Typical Opposition BS

Typical Opposition BS

• Total voters

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Typical Opposition BS

Opposition irate as RCMP brings vehicle from Canada for Harper’s India trip | Canadian Politics | Canada | News | National Post

India has had a number of Jihadist terror attacks.

We have soldiers in Afghanistan.

Is the Opposition just plain stupid or dammed stupid.

NEW DELHI — Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s trip to India took an unexpected twist Monday when his security guards brought their own armoured vehicles to drive him through the streets, sparking objections from the Official Opposition back in Ottawa.

The unusual development raised questions such as whether Harper faced a security threat in any of the four cities he is visiting, why the RCMP did not trust the Indian government to provide suitably protective vehicles, and how much it will cost Canadian taxpayers to ship the cars to India for the trip.

Harper’s office declined to answer questions on the matter and referred all queries to the RCMP, which operates the security detail that protects the prime minister.

“The RCMP makes the operational decisions on the prime minister’s security,” said Andrew MacDougall, Harper’s director of communications.

Cpl. Lucy Shorey, the RCMP’s media relations officer, released a brief written statement in response to questions.

“The deployment of RCMP resources are dictated by operational requirements, including public and officer safety considerations, and a threat assessment of the events/environments,” said in her statement. “For security reasons, details on the security plans will not be discussed.”

NDP finance critic Peggy Nash assailed the government for spending taxpayer dollars to ship the vehicles to India. She said that taking the prime minister’s limousines overseas has only ever been done in Haiti or war-torn countries, not the world’s largest democracy, India.

“Austerity doesn’t seem to apply to the prime minister,” she said, demanding the government identify the costs to ship the vehicles overseas. “This isn’t about security … How much is it costing to send the prime minister’s personal limos to the Taj Mahal?”

Public Safety Minister Vic Toews said the deployment of RCMP assets is based on operational considerations, including the safety of officers and the prime minister, and that the decision was indeed based on security.

“I rely on the RCMP and I trust their judgement,” Toews said. “Frankly, the RCMP, in fact, have made that decision. They’ve made it related to the prime minister’s security.”

Harper flew into the Indian city of Agra on Sunday evening and visited the nearby Taj Mahal mausoleum on Monday morning.

Security was tight for the visit. Thousands of tourists were told by whistle-blowing Indian security guards to leave prior to his arrival.

Harper received a private tour, without any tourists present, and rifle-toting soldiers were stationed in some towers nearby.

On Monday afternoon, he flew to New Delhi to meet business people at a hotel. His trip will bring him later in the week to the Indian cities of Chandigarh, home to a large population of Sikhs, and to Bangalore, where the country’s major high-tech firms are located.

Normally, when Harper travels abroad, he is driven in vehicles provided by the host country — apparently with the exception of highly dangerous nations such as Afghanistan.

But in Agra, he was driven in a black SUV with Ontario licence plates. Later, upon arriving at the airport in New Delhi Monday afternoon, he was guided by his security guards into a black Cadillac with Ontario plates.

MacDougall said he didn’t know how much it cost to ship the vehicles.

“The RCMP evaluates these . . . I don’t have the costs in front of me. We won’t know that for a while. These costs will all be disclosed in due course.”

Harper is in India to promote political and business ties. His aim is to triple annual bilateral trade to $15 billion by 2015, reach a free-trade agreement next year, negotiate an accord to protect Canadian investors’ legal rights in India, and resolve a long-standing nuclear dispute over how much detail Canada should get once it sells uranium to India to ensure it is used for peaceful purposes.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
This is absolute crap. We didn't need to fund shipment of 2 or more armoured vehicles and if his reason for going there was to f*ck Canadians out of more revenue with another piece of sh*t free-trade deal well we shouldn't have funded the trip at all. Why I need to pay for the moron to go and sell the citizens down the river is beyond me. Really, all these politicians that still push free trade ought to be tarred & feathered. Every time another one of these deals is done the govt loses revenue and places a higher burden on the individual citizens while giving corporations and businesses a break and I am fed up with it.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
Two vehicles is a security measure, so even inside people don't know which car will be used tomorrow.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
This is absolute crap. We didn't need to fund shipment of 2 or more armoured vehicles and if his reason for going there was to f*ck Canadians out of more revenue with another piece of sh*t free-trade deal well we shouldn't have funded the trip at all. Why I need to pay for the moron to go and sell the citizens down the river is beyond me. Really, all these politicians that still push free trade ought to be tarred & feathered. Every time another one of these deals is done the govt loses revenue and places a higher burden on the individual citizens while giving corporations and businesses a break and I am fed up with it.

Just by the few points I mentioned in the OP he is a target.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
$36.000/hr to fly the RCMP cars over and $45,000 for the Indian cars. Criminy, do I have to explain simple math to you?
No- Simple is your forte. I have admit to your strength in this area.

No- Simple is your forte. I have admit to your strength in this area.

So attack the OP - Prove the threat is non existent- and oh yes - take those reds and shove em.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Really, all these politicians that still push free trade ought to be tarred & feathered. Every time another one of these deals is done the govt loses revenue and places a higher burden on the individual citizens while giving corporations and businesses a break and I am fed up with it.
To bad for you I guess.
We need more free trade deals. One with China would be great.
Corporations and businesses create most of the jobs in Canada.

Keep going Harper, we need more outlets for our products, the US is in the dumps right now and for a number of years to come.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
So attack the OP - Prove the threat is non existent

I don't have to prove anything. Regardless of whether or not a threat exists, the security could have been much much cheaper. That was the point of my post. Sorry it went over your head.

- and oh yes - take those reds and shove em.

Keep going Harper, we need more outlets for our products, the US is in the dumps right now and for a number of years to come.

Yes we do. The Canadian government should have shown their eagerness to do business with India by...oh...I dunno...maybe doing business with India. Why not buy a few of these vehicles to show them our talk isn't just lip service?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
To bad for you I guess.

Free trade with China is impossible due to the playing field is not fair- nor level - You know that as well as I do.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Hahaha, India has security cars ???
Indians throw their guns on the ground and run as soon as they hear gunshots,,hahaha !!!

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
To bad for you I guess.

Oh sure....toss away another few billion in revenue and then make it up by taxing the citizens or borrowing it so our grandkids have to pay it off. It is just another example of corporations getting a free ride at the expense of the taxpayer.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Free trade with China is impossible due to the playing field is not fair- nor level - You know that as well as I do.

We got a free trade deal with Mexico and other Americas.
We can do it with China as well,,, maybe with a few tweaks!!!

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
We got a free trade deal with Mexico and other Americas.
We can do it with China as well,,, maybe with a few tweaks!!!

A few tweaks- the country is corrupt when awarding contracts. That is just for starters.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
I don't have to prove anything. Regardless of whether or not a threat exists, the security could have been much much cheaper. That was the point of my post. Sorry it went over your head.

I have to respectfully disagree.

If you were to ask me what kind of winter tires you should buy, I would tell you to buy good ones and find another place to save money.

My point? I don't expect our Prime Minister to save money with his choice of armored car.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I have to respectfully disagree.

If you were to ask me what kind of winter tires you should buy, I would tell you to buy good ones and find another place to save money.

My point? I don't expect our Prime Minister to save money with his choice of armored car.
It is the RCMP security that makes the calls. In this new world of terror I see no problem with this.