Recommendations made after B.C. jailhouse serial killing death

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

By MICHAEL MUI, QMI Agency

VANCOUVER - A coroner’s jury into the jailhouse murder of an incarcerated man by a fellow inmate two years ago has recommended exceptions be made by Corrections Canada to move dangerous offenders into single cell accommodations.
Jeremy Phillips, 23, was murdered on Nov. 21, 2010 by “Homicidal Drifter” Michael McGray, a serial killer serving six concurrent life sentences.
The 47-year-old, who was housed in Mountain Institution in Agassiz, B.C., pleaded guilty to the first-degree murder last year.
Reportedly, the slaying came just after McGray was moved from a maximum-security prison to the medium-security location in Agassiz.
The killer had previously declared he would murder a prison guard, an inmate or anyone else who would quench his seemingly insatiable hunger to take lives.
McGray claims to have killed 16 people across North America since his deadly rampage began in 1985.

The recommendation follows testimony from prison guards, a pathologist, the lead investigator and the victim’s mother, among others.
The jury made five total recommendations, including the correctional services considers mandatory single accommodation for multiple murderers, and for officials to provide better knowledge to prison staff about the inmates ahead of jail transfers.

Recommendations made after B.C. jailhouse serial killing death - Crime - Canoe.ca

What braintrust thought that moving someone classified as a serial killer from maximum to medium security institution was a good idea? And one that had stated he would kill within the institution no less?

Prison needs to be a place where society as a whole, guards and other inmates are protected from those that can't be trusted. Clearly this guy who was serving six concurrent life sentences would qualify as someone who couldn't be trusted.

Heads should roll over this.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

By MICHAEL MUI, QMI Agency

VANCOUVER - A coroner’s jury into the jailhouse murder of an incarcerated man by a fellow inmate two years ago has recommended exceptions be made by Corrections Canada to move dangerous offenders into single cell accommodations.
Jeremy Phillips, 23, was murdered on Nov. 21, 2010 by “Homicidal Drifter” Michael McGray, a serial killer serving six concurrent life sentences.

What braintrust thought that moving someone classified as a serial killer from maximum to medium security institution was a good idea? And one that had stated he would kill within the institution no less?

Prison needs to be a place where society as a whole, guards and other inmates are protected from those that can't be trusted. Clearly this guy who was serving six concurrent life sentences would qualify as someone who couldn't be trusted.

Heads should roll over this.

They walk among us!

Good morning SLM- Did you immerge from Sandy unscathed? Terrible about the woman who got killed being stuck by the sign.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
They walk among us!

Sometimes they do. But one would think that an incarcerated serial killer shouldn't be able to add to their death count.

Good morning SLM- Did you immerge from Sandy unscathed?

Well my hair got messed up in the wind. If you can call that unscathed. Lol

Terrible about the woman who got killed being stuck by the sign.

Yes I know, one of those freak occurrences I guess. Of course, we're not really used to that strong of a wind this far inland, so it's quite fortunate there wasn't more injury or death. I feel bad for the people in New Jersey and New York in their water logged neighbourhoods. :(

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yes I know, one of those freak occurrences I guess. Of course, we're not really used to that strong of a wind this far inland, so it's quite fortunate there wasn't more injury or death. I feel bad for the people in New Jersey and New York in their water logged neighbourhoods. :(

I see Frank Sinatra's home town got hit pretty hard!