda
  • United Arab Emirates
  • United States
  • Vietnam
  • Yemen
  • Zimbabwe
Pretty impressive list. I'm sure government sponsored murder supporters are quite happy to be in such fine company.

I am not proud to molly-coddle murderers and rapists and I don't think any liberal good intentions will make them better people so why waste the money & manpower. Here is another thing for you....someone murders or rapes one of my family members and there won't even be the cost of the trial let alone 18 appeals and a lifetime of free food & entertainment.