In today's episode of Overreaction Theater...

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
zoo takes down Halloween ghost decorations because some people believe they look like lynchings.

via Fark

ST. LOUIS (KMOV.com) -- St. Louis Zoo officials say it changed a Halloween display of about 10 ghosts with black faces hanging from trees after complaints that it resembled lynchings.

On Tuesday, a viewer wrote to News 4 saying the exhibit looks more like lynchings. News 4 went to the zoo to get an explanation and now zoo leaders are making changes.

According to zoo officials, they recently heard concerns over the perception of the decorations.

“It was like a complete outrage to me, it was very hurtful,” said Chris Burchett, a zoo patron. “The picture appeared to be African-American people hanging from a rope.”

Burchett saw the photo on the St. Louis Zoo Facebook page. Burchett took his concerns to zoo officials.

more 'concerns' from the tender and whiny Mr. Burchett

St. Louis Zoo takes down decorations after some say display was offensive | KMOV.com St. Louis

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The pic in the article shows the black faces.

Yeah you can and I'm sure it would cause a lot of people to give it a second look, but I don't think it was deliberate or anything. To be honest, it looks to me like it's meant to give the impression of no form under the hood, as a shapeless apparition. But, having said that, I can see too where a lot of people would take it the way they did and it's probably better that they took it down.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
They light -up at night as the video explains.

But I guess some will find what they want whether it's Jesus in a piece of toast or lynched black people in some black-headed lighted hanging ghosts. Tragic.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'm sorry Loc, but I can't help but feel you'd have to TRY not to see it, just so you can say you're not 'the evil PC'. Would I have raised a stink about it? No. But that doesn't mean they don't totally look like he said.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Truthfully my first impression was what I said in my previous post kkk robes....but then....I wasn't looking to be offended, and I'm not prone to suggestion ...
That's how hypnotists and salesmen work you know??? Just like I'm not easily swayed by an item supposedly on sale;-)

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Not to mention why would a black person be lynched in a white robe? What's the historical connection to anything white robish hanging in a flippin' tree? :lol:

Oh well, to each their own.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
reminded me of the Harry Potter Dementors in white robe instead of black.