Free speech at Canadian universities ‘abysmal’

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Abysmal.

The “abysmal” state of free speech at Canadian public universities is stifling students’ right to speak their minds, according to a new report card that gives mostly failing grades to universities and their student unions.

Stifling AND abysmal

h/t sda

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
I don't doubt this for a second. Restricted speech on campuses is indicative of the restriction on speech for all of Canada. Hate speech laws? You serious? America got it right, not us.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
You can say whatever you like on Canadian Universities. Just make sure the PC thought police approve it first or your life in school will be less than dog****.

Last edited:

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
You can say whatever you like on Canadian Universities. Just make sure the PC thought police approve it first or your life in school will be less than dog****.

Exactly. And even though you and I disagree on religion, I'm sure you can see it from my point of view that on campuses you'd likely be crucified for proselytizing or especially calling homosexual behavior sinful. Meanwhile Christianity, conservatives, and Israel are all fair game for criticism. Go figure.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Exactly. And even though you and I disagree on religion, I'm sure you can see it from my point of view that on campuses you'd likely be crucified for proselytizing or especially calling homosexual behavior sinful. Meanwhile Christianity, conservatives, and Israel are all fair game for criticism. Go figure.

You would probably have a better chance of having a mosque than a church on campus. I tend to get a little upset with anyone that tries to squash free speech or ban books.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
People can say what ever they like but at the same time speech free or otherwise comes with
being responsible for the content of what is said. As for hate speech those who hate say a lot
of things, and those who say hateful things lose credibility saying them.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You would probably have a better chance of having a mosque than a church on campus. I tend to get a little upset with anyone that tries to squash free speech or ban books.
I never had any issues as a Catholic.

What are the odds you'd be able to set up a Caucasian Support Group on a campus?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You are old. Things have changed.
A Caucasian support group would be considered racist today on most universities.
I'm not old. I haven't bought a Corvette because my **** went limp....yet.

What is racist about a Caucasian support group? ALL other races and subsectors of society have them.

We have freedom, don't we?