Mom defends boyfriend accused of abusing, killing tot

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Mom defends boyfriend accused of abusing, killing tot

By Chris Doucette, QMI Agency

Keagan Davis was covered in bruises and suffered a litany of untreated broken bones within three months of Michael Monckton moving into the toddler’s home, a jury heard Friday.
Davis, 2, died Jan. 5, 2010, while in the care of Monckton, his mom’s live-in boyfriend, who now stands accused of murder.
But in a day-and-a half on the witness stand, Leigh-Ann Worrall, 26, has yet to even hint she suspected Monckton, 28, was responsible for the injuries her child suffered leading up to his death.
Crown attorney Paul Murray showed the jury and Worrall photos of Keagan before and after Monckton came into his life in the fall of 2009.
He appears to be a normal, happy child in all of the pictures.
But in the images shot around Christmas 2009, after Monckton was laid off and had taken over the childcare duties while Worrall worked, bruises began to show.

In one photo the tot appears to have a broken blood vessel in his eye. His mom testified it was a “spider vein.”
Worrall also explained her son had a string of accidents he had in the weeks before he died, which is what Monckton told Durham Regional Police homicide detectives after his arrest Jan. 7, 2010.
In one incident, two weeks before Christmas, Worrall said Monckton “slipped” with Keagan in his arms and fell down the stairs of their basement apartment in Oshawa.
She said her boyfriend told her about the fall when she got home from work. Keagan was already in bed, so it wasn’t until the next day she saw the bruises on his spine and lower back.
On Jan. 28, Worrall said Keagan had another fall while she was sick in bed.
Her son, who was also ill, was apparently at the table eating when he turned to be sick, “slipped” off his chair and landed “face first” on the floor.
Worrall said she came out and saw Keagan on the floor covered in vomit. His nose was bleeding and he had bitten through his lip.
Monckton was with Keagan and told her what happened.
That incident left Keagan’s cheek and nose badly bruised, which could be seen in photos of Keagan playing video games and eating a gingerbread house with Monckton’s two children and niece — pictures he shot while watching the four kids.
On Jan. 2, 2010, Keagan came home from visiting Monckton’s family with a bruised shoulder, Worrall said. Her boyfriend said his nephew pushed the tot into a wooden highchair.
The forensic pathologist who conducted the autopsy has testified Keagan had internal bleeding in his belly as well as broken fingers, ribs, vertebrae and a forearm. Some injuries were allegedly recent and some occurred “weeks to months” earlier.
Monckton has pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder, assault causing bodily harm and aggravated assault.

Mom defends boyfriend accused of abusing, killing tot - Crime - Canoe.ca

Repeated incidents such as the ones described and she never doubted, never questioned? This woman is complicit in the death of her child because of what she 'chose' not to see.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Repeated incidents such as the ones described and she never doubted, never questioned? This woman is complicit in the death of her child because of what she 'chose' not to see.

Isn't that the biggest problem with domestic violence though? Often the victim through fear or loneliness rationalizes the actions and tries to defend the perpetrator. Then the prosecution has to attack the credibility of the witness, which is always a bit of a fine line.

Couldn't we just slip some cocaine into his possession? A strict liability crime like that has a much less stringent standard of evidence than killing a toddler.

In hindsight, the biggest problem with domestic violence is the violence. The biggest problem with the prosecution is the victim defending their attacker.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Isn't that the biggest problem with domestic violence though? Often the victim through fear or loneliness rationalizes the actions and tries to defend the perpetrator. Then the prosecution has to attack the credibility of the witness, which is always a bit of a fine line.

Couldn't we just slip some cocaine into his possession? A strict liability crime like that has a much less stringent standard of evidence than killing a toddler.

In hindsight, the biggest problem with domestic violence is the violence. The biggest problem with the prosecution is the victim defending their attacker.

I can buy, up to a certain extent, the psychological hold an abuser has over his/her victim. There's no denying that it exists, I've seen it personally. But there is also no denying that, when it comes right down to brass tacks, it is still a choice being made. An unhealthy one to be sure, but still a choice.

What I have a difficult time fathoming though is how a mother could have such denial about the suffering of her young child after only three months of a relationship. These broken bones were untreated, as stated in the article, which means that even if she completely bought into his 'excuses' she still did not seek medical care for her toddler. That, to me, crosses a line from victim into participant. I don't think it would be a stretch to see her as a co-defendant instead of a 'witness'.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I can buy, up to a certain extent, the psychological hold an abuser has over his/her victim. There's no denying that it exists, I've seen it personally. But there is also no denying that, when it comes right down to brass tacks, it is still a choice being made. An unhealthy one to be sure, but still a choice.

