HIV-positive Ottawa man found guilty of attempted murder for unprotected sex

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
OTTAWA -- Steven Boone sobbed Wednesday night after a jury concluded he tried to kill sex partners with HIV, finding him guilty of three counts of attempted murder along with six other charges.

“There’s no way I was trying to kill anyone,” Boone sobbed as he was taken away from the courtroom in shackles.

Boone’s distraught mother was led away, shouting at a bystander, by defence lawyers who along with prosecutors in the case, declined to comment pending Boone’s next legal battle.

Sentencing will be postponed until after the 31-year-old is tried on similar charges including attempted murder involving another alleged victim. The trial is scheduled to start Nov. 13.

In addition to attempted murder, Boone was convicted Wednesday of three counts of administering a noxious thing -- HIV -- and three counts of aggravated sexual assault related to three men he penetrated ****ly without a condom and one man he penetrated using a condom.

more

Sun News : HIV-positive Ottawa man found guilty of attempted murder for unprotected sex

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
No, he is trying to kill his partner. He SHOULD be convicted of attempted murder. The appropriate punishment would be total castration.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Kill? Unless you can 100% prove an HIV infection becomes AIDS then it's just aggrevated assault. His partner never knew about the risks of unprotected sex? Is he from Mars?

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I am torn on this. I think if you know you have AIDS and have unprotected sex you should be charged but I waffle on the murder/assault debate.

My question in this particular story is the charge for protected sex?

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I am torn on this. I think if you know you have AIDS and have unprotected sex you should be charged but I waffle on the murder/assault debate.

Only if the other partner did not consent. If a person knowingly takes their own chances in such a case would they then charge him with assisting in a suicide?

This is strange territory. Attempted murder does seem like overkill - unless he raped someone. Then I could potentially see that.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Prosecutor Meaghan Cunningham had argued that protected **** sex is risky enough to trigger the obligation to disclose but also noted that in MSN chats Boone described removing condoms when his partner wasn’t looking and poking holes in condoms when “little condom nazi boys” made him use one.

-----------------------

And because of what is written above(from the article), I have no sympathy at all for him. Deliberately poking holes in condoms? Sure looks like he was trying to intentionally spread his HIV to me.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Prosecutor Meaghan Cunningham had argued that protected **** sex is risky enough to trigger the obligation to disclose but also noted that in MSN chats Boone described removing condoms when his partner wasn’t looking and poking holes in condoms when “little condom nazi boys” made him use one.

-----------------------

And because of what is written above(from the article), I have no sympathy at all for him. Deliberately poking holes in condoms? Sure looks like he was trying to intentionally spread his HIV to me.

If not intentionally spread HIV then at least depraved indifference to the life and health of his partners. Skeevy no matter which way you slice it.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
If not intentionally spread HIV then at least depraved indifference to the life and health of his partners. Skeevy no matter which way you slice it.

And he's trying to play himself off as a victim to boot. Sorry pal, that just isn't true!