Regina man gets jail for racist messages.


CDNBear
#31
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Old Medic, Bear- I certainly don't have the answers. In general terms if one man's "freedoms" compromises anothers man's freedoms, then "freedoms" become a mute point. Now if you spread it all over town that one person is a thief (when he isn't), that is probably much worse than saying an entire demography are thieves. J.M.H.O.

Society compromises peoples freedoms all the time.

Why is the topic of the deportation of specific groups of people based on ethnicity or religion any more abhorrent than the topic of the deportation of illegal immigrants, or the imprisonment of criminals?
 
JLM
#32
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Actually if he is directing his message towards specific people then we're venturing into libel/slander which is a whole different ball of wax.

Not if he's telling the truth, especially if he can prove it.

Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Society compromises peoples freedoms all the time.

Why is the topic of the deportation of specific groups of people based on ethnicity or religion any more abhorrent than the topic of the deportation of illegal immigrants, or the imprisonment of criminals?

I suppose because "based on ethnicity or religion" doesn't substantiate any crime?
 
CDNBear
#33
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I suppose because "based on ethnicity or religion" doesn't substantiate any crime?

What is crime but an act against a societies prescribed social code.

How was that code set to policy, but through communication.
Last edited by CDNBear; Nov 8th, 2012 at 11:58 AM..
 
SLM
+1
#34
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Not if he's telling the truth, especially if he can prove it.

I'm operating under the assumption that his posts reflect his hatred and not actual wrongs. He may perceive them to be wrongs cast judgment upon a wider community, but that doesn't mean that they actually are.
 
JLM
#35
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

I'm operating under the assumption that his posts reflect his hatred and not actual wrongs. He may perceive them to be wrongs cast judgment upon a wider community, but that doesn't mean that they actually are.

I'm guessing he was wronged by a few people of the demographic and is jumping to the conclusion they are all that way. I think he is either nuts or naive enough to actually believe it. In either case prison probably isn't the answer.
 
Corduroy
#36
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

Freedom of speech does not extend the abuse of someone else's rights. Promoting the deportation of fellow Canadians because one doesn't like their looks is bound to get you into hot water.

Whose rights did he abuse?
 
SLM
#37
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I'm guessing he was wronged by a few people of the demographic and is jumping to the conclusion they are all that way.

Again, just because he perceives that he was wronged doesn't mean he actually was. If someone starts out with a racist attitude or tendency then any perceived slight easily and quickly becomes a huge wrong in his mind, I'm sure.

Quote:

I think he is either nuts or naive enough to actually believe it. In either case prison probably isn't the answer.

One thing prison will not do is curb his racist tendencies, that I can almost guarantee.

And again we're talking about locking someone up essentially because he has the wrong attitude, wrong being subjective of course (not that I don't agree that his thinking is wrong), and he won't shut up about it.
 
Nuggler
+1
#38
OK, so we're all agreed. Hang him in the morning.
 
earth_as_one
+1
#39
I support this person's right to say what they think, even though I find their opinions to be vile.
 
JLM
#40
Quote: Originally Posted by CorduroyView Post

Whose rights did he abuse?

That is a good question..........................possibly no ones!
 
Nuggler
+1
#41
[QUOTE=CDNBear;1670287]I'm already home.


Yah, I know, but,. like, if you had a choice of anywhere? just sayin.
 
taxslave
#42
I view limiting speech as being the same as banning or burning books. The end to democracy.
 
petros
#43
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

I view limiting speech as being the same as banning or burning books. The end to democracy.

Amen
 
JLM
#44
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

I view limiting speech as being the same as banning or burning books. The end to democracy.

Like why I disagree with "hate crimes"? They are so silly. The crime is the assault or the murder. If a straight person beats on a gay person he/she gets charged with a hate crime. What if a gay person beats on a straight person? Our laws are f**ked up!

Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Amen

Didn't realize you are religious!
 
petros
+1
#45
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Didn't realize you are religious!

I just don't wear it on my sleeve or pimp it like some do.
 
dumpthemonarchy
#46
Quote: Originally Posted by The Old MedicView Post

You either have "Free Speech" or you do not. Canada does NOT have "Free Speech", it limits your speech to what is considered to be politically correct.

Yes, technically he was not sent to jail for what he said, he was sent to jail for violating a Judges order. BUT, that order limited his right to "Free Speech".

I find people like this Neo-Nazi to be vile and horrible, but I would support their right to freely express whatever they wish, so long as they are not inciting to violence.

It is FAR better that people like this be allowed to express their sickness, than to bottle it up, and encourage them to actually act it out. Limiting their speech just drives them underground, increasing their chances of becoming violent in the future.

Agree with this comment This case is a waste of tax dollars. Human rights tribunals should be abolished.
 
tay
#47
A Regina man convicted of contempt of court in connection with posting racist messages online has lost his latest appeal.

Terry Tremaine, a former University of Saskatchewan math instructor, had his appeal dismissed Tuesday by the Federal Court of Appeal.

Tremaine's lawyer, Andrew Hitchcock, told CBC News that Tremaine will turn himself in to authorities and will begin serving his 30-day jail sentence.

Hitchcock said a decision whether or not to try to appeal to the Supreme Court hasn't been made yet.

Tremaine has been in and out of courtrooms for years after posting online messages that disparaged Jews, blacks and other minorities.

The Canadian Human Rights Tribunal ordered him to stop, and when he refused, he was charged with contempt.

He was convicted and sentenced in 2012 to serve a minimum of 30 days in jail, with another six months added if he violated conditions set by the judge.









Ex-university teacher who posted racist messages headed for jail - Saskatchewan - CBC News








 
petros
+1
#48
That's too bad.
 
Locutus
+2
#49
The 'Feelings' of the Few Outweigh the Needs of the Many
 
B00Mer
#50
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

That's too bad.

See you in 30 days Petros

"The theme of Mr. Tremaine's messages was that Jews, blacks and other non-whites are destroying Canada and they should either be deported or segregated,"

Must be something in the Sask water.. backward Province and backward people.
 
petros
#51
Where are you going?

Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

"The theme of Mr. Tremaine's messages was that Jews, blacks and other non-whites are destroying Canada and they should either be deported or segregated,"

He sounds just like Prime Minister Borden. Did he do time? No. He got on the 100 dollar bill.
 
taxslave
+1
#52
So basically he is going to jail for not obeying the ruling of a Kangaroo court, not for breaking any laws. And still sucking on the taxpayer ***.
 
Locutus
#53

morris albert - feelings 1975 mpg - YouTube

 
petros
+1
#54
Some people have more rights than others.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#55
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Some people have more rights than others.

Rich people, mostly.
 
MHz
#56
OMG I've used that term 'liar' several times in the past on this board, yikes.

30 days in the cooler, the homeless now have a cure for cold weather. Do you just walk up and turn yourself in?
 
Nuggler
#57
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

OMG I've used that term 'liar' several times in the past on this board, yikes.

30 days in the cooler, the homeless now have a cure for cold weather. Do you just walk up and turn yourself in?

Stand in front of a big box store window.
Any one will do.
Heave a brick through the window
Wait there for the cops.
Might getcha 30 days
Tell the judge to **** off
Getcha the whole winter
 
Colpy
#58
Personally, I like to keep racist lunatics out in the light of day, where I can watch them.
 
MHz
#59
I gave crime up when I was 15, I'd hate to think I passed up all that cash just to go that route in the end? Course there is a new 5,000 bed remand opening up soon and it has broadband. Wonder if they have a 'Come early Special'.
I'm pretty sure a brick brings out the guns these days and the paperwork is less time consuming than mending a sprained finger, your call.

Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Personally, I like to keep racist lunatics out in the light of day, where I can watch them.

Like being right in the middle type of watching? That called being part of the same crowd you self-confessed degenerate?
 

Similar Threads

60
private messages
by peapod | Jul 13th, 2005
no new posts