Walmart Warehouse Strikers Return to Work with Full Back Pay

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Strikers have returned to work with their heads held high and their wallets full at Walmart’s largest North American distribution center. Warehouse workers in Elwood, Illinois, announced Saturday that they had won their key demand, reinstatement of all who were fired or suspended for on-the-job organizing, along with full back pay for everyone who participated in the three-week strike.

“I think there’s been a hit in Walmart’s armor,” said Phil Bailey, one of the strikers who marched triumphantly back into the warehouse in matching Warehouse Workers for Justice t-shirts. “There’s been this expectation that they can’t be damaged at all. Not true!”

The returning workers also saw immediate improvements in safety conditions in the warehouse. They finally received shin guards, which they have been requesting for some time to protect them from heavy carts, and giant ceiling fans were installed to help cool the warehouse, which can reach 120 degrees. “[Management] kept coming around asking us if we needed any additional safety equipment,” Bailey reported. “They’re a lot more polite.”

more

Walmart Warehouse Strikers Return to Work with Full Back Pay | Labor Notes

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I'm not their biggest fan either. I deliver to the DC in Calgary sometimes. If I am more than 15 minutes early I have to wait on the street. If I am more than 15 minutes late there is a $1500 fine to the carrier. When I do get in and docked they apparently (according to them) have up to 5 hours to unload my trailer. Hardly fair!

On the other hand they sell their junk cheaper than any other junk store with a better return policy than most so we do shop there some. And of course the 'name brand' stuff is the same as everywhere.

All that said while I agree the workers should have proper PPE (personal protective equipment for those unfamiliar) I think it is a horrible precedent set to send strikers back to work with retro-pay. Definitely the wrong message sent there and now every union that goes on strike will expect to be paid in full for not showing up (not that union lackeys do much when they do show up).

FlowerPower

Aug 21, 2012
In a Beautiful Place
Well I had a as an employee of this place as well had a cheque held as I had given two weeks notice to quit. Only after this. The one week prior schedule cut hours two days per week when the hiring was full time ...notice being given only on the schedule... I gave back to them as the week where my hours were cut back. I had no notice my hours were being cut so I said, " well consider that as my first week as to my two weeks notice. The next week. My final week following on the schedule of shorted hours, as I was not given notice by you my employer that hours were to be cut and to give to my landlord I would have to be short. They held my cheque until I signed an agreement I would never work for the company again in this country. Lol. As I replied I hate to see what you do with shoplifters at your store stone them? As I had not given them appropriate notice. But they cut hours on the schedule to full time without notice. So as no loss to me I signed the damn form to get my paycheque. And will never be allowed to work at another retail outlet of theirs in this country I live in again. My home. Lol Well it was a learning experience as the IQ tests online sign in to a computer to test yourself for them to keep track of you that is done just to do retail. Nice. Just another Wal mart Rant. I think I will go listen to Ned.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I'm not their biggest fan either. I deliver to the DC in Calgary sometimes. If I am more than 15 minutes early I have to wait on the street. If I am more than 15 minutes late there is a $1500 fine to the carrier. When I do get in and docked they apparently (according to them) have up to 5 hours to unload my trailer. Hardly fair!

On the other hand they sell their junk cheaper than any other junk store with a better return policy than most so we do shop there some. And of course the 'name brand' stuff is the same as everywhere.

All that said while I agree the workers should have proper PPE (personal protective equipment for those unfamiliar) I think it is a horrible precedent set to send strikers back to work with retro-pay. Definitely the wrong message sent there and now every union that goes on strike will expect to be paid in full for not showing up (not that union lackeys do much when they do show up).

They were going on strike to get back pay owed them. They got it. Good for them.

Usually an employer will insist on employees wearing protective equipment, and provide it. Imagine having to go on strike to obtain something which is mandated.

Shin guards............Wally probably buys them a dollar a dozen.

Those pesky unions threatening democracy again..........dang!!........:roll: