‘It shook everything’: Tsunami warning lifted after 7.7-magnitude quake rocks B.C.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

VANCOUVER — A violent earthquake measuring 7.7 jolted British Columbia’s north-central coast Saturday night, frightening residents and forcing many to temporarily leave their homes for higher ground ahead of a possible tsunami.

Tsunami warnings were issued for the North Coast, the Haida Gwaii islands, parts of the central B.C. coast, the coast of Alaska and as far away as Hawaii.

Early Sunday morning the warnings were downgraded to advisory status, meaning evacuations were no longer necessary, and they were cancelled altogether a few hours later.

Residents near the centre of the quake said the violent jolting lasted for up to a minute, but no injuries or major damage had been reported.

Carsten Ginsburg, who lives in the small community of Bella Coola southeast of Prince Rupert, said the quake lasted about 40 seconds.

“It shook everything. The electricity went out, the power lines were swinging all over the place and stuff was falling off the shelves.”

Brent Ward, an earth scientist at Simon Fraser University, said the earthquake was the second largest to hit the country since 1949, when another earthquake was recorded in the same area with a magnitude of 8.1.

“It’s an earthquake in an area that gets a lot of earthquakes,” he said. “It’s a tectonically active area.”

Ward said the area is known as the Queen Charlotte fault, where the earth’s plates slide horizontally across each other in a strike-slip action, similar to what happens along California’s San Andreas fault.

“Stresses build up because of that movement, and every so often we get the release of that stress in the form of an earthquake.”

Ward said he wasn’t surprised the tsunami warning was shortlived because the strike-slip movement along the fault doesn’t generally trigger tsunamis.

“To trigger a tsunami you need to have a vertical movement of the sea floor, and it’s that vertical movement that displaces water and triggers the tsunami,” he said. “Because it’s sliding across each other, you’re not generally moving the water.”

In fact, hours after the earthquake, Dennis Sinnott, who works at the Institute of Ocean Sciences, said the largest wave hit Langara Island, a northern Haida Gwaii island, and measured just 69 centimetres.

The quake also set off emergency sirens across the Pacific on the islands of Hawaii, but even as people were moving to higher ground, the warning was called off.

In Alaska, the wave surge was just 10 centimetres, much smaller than officials had been forecasting.

What we’re seeing at this time are relatively small sea-level fluctuations

Kelli Kryzanowski, manager of strategic initiatives Emergency Management B.C., said the initial earthquake occurred at 8:04 p.m. inland on Haida Gwaii and was initially recorded at a magnitude of 7.1 but was quickly upgraded to a magnitude of 7.7.

Kryzanowski said small waves generated by the quake, measured at 28 centimetres and 44 centimetres, also hit the northern tip of Vancouver Island.

“What we’re seeing at this time are relatively small sea-level fluctuations,” she said.

B.C. Justice Minister Shirley Bond said there appeared to be little damage from the quake.

“We’re certainly grateful at this point,” said Bond, who spoke to reporters during a late night conference call. “We’re very grateful for that, but we’ll wait until we can actually see the impact.”

After the quake, Ginsburg said he ran home as quickly as he could to see if there was a tsunami warning.

“Which of course there was,” he added.

Ginsburg owns the Float House Inn on the public wharf in Bella Coola and had about six customers celebrating a birthday party.

They all evacuated to about 35 metres above sea level.

“I’m assuming that it’s OK,” he said laughing. “I’m keeping my fingers crossed.”

I found it quite unnerving

Bella Coola resident Barb Cornish, 60, said she considers herself a very calm person.

“But I found it quite unnerving,” she told The Canadian Press.

Cornish lives in a log house and had been told that it’s one of the safest places to be in the event of an earthquake.

But she said it sure didn’t feel safe Saturday night.

“The log house swayed and creaked and my light over my kitchen table was swaying, some chimes went off. I stood up and I could feel the undulations under my feet, to the point where I almost got nauseated.”

Geoff Ray said he has felt a lot of earthquakes, but this was the most powerful quake he’s ever experienced in the 37 years he’s lived on Haida Gwaii.

Ray operates the Breezeway Accommodations bed and breakfast in Queen Charlotte City and said the beams of his building were “visibly shaking quite a lot, there were things falling off shelves.”

“(It was) an exciting experience, there’s no doubt about that.”

It’s a good wake-up call for everyone to make sure they have an earthquake kit

Lenore Lawrence, a resident of Queen Charlotte City, said the quake was “definitely scary,” adding she wondered if “this could be the big one.”

She thought the shaking lasted more than a minute.

While several things fell off her mantle and broke, she said damage in her home was minimal.

Residents rushed out of their homes in Tofino when the tsunami sirens sounded, but they were allowed to return about two hours after the quake.

