If Only There Were More People Like This

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Homeless woman who returned purse with $10,000 rewarded

By Damien Wood, Calgary Sun

CALGARY -- Good karma seems to have found its way back to the humble homeless Calgary woman who turned in a purse containing more than $10,000 in cash.
She’s heard the Edmonton couple who lost the purse have offered a reward and the YWCA facility where the Good Samaritan is currently staying is going to help make sure she gets it.
The woman, who has asked to remain anonymous, found the five-figure sum inside a purse outside Rocky Mountain Plaza on Macleod Tr. and 7 Ave. S.E. in Calgary, at about 10:45 a.m. Thursday,
The story has made headlines across Canada and sparked an outpouring from readers who’ve come forward offering praise and donations to the woman is adamant about remaining anonymous.
“We need to honour and respect her for what she did,” said Cathy Flanagan, a Calgary Sun reader who hopes the woman gets the recognition and helping hand she said the woman deserves.
“Whatever we can do to help her here is what needs to happen.

“Money doesn’t buy happiness, but it gets you on the road back -- it can help you.”
The homeless woman who returned the cash, meanwhile, said she’s more than a little overwhelmed by the attention given to her actions, which she thought nothing of at the time -- she figured it would be between her, the police and the purse’s owner.
Not that she minds being wrong -- she said she hoped for a little acknowledgement, but not necessarily a reward. The money, she said, would help and she will probably take it.
“I think given my current situation, I would,” she said.
Unless accepting a reward requires her to reveal her identity -- the woman said that because of embarrassment over being homeless, she would rather her name and face not be released to the public.
The YWCA has told media they are working on a way to help with that, as well.
She said it never crossed her mind to keep the $10,400 in hundred-dollar bills inside the purse and she imagines most probably would have done the same thing.
“You have to be in that situation,” she said.

CANOE -- CNEWS - Good News: Homeless woman who returned purse with $10,000 rewarded

It's a shame that the reason she won't reveal her identity is because of her embarrassment over being homeless. To my way of thinking, this woman has absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about. She's a far greater human being than the majority walking around out there.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Not bad at all. One attagurl for her.

Last edited:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I can understand the last part. A person who's embarrassed about being homeless, or poor, or working at McD's at an advanced age, etc. can sometimes make things harder for themselves by avoiding opportunities out of embarrassement, thus contributing the the economic class divide. While they are in part to blame for the embarrassment, I think we are all to blame to a degree too. I've come across condescending attitudes myself, not necessarily targetting me personally, but as an observer noticing others expressing such attitudes towards others. We as a society just need to learn a little more respect. On that front, i think our whole political culture doesn't help either. If a candidate proposes reducing funding to help the poor, for instance, fine. And in some cases there can even be some legitimate arguments to do that. But don't then go on a diatribe about how they're "scum", "don't deserve it", etc. At least show some common decency, since words have power.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I think it's really sad, and we should all be ashamed about this, that the stigma associated with homelessness so overshadows her own self-worth. I know that it does, I'd likely feel the same in her position. Actually, even not being homeless, I don't think I'd want publicity for an act such as the one she committed anyway. I completely understand her feelings on this. But it is sad to me, none the less.