Victory For Man Who Took Cold Caller To Court

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Richard Herman, 53, was so fed up with the unwanted calls arriving from India, he decided to take matters into his own hands.

He warned the company that, in future, he would invoice them £10 for every minute of his time they used.

When the calls continued he began recording them before finally invoicing the company £195 for their use of his "time, telephone and electricity".

Upon receipt of the invoice the marketing firm acting on behalf of UK-based PPI Claimline Ltd, denied making the calls. When Mr Herman revealed he had recorded evidence, they still refused to pay.

But when Mr Herman filed a claim in the small claims court for the unpaid invoice - plus £25 in costs - the company offered to settle the debt out of court and transferred £220 into his bank account.

more

Victory For Man Who Took Cold Caller To Court

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I have often wondered if we couldn't take the telephone companies to court. We purchase a
service from the phone company and we are entitled to the enjoyment of the product we in
fact purchased. The other way to handle this, all solicitation calls should be banned except for
legitimate recognized survey companies that are not selling anything, and the political calls
that are made during elections they are covered under the elections act.
Commercial solicitations should be outright banned.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Iève often wondered about the audacity of people who think MY phone is for THEIR convenience, crass presumptuousness to put it mildly!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Good for him!

Call display works wonders though, don't know who it is, you don't answer the phone. A legitimate caller will always leave a message. I sincerely want to know though, and I'm talking names and addresses here, who in hell ever buys something from a telemarketer? Because if there weren't people doing that, they would stop. No business is going to keep doing something that costs them money if they never see a return on it. I think we should find out who they are and make them pay for call display, call block and the various other services we need in order to eliminate telemarketing from our lives.

And I'm only half kidding. ;)

Lol.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
You know, with a few FF basic add-ons and an extension like ghostery, I basically don't accept anything on the web unless I say so.

All open source freeware basically.

I don't get spam in my in box either.

Why land line phones (smart or dumbass) can't easily be configured free of charge in a similar fashion makes me shake my friggin' head. Even a dirt cheap 'magik jackoff' sorta filter that prevents (let's say) any number you haven't called, from calling you.