Yvette Drews, a resident of Tofino, said she ran out of her home with her two children and mother in-law and drove to a local school when she heard the community’s tsunami sirens go off.

They were told by police that they could return home.

But while on the way home, Drews said she heard the tsunami sirens go off again.

“Well that just freaked me out, hearing the siren and the voice,” she said.

The quake shook Vancouver Island, the Haida Gwaii area, Prince Rupert, Quesnel and Houston, and was even felt in Metro Vancouver and Alaska.

“It’s a good wake-up call for everyone to make sure they have an earthquake kit and a plan if an earthquake like this hits an area that they live,” said Ward.

[youtube]UWYoECz2o0A[/youtube]

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
There was a guy on the radio a few days ago claiming we are 250 years overdue for a real shaker. But he makes his living by scaring taxpayers.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I had some weird sounds coming out of my kitchen island. I thought maybe my daughter had some elctronic gadget going off by timer. Sounded like a kazoo. When I later heard the news I assumed the noise was caused by the quake.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
There was a guy on the radio a few days ago claiming we are 250 years overdue for a real shaker. But he makes his living by scaring taxpayers.

Well, not to mention you have a few volcanoes just across the border.. I know I use to have the perfect view of it from my balcony.. LOL

Anyhow, weather or not the Big One ever hit's.. I am sure everyone on this forum agrees with me.. Taxslave, Kreskin and other members living in these areas.. just be prepared, be safe and stay alive.

Nobody can predict an earthquake, and when natural disasters hit (earthquakes, floods, snow blizzard and no power), it's the people who have a back up plan are generally the ones to survive.

Are you prepared?

I have a storage unit.. canned foods and water, plus a generator and fuel. Extra blankets and firearms. No I'm not a doomsdayer, just feel anything is possible want to be comfortable as possible...

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I wonder if we'll follow Italy's example and send a few scientists to prison over the quake. :p

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
All in all it worked quite well to test the warning system. Seemed to be a lot of delay before the government got the warning out to Tofino. Don't know about the towns closer to the action.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
:lol:Good thing it was a horizontal slip, had it been a vertical slip, sh*t would have hit the fan (literally)

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
I have family in Stewart's and also just out of Bella Coola. They all said the shocks were the strongest they have ever felt anywhere.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
:lol:Good thing it was a horizontal slip, had it been a vertical slip, sh*t would have hit the fan (literally)

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
There were concerns it was a Romney slip, but it was more of a Biden.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Emergency Planners Hope Island Quake Is A Wake -Up Call

[youtube]PFu-xxQPJp0[/youtube]

http://www.ctvvancouverisland.ca
http://www.facebook.com/ctvvi

VICTORIA - No one here likes to think about it. The day "the big one" shakes Vancouver Island. Even "the little one" we felt yesterday is a bit unnerving. But that may be a good thing.

"By far the most effective way of getting through to people is having something like this happen. Most of us live our lives and ignore the noise of life. These things get your attention. Some people will take action" says Rob Johns, the City of Victoria's Emergency Coordinator.

After visiting Christchurch, New Zealand in the aftermath of last year's devastating earthquake, Johns saw firsthand the time to take action, for us, is right now. "Everybody I spoke to said they wished they'd done more to be emergency prepared."

You can start by going shopping to build an emergency kit. You can find a list of recommended items online at preparevictoria.ca, which includes water, food, clothing, blankets, and a first aid kit.

You also need to be able to communicate with first responders and your loved ones. In the event of a power outage like the one affecting hundreds of thousands of people in the path of Hurricane Isaac, you won't be able to charge your cellphone. It's a good idea to get car charger.

Engineer John Sturdy has also studied the destruction in New Zealand, when Christchurch City Hall crumbled. That won't happen here once a seismic upgrade is complete next year. "City Hall is going to have to be functioning after an earthquake for the city to be able to continue to function" says Sturdy.

Sturdy says Greater Victoria is at a disadvantage when it comes to responding to a disaster like the six-point-three magnitude quake in Christchurch. The two regions are very similar, except for one major detail. "It's the same size city, it's the same age, it's got the same kind of buildings, the same kind of climate, the same kind of seismic zone, but they're one city. We are 13 municipalities in our region. They were able to operate effectively as one large city."

He says we need to figure out how we can do the same because during an earthquake, municipal boundaries don't mean much.

Follow Andrew Johnson on Twitter: Andrew Johnson (CTVNewsAndrew) on Twitter

yup bill barilko, I'll be doing that when you come to this web forum crying how you've lost your home and loved ones when the big one hits..

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I'm starting a new business ... Earthquake Grocery Ltd. You pre-order groceries online, and pre-pay of course, so that when the big big big one comes we'll deliver direct to your door within 1 hour.