What I have a difficult time fathoming though is how a mother could have such denial about the suffering of her young child after only three months of a relationship. These broken bones were untreated, as stated in the article, which means that even if she completely bought into his 'excuses' she still did not seek medical care for her toddler. That, to me, crosses a line from victim into participant. I don't think it would be a stretch to see her as a co-defendant instead of a 'witness'.

Certainly, there was negligence there, but that is a difficult line to draw. What is incredible is how much vetting people who want to adopt a child must go through compared to the level of incompetence that is acceptable before child protective services comes in.

On the flip side, I have heard stories where the child suffered sports related injuries but the school called child protective services anyways (or it was the ex spouse in some cases). Then you have some people invade your life insinuating that sending your child to bed without dessert because they did not clean their room is evidence of negligence. Don't even try to mention spanking to those people either...

I agree, this woman is a sad case. But I see child protective services is a sledgehammer, not a scalpel.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice, shame on me.

I may have accepted the first 'excuse' but would have become suspicious on the next one. Actually, I would have been suspicious after the first one and kept my eyes and ears open.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
That incident left Keagan’s cheek and nose badly bruised, which could be seen in photos of Keagan playing video games and eating a gingerbread house with Monckton’s two children and niece — pictures he shot while watching the four kids.
Why would you memorialize the results of abuse?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Certainly, there was negligence there, but that is a difficult line to draw. What is incredible is how much vetting people who want to adopt a child must go through compared to the level of incompetence that is acceptable before child protective services comes in.

On the flip side, I have heard stories where the child suffered sports related injuries but the school called child protective services anyways (or it was the ex spouse in some cases). Then you have some people invade your life insinuating that sending your child to bed without dessert because they did not clean their room is evidence of negligence. Don't even try to mention spanking to those people either...

I agree, this woman is a sad case. But I see child protective services is a sledgehammer, not a scalpel.

Oh, child protective services is a whole other topic altogether. Whether they're getting it right or wrong, they seem to always go overboard with it.

But had she sought medical attention for this child, it would have been reported I'm sure of it. At least the poor little boy would have had a fighting chance that way.

The article says broken bones that were untreated. I cannot believe that a toddler would not be in a lot of pain due to broken bones, how does a parent, even a parent who continually buys the what we now know to be B.S. stories about 'accidents' not seek aid for their child that is in pain? So negligence on the part of the mother at a minimum. I can understand that it may be difficult to prove in court but, were it my decision, I would have charged her and put her in front of a jury.

fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice, shame on me.

I may have accepted the first 'excuse' but would have become suspicious on the next one. Actually, I would have been suspicious after the first one and kept my eyes and ears open.

Most people would have.

Why would you memorialize the results of abuse?

Because he's a sick bastard who releases his stress from being unemployed on a toddler?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Oh, child protective services is a whole other topic altogether. Whether they're getting it right or wrong, they seem to always go overboard with it.

But had she sought medical attention for this child, it would have been reported I'm sure of it. At least the poor little boy would have had a fighting chance that way. [/UNQUOTE]

Agreed, but I don't believe a word of this a$$hole's story. Broken fingers, ribs, and internal injuries. I can't understand how this woman
can support his Bull-shi t unless she's part of it.

Last edited:

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB

I had an experience with CPS when my sons were young. Total BS. Neighbor called them in because I gave my oldest a swat on the ass in the yard. I wouldn't even let them in the house. I told them I spanked the boys when they needed it (which is not against the law no matter what anybody tells you). Then told them to f*ck-off and come back with an arrest warrant if they thought they had a case. Never saw them again.

If you know the law and your rights CPS is not as scary as they are made out to be.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I had an experience with CPS when my sons were young. Total BS. Neighbor called them in because I gave my oldest a swat on the ass in the yard. I wouldn't even let them in the house. I told them I spanked the boys when they needed it (which is not against the law no matter what anybody tells you). Then told them to f*ck-off and come back with an arrest warrant if they thought they had a case. Never saw them again.

If you know the law and your rights CPS is not as scary as they are made out to be.

