Treatment of prisoner reprehensible!

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
I'm guessing that Smith had a track record in her behaviour towards the guards that lead to this treatment. The prison staff don't use those mesh hoods and the like for no reason at all.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm guessing that Smith had a track record in her behaviour towards the guards that lead to this treatment. The prison staff don't use those mesh hoods and the like for no reason at all.

My guess would be that it was the prison guards that allowed the situation to escalate to this point in the first place!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I don't understand what you mean by that

Surveillance videos screened publicly Wednesday at a coroner’s inquest into Ashley Smith’s prison death show the troubled teenager repeatedly tranquilized against her will, and at one point being threatened with having her face duct-taped.
That is just one example.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Surveillance videos screened publicly Wednesday at a coroner’s inquest into Ashley Smith’s prison death show the troubled teenager repeatedly tranquilized against her will, and at one point being threatened with having her face duct-taped.
That is just one example.

They did these things for a reason, I think that the mesh hoodie to prevent guards being spit upon say volumes in terms of Smith's treatment of the security personnel

Despite the actions of the security people, again, it was likely Smith's previous actions and track record that lead to the guards taking such harsh steps with her..

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The NP article seems very one sided. The real story is what this girl did to have so many run ins with the legal system.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
They did these things for a reason, I think that the mesh hoodie to prevent guards being spit upon say volumes in terms of Smith's treatment of the security personnel

Despite the actions of the security people, again, it was likely Smith's previous actions and track record that lead to the guards taking such harsh steps with her..

I don't buy that, Smith was a marginalized person to start with, a professional person in charge would have had the situation under control from the getgo. These guys are thugs!

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
The NP article seems very one sided. The real story is what this girl did to have so many run ins with the legal system.

That comment speaks volumes in terms of our society absolving people of their personal responsibilities for their individual actions

I don't buy that, Smith was a marginalized person to start with, a professional person in charge would have had the situation under control from the getgo. These guys are thugs!

Marginalized?.. She took the actions herself that lead to her incarceration. The original charges would see her in youth detention for 1-2 months, but her behavior increased that to over 4 years.

Ashley Smith charged over 500 times for behaviour in jail, court hears - thestar.com

Charged over 500 times...

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

I think the problem here is that these "thugs" are accustomed to dealing with individuals who behave in a willful destructive manner, ie someone out to make trouble for it's own sake. She may have been willful but her history (and of course hindsight is 20/20) does reveal some deep psychological issues that they were unqualified to recognize and deal with. But the administrators of the system (Corrections Canada) should have recognized it. I think the guards are the fall guys for the publics wrath, but really it needs to move up the chain.

That's my take on the whole Ashley Smith saga anyway.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

One possibility is it all got started with the home environment.

I think the problem here is that these "thugs" are accustomed to dealing with individuals who behave in a willful destructive manner, ie someone out to make trouble for it's own sake. She may have been willful but her history (and of course hindsight is 20/20) does reveal some deep psychological issues that they were unqualified to recognize and deal with. But the administrators of the system (Corrections Canada) should have recognized it. I think the guards are the fall guys for the publics wrath, but really it needs to move up the chain.

That's my take on the whole Ashley Smith saga anyway.

Yep, I think there is some truth in what you say. I would like to add that Corrections Canada may have been remiss either by not recruiting the right people or in not properly training the ones they recruited.

Charged over 500 times...

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is the clue right there. If something doesn't work after trying it once or twice, you can bet your bottom dollar the procedure won't work unless something is changed.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Corrections Canada is not set up to deal with serious mental problems. They deal with criminals. Unfortunately the do gooders have decided that locking up and treating people with mental problems for their own good is not PC. SO these people run around loose and might be OK when they take their meds but there is no one forcing them to.
The PC crowd that forced the closure of Riverview and turned the residents loose with no facilities to care for them should all be tossed in jail.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is the clue right there. If something doesn't work after trying it once or twice, you can bet your bottom dollar the procedure won't work unless something is changed.

Unbelievable.

You're blaming the corrections system for the 500 incidents that Smith abused personnel or broke the law?

I'm curious, do you think that someone that breaks the law should be held accountable at all or is it the fault of society?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Corrections Canada is not set up to deal with serious mental problems. They deal with criminals. Unfortunately the do gooders have decided that locking up and treating people with mental problems for their own good is not PC. SO these people run around loose and might be OK when they take their meds but there is no one forcing them to.
The PC crowd that forced the closure of Riverview and turned the residents loose with no facilities to care for them should all be tossed in jail.

Now we are getting somewhere. The problem there is much more mental than criminal in my view. BUT from what I gather some of the staff at Riverview were a little ruthless too. (I had some relatives confined there so maybe the closure was timely before it was my turn)

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

Certainly they should have just politely asked her to do what was required. I am sure she would have cheerfully complied.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Unbelievable.

You're blaming the corrections system for the 500 incidents that Smith abused personnel or broke the law?

I'm curious, do you think that someone that breaks the law should be held accountable at all or is it the fault of society?

Just to set you straight, if she broke a law while in prison they are bound to inform the police & crown counsel and send her to court. The correctional facility charges can be anything like not making your bed to the guard's satisfaction or calling a guard a name and is processed through their own kangaroo court where another guard acts as judge.

I do not know what went on but I can tell you that there are a lot of correctional workers that should not be there. Also, they are not trained to deal with mental issues, in fact their training is similar to police where they learn to lie and use excessive force and cover-up for each other so it must all be taken with a grain of salt.

They should all be required to undergo pre-hire mental evaluations and then every year or 2.

After a thorough read of the article I can see charges against a myriad of staff including an RCMP officer. It is no wonder they fought tooth & nail to bar the videos from being seen. I would have suspicions raised at the first mention of NOT showing the tapes as it leads one to believe they have something to hide...which they obviously did.

Now I am not excusing her behavior that led her to the predicament she was in but I'm not going to excuse the staff's behavior either.

Last edited:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Just to set you straight, if she broke a law while in prison they are bound to inform the police & crown counsel and send her to court. The correctional facility charges can be anything like not making your bed to the guard's satisfaction or calling a guard a name and is processed through their own kangaroo court where another guard acts as judge.

I do not know what went on but I can tell you that there are a lot of correctional workers that should not be there. Also, they are not trained to deal with mental issues, in fact their training is similar to police where they learn to lie and use excessive force and cover-up for each other so it must all be taken with a grain of salt.

They should all be required to undergo pre-hire mental evaluations and then every year or 2.

She was 'charged' over 500 times while in custody. Being 'charged' incorporates the formal complaint being issued with a court appearance at teh appropriate time. I don't believe for one minute that the 'charges' would include refusal to eat all of one's vegetables or not making your bed.

Clearly her track record of behavior justified her being heavily restrained during any transportation event, mesh mask to prevent spitting and the numerous accounts of kicking and biting security personnel. In my opinion, and in this case, it is Smith who is the instigator and the major problem in this equation.

What I find interesting is that the MSM has strategically omitted the inclusion of her ongoing record of violence against the prison guards and elected to paint this girl as an innocent victim. Ultimately, Smith was sentenced to about 1 or 2 months in youth detention, but her sociopathic behavior alongside her lengthy record of assaulting guards extended her sentence into years and bridged youth into adulthood.

The prison system is far from perfect and the security personnel aren't perfect either, but blaming everyone else but the actual perpetrator is regressive to the point that it takes 10 steps back for every step forward

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Portions of these videos were shown. However, the only reliable evidence would be to see the ENTIRE film, so you can see what happened BEFORE the actions this attorney is objecting to.