Israel takes control of pro-Palestinian activist ship with Canadian aboard

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Israeli soldiers commandeered a vessel carrying pro-Palestinian activists destined for Gaza on Saturday, cutting off communications and steering it from international waters toward the Jewish state.

The ship was the latest in a series of activist-manned vessels challenging Israel’s blockade on the territory, imposed when the militant group Hamas seized the coastal strip in 2007.

Six Israeli naval vessels stopped the Estelle as it was about 30 nautical miles from Gaza, with masked soldiers boarding the ship and ordering it to sail to Israel’s Ashdod port, said a Victoria Strand, a spokeswoman for the activists.

The Swedish-owned, Finnish-flagged ship left Naples, Italy, on Oct. 7 with about 30 people from eight countries, including lawmakers from Norway, Sweden, Greece and Spain, as well as Israeli activists and a 79-year-old former legislator from Canada.

The Estelle’s sail marked the latest attempt to break Israel’s tight restrictions on access to Gaza. Israel, aided by Egypt, imposed a full border closure by air, land and sea after Hamas took it over and drove out forces loyal to Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.

Israel eased restrictions on the territory after an Israeli raid of a Turkish-led blockade-busting flotilla in 2010 left nine activists dead and sparked international condemnation. Still, Israel continues to block sea access to Gaza and severely restricts its ability to export goods and import raw materials.

Israeli military spokeswoman Lieutenant Avital Leibovich accused the activists of staging a provocation and said the naval blockade was necessary to safeguard Israel’s security. Israel fears that unfettered access by sea would allow the Islamic militant Hamas to smuggle weapons.

“We have this blockade because there are constant smuggling attempts of weapons, munitions that eventually reach the hands of terror organizations inside Gaza,” she said.

Ms. Strand said the takeover of the Estelle by Israeli forces was a “demonstration of ruthlessness.”

The ship carried cement, basketballs and musical instruments. It was emblazoned with “Ship to Gaza” on one side, and also flew the colorful red, green, black and white Palestinian flag.

Activists say the blockade amounts to collective punishment of Gaza’s 1.6 million residents, denying them the chance to trade and travel freely. Neighbouring Egypt continues to impose restrictions at its passenger crossing with Gaza.

“It’s hard to imagine what threat one sailboat, loaded with humanitarian supplies and a small number of people, could do to” Israel’s mighty military, said Eva Manly, the wife of former Canadian parliamentarian James Manly. She said she lost contact with her 79-year-old husband early Saturday.

Israeli Defence Ministry spokesman Joshua Hantman said the goods onboard would be checked before entering Gaza through an Israeli-controlled land crossing. Hantman said militants have attempted in the past to smuggle weapons by sea.

source: Israel takes control of pro-Palestinian activist ship with Canadian aboard - The Globe and Mail

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

LOL they captured darkbeaver.. ;) Please keep him Israel, we don't want him back.

... or maybe it was Angstrom, either way.. please keep him. :lol:

oh I can see the reds now... LOL

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Pinheads and Patriots. :lol:

Every dam night until Nov 6.. I am watching. This election will benefit Canada's economy as well as the USA if Romney wins.

From the Keystone pipeline to a EU style North America between Canada and the USA.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Israel's very survival is at stake. Damned right they will stop ANY ship attempting to sail to Gaza.

Only the most stupid would think that they can somehow evade this.

Personally, I think the best way to handle this is to confiscate the ship, and force every person aboard to walk out of Israel!

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Israel's very survival is at stake. Damned right they will stop ANY ship attempting to sail to Gaza.

Only the most stupid would think that they can somehow evade this.

Personally, I think the best way to handle this is to confiscate the ship, and force every person aboard to walk out of Israel!

Israels survival means slavery and death to the rest of the planet. Guess what will really happen? Guess who will be responsible? Israel is a lawless state of mad pseudo religious parasitic savages. They'll reap what they've sown. Nature is unforgiving.

LOL they captured darkbeaver.. ;) Please keep him Israel, we don't want him back.

... or maybe it was Angstrom, either way.. please keep him. :lol:

oh I can see the reds now... LOL

The Dung will never take me alive. You and your nest mates (WE) suck big time. Get out of my country.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Got a link? I believe what you posted is a lie.
I am not even checking the links- Petros does not lie about such things- Now I am off to bed and expect to see your apology in the morning
Good Night and God Bless.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W

Still the safest place in the ME for Christians. Anti-missionary laws or not, what's the worse that can happen if you "open-air preach" in Israel? Someone might spit on you? Ha! People do that here if you preach publicly!

Further, the link you provided says that proselytizing is allowed provided it's "devoid of coercion in the form of economic or emotional incentives". (Whatever the heck that means.)