Good for you, Nick. We have a whole generation of brats who never got taken to the wood shed. :lol: Just so the bleeding hearts don't get in a lather, I'm not in favour of spanking all children, just the few who need it for serious infractions. (We've had enough debates on this issue)

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Good for you, Nick. We have a whole generation of brats who never got taken to the wood shed. :lol: Just so the bleeding hearts don't get in a lather, I'm not in favour of spanking all children, just the few who need it for serious infractions. (We've had enough debates on this issue)

What the idiots at CPS and their civilian staff, as I call the busy-bodies, forget is there is a difference between spanking your child for doing wrong and abusing your child. These morons seem to think that corporal punishment for legitimate reasons equates to the same thing as the d*ck in the OP was doing.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The wood shed argument always comes up. I don't believe in hitting a child in most cases.
Yes there are times when some extra correction is necessary but that should be rare.
I got maybe three spankings as a kid and gave out less than half a dozen as a parent.
One of the biggest problems is not the child its the parent. As adults we talk about the
consequences of doing something. The problem is all too often the parents do not follow
through with the supposed consequences and that is the message, oh not much will happen.
I always followed through and stuck to my guns. I got respect without becoming a willow tree.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
The wood shed argument always comes up. I don't believe in hitting a child in most cases.
Yes there are times when some extra correction is necessary but that should be rare.
I got maybe three spankings as a kid and gave out less than half a dozen as a parent.
One of the biggest problems is not the child its the parent. As adults we talk about the
consequences of doing something. The problem is all too often the parents do not follow
through with the supposed consequences and that is the message, oh not much will happen.
I always followed through and stuck to my guns. I got respect without becoming a willow tree.

I was certainly not in a habit of spanking the boys. Probably had to do it 5 times combined between the 2 of them but when they were warned it was coming and they continued bad behavior I delivered. Bare butt and open hand and made sure it stung enough they would remember for a long time.

I never gave them the old 'gonna hurt me more than you' routine either. I find that to be quite lame.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Because he's a sick bastard who releases his stress from being unemployed on a toddler?
If you have the wherewithal to concoct a cover story, you know you are doing wrong. Memorializing it with a photo seems out of place to me.

Given the fact that you admittedly feel violence is a normal and appropriate response to differing opinions, and the execution of ones job, it wouldn't and doesn't surprise me that their concerns were valid.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
If you have the wherewithal to concoct a cover story, you know you are doing wrong. Memorializing it with a photo seems out of place to me.

No kidding, that would be the 'sick bastard' part where he believes his own B.S. stories. My understanding of abusers is they actually don't believe they aren't doing anything wrong. The cover stories would not be about their shame per say but about satisfying the prying inquisitions of others who just don't "get it". The guy who's wife 'walks into a door' for example, to his (sick) mind he's justified in what he did but he knows no one else will "understand" that he had "no choice", so stories are made up to avoid having to deal with that. At least, that's the way I understand the thought process, if you can actually call it that.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
"Fell down the stairs" seems to always be the fall back excuse.... If the kid was that injured from falling down the stairs, wouldn't the boyfriend also have a few injuries as well?

I might buy the sick/fall at the dinner table thing and could have been a careless situation that looks really bad, but it might not have.... The question that is left is, if it was from physical violence, what did the kid do at the dinner table to cause the boyfriend to inflict that level of damage, including the claim of vomit?

And the bruised shoulder could be horse play kids do, as I know I have had my fair share of injuries from situations like that....

But the nail in the coffin is the list of long term injuries noted, especially many untreated injuries.... Any parent with a brain would take their child to the hospital for such injuries so they would be treated.

And no two year old that I ever come across runs into that many unfortunate "accidents" and if they did and those accidents were as serious as stated in this report, then if it's not abuse, it's clear neglect and not keeping a better eye out for your damn kids.

Also, what 2 year old turns their head away from the table to puke? Most kids that age just puke straight forward because they don't know any better.... Maybe that was the reason why the boyfriend flew off the handle and flattened his face, cuz it was a mess he'd have to clean up and probably ruined his meal.

Slipped off his chair?

Wasn't he in a secured high chair at that age?

Or was it some rickety high chair that is easily unbalanced?

Or was he just not strapped in?

Or was he in a normal adult chair?

In any of those situations, it's still neglect.

And I have seen plenty of kids fall, even on their face. Unless they have a plain concrete floor, that level of damage would be highly suspicious and not very likely.

Sounds like a cover up by mommy because she's got kids, she's getting up in her age, and doesn't want to be left alone dealing with work and the kids by herself, while thinking she won't find another person to help her out, so she settled and now defending the guy.

And it doesn't sound like they're his biological children, thus her previous partner left (odd there's no mention of the real father or fathers of the children) and i doubt he has any connection with the kids and just sees them as money sucking burdens taking away his good time for drinking.... He's stuck with someone else's kids and doesn't know how to cope.

At first i thought, ok... Maybe this is just all a misunderstanding based on circumstances that can be portrayed in two different ways.... Thus since he lost his job and it's a man watching over the kids, any injury those kids had must be from him abusing them, thus a knee jerk reaction.... But their explanations don't add up and it's either abuse or neglect on their part.

Either way, both are guilty.

Last edited: