U.S. woman ordered to wear ‘idiot’ sign after driving on sidewalk to avoid stopping f

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
U.S. woman ordered to wear ‘idiot’ sign after driving on sidewalk to avoid stopping for school bus

U.S. woman ordered to wear ‘idiot’ sign after driving on sidewalk to avoid stopping for school bus | World | News | National Post

CLEVELAND — A woman caught on camera driving on a sidewalk to avoid a Cleveland school bus that was unloading children will have to stand at an intersection wearing a sign warning about idiots.

Court records show a Cleveland Municipal Court judge on Monday ordered 32-year-old Shena Hardin to stand at an intersection for two days next week. She will have to wear a sign saying: “Only an idiot drives on the sidewalk to avoid a school bus.”

The judge ordered her to wear the sign from 7:45 a.m. to 8:45 a.m. both days.

Hardin’s license was suspended for 30 days and she was ordered to pay $250 in court costs.

Messages seeking comment were left at a telephone listing for Hardin and at her attorney’s office.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The video of that one is crazy. And apparently it was set up, cops and videocameras at the ready, because she did it every freaking day.

That being said, I'm not sure how I feel about the sentence. The US's recent fondness of the 'dunce hat' punishment is a bit baffling.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The video of that one is crazy. And apparently it was set up, cops and videocameras at the ready, because she did it every freaking day.

That being said, I'm not sure how I feel about the sentence. The US's recent fondness of the 'dunce hat' punishment is a bit baffling.

I'm a little disappointed in that judge. He should have made it from 7:45 AM to 8:45 PM both days.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'm a little disappointed in that judge. He should have made it from 7:45 AM to 8:45 PM both days.

Well, I think because she was mainly endangering school children, she's mainly being shamed to said children. But, shaming and humiliating someone, versus making them apologize... I just can't get behind that. Mind you, I wasn't in the court room to see what kind of prize this woman must be.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Well, I think because she was mainly endangering school children, she's mainly being shamed to said children. But, shaming and humiliating someone, versus making them apologize... I just can't get behind that. Mind you, I wasn't in the court room to see what kind of prize this woman must be.

When the press approached her for a comment she grinned and said nothing. She is hardly sorry. It's out there on Youtube

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I think the sign is a good idea but she should have to wear it longer. Maybe an 'idiot' tattoo on her forehead would be better.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
They do (or did) something similar in Brazil-bad drivers have to attend kindergarten classes to learn about driving and their pictures were published in newspapers.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
I'm all for unconventional methods like public shaming. I don't have much sympathy for those who are dealt the occasional act of "street justice" either.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Public stocks were outlawed in the West a couple of centuries ago.. along with Scarlet Letters and such. It was based on the presumption that HUMILIATION is NOT a constructive corrective method. But in general our society seems to be regressing to vindictive justice.. as the economy and social order falls apart.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Public stocks were outlawed in the West a couple of centuries ago.. along with Scarlet Letters and such. It was based on the presumption that HUMILIATION is NOT a constructive corrective method. But in general our society seems to be regressing to vindictive justice.. as the economy and social order falls apart.

Okay, forget the shaming & humilliation, how about a good public flogging?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Unfortunately I have a problem with this. Wearing a sign is the law engaging in shame instead of
applying justice. Its a seventeenth and and eighteenth idea that proved not to work hundreds of
years ago so why would it work now.
The justice system is there to apply a reasonable penalty for the crime committed it is not there for
public humiliation or revenge or for the amusement of the general public. When this happens it
reduces the image of the law and its dignity. Shame cannot replace justice. These kinds of acts
are entered into when the system is failing the people and that we should be more concerned about..

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I'm all for unconventional methods like public shaming. I don't have much sympathy for those who are dealt the occasional act of "street justice" either.

If i was putting anyone in the stocks it'd put those corporate criminals the Waltons and their executives.. for shipping honest jobs to offshore sweatshops and ruining the national economy.. destroying North America's downtowns with their soul sapping malls.. gouging profits by creating a retail monopoly. Who's the bigger criminal and threat to society. A good flogging might do them and their running dogs some good.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
If i was putting anyone in the stocks it'd put those corporate criminals the Waltons and their executives.. for shipping honest jobs to offshore sweatshops and ruining the national economy.. destroying North America's downtowns with their soul sapping malls.. gouging profits by creating a retail monopoly. Who's the bigger criminal and threat to society. A good flogging might do them and their running dogs some good.

I couldn't disagree more. Got a problem with sweatshops? You might want to talk to China about that, not Walmart.

Gouging profits by creating a retail monopoly? Quit blaming Walmart for being successful. I'm a consumer. The days of small stores ripping me off are ending. I don't want to pay 40 dollars, I want to pay 20.

Who's a bigger criminal and threat? Walmart's not a criminal at all, so I'll go with actual criminals being a greater threat to us all.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Fine... Throw the book at her for the myriad of laws that she broke on the multiple occasions that were recorded.

Add it all up and perhaps she'll do a few years in jail.

Is that the solution you might support?

Dealing with the Waltons is easy - don't patronize their stores.

No one has a gun to the heads of the millions of people that shop there daily

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I don't have much sympathy for those who are dealt the occasional act of "street justice" either.

..and Jesus did say unto the towns folk, "Behold, when thou hast found thine own neighbor to be in conflict with the laws, give em a little bit of street justice"

Luke 12 I believe.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I couldn't disagree more. Got a problem with sweatshops? You might want to talk to China about that, not Walmart.

Gouging profits by creating a retail monopoly? Quit blaming Walmart for being successful. I'm a consumer. The days of small stores ripping me off are ending. I don't want to pay 40 dollars, I want to pay 20.

Who's a bigger criminal and threat? Walmart's not a criminal at all, so I'll go with actual criminals being a greater threat to us all.

Just because its legal.. doesn't mean its moral. The only way to impose morality on the Walmarts is legislate and regulate it.. since they, as much as any corporation now.. but certainly not limited to them, are fundamentally and constitutionally AMORAL.. driven soley by greed.

But in the nonsense of the fanatical Free Trade, Free Market ideology that has ruled the West for 40 years, that has all but disappeared. It doesn't make them any less criminal.. or less responsible for the dissolution of its economy and society.

Fine... Throw the book at her for the myriad of laws that she broke on the multiple occasions that were recorded.

Add it all up and perhaps she'll do a few years in jail.

Is that the solution you might support?

Dealing with the Waltons is easy - don't patronize their stores.

No one has a gun to the heads of the millions of people that shop there daily

I don't support draconian sentences for petty crimes.. such a shop lifting or personal use drug possession. But these have now been politicized now.. hence the return of the stocks.

And if you know anything about Walmart it is all about removing your option for purchasing elsewhere. It is a Trust in the model of Standard Oil.. wiping out competition on a local level.. then charging what the market will bear under its own monopoly. They are all about destroying competition.

Last edited: