Statue of Liberty reopens today after $30 million interior renovation

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
After a year long, $30 million interior makeover, Lady Liberty is ready for her closeup as she reopens to the public today.

The mostly federally funded renovation to the 126-year-old Statue of Liberty includes fire-safety and ventilation improvements, better bathrooms, a third elevator and a remodeled staircase with 39 extra steps to make it easier to climb from pedestal to crown.

And, for the first time ever, there is wheelchair access to the top of the pedestal.

With the structural improvements, 26,000 more visitors will be able to visit the crown every year. Previously, only 240 people per day could visit; now 315 can.

more

Statue of Liberty reopens today after $30 million interior renovation - NYPOST.com

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
All the service cuts and a $17 trillion debt and they spend $30 million on a statue. No wonder America is sinking into financial oblivion.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
She used to carry a purse.....

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Is it not just a little ironic that they refurbish the big sybol of freedom in America when over the last 11 years so many liberties have been lost thanks to the patriot act and other such legislation. :roll:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
All the service cuts and a $17 trillion debt and they spend $30 million on a statue. No wonder America is sinking into financial oblivion.

You're letting emotions overtake reason. It's like spending 30 cents when you are $1700 in debt. Is it not a major tourist attraction? Money spent on maintenance is seldom wasted.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
30 million to preserve the biggest monument to a myth... seems reasonable to me. Big Brother is footing the bill?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The best part is that many of the same people who worship at the feet of this statue, denigrate and insult the country that donated it.

Funny as hell to me.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
You're letting emotions overtake reason. It's like spending 30 cents when you are $1700 in debt. Is it not a major tourist attraction? Money spent on maintenance is seldom wasted.

Actually I am letting common sense get the better of me. Would you spend $3000 on a new engine for your truck when it didn't really need it and you were $1,700,000 in the hole already with no foreseeable way to even start paying it back?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Actually I am letting common sense get the better of me.
Not really.

Would you spend $3000 on a new engine for your truck when it didn't really need it...
Ummm...

The mostly federally funded renovation to the 126-year-old Statue of Liberty includes fire-safety and ventilation improvements, better bathrooms, a third elevator and a remodeled staircase with 39 extra steps to make it easier to climb from pedestal to crown.

And, for the first time ever, there is wheelchair access to the top of the pedestal.

With the structural improvements, 26,000 more visitors will be able to visit the crown every year. Previously, only 240 people per day could visit; now 315 can.
Besides the necessities like fire safety and ventilation, the other upgrades are sound tourist attracting reno's.

So your an*logy is a tad off.

... and you were $1,700,000 in the hole already with no foreseeable way to even start paying it back?
Depends on whether or not I had a stake in the autoshop it was being repaired at.

Investment in infrastructure is always good.

For someone who bemoans the war machine, you sure do like to bash the better alternative, infrastructure investment.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Besides the necessities like fire safety and ventilation, the other upgrades are sound tourist attracting reno's.
It doesn't say if the fire & ventilation is required or not. I would imagine it meets existing fire codes or it would be shut down.

Depends on whether or not I had a stake in the autoshop it was being repaired at.
I could actually see you spending $3000 on something you didn't need to get a $3 dividend at the end of the year.

Investment in infrastructure is always good.
Roads are infratructure. So are rails, power grids, communication lines and even some necessary govt buildings. A statue is not!

For someone who bemoans the war machine, you sure do like to bash the better alternative, infrastructure investment.
If it was infrastructure I could understand but it is a statue.

Infrastructure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Infrastructure is basic physical and organizational structures needed for the operation of a society or enterprise,[1] or the services and facilities necessary for an economy to function.[2] It can be generally defined as the set of interconnected structural elements that provide framework supporting an entire structure of development. It is an important term for judging a country or region's development.
The term typically refers to the technical structures that support a society, such as roads,bridges, water supply, sewers, electrical grids, telecommunications, and so forth, and can be defined as "the physical components of interrelated systems providing commodities and services essential to enable, sustain, or enhance societal living conditions."[3]
Sorry, no statues or tourist attractions in this definition.