"bullying victims are punished here."

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Bullying is undoubtedly one of the largest issues kids face today and parents and schools have taken action to stop it. One Texas dad has chosen to stand up to bullying quite literally -- he spends a few hours each day outside his son's middle school wearing a sign that reads "BULLYING VICTIMS ARE PUNISHED HERE."
Randy Duke, whose "day job" is training police officers in Afghanistan, told KHOU that his 14-year-old son, Max, has been bullied by a classmate for several years and that last week, Max reached his breaking point. The boy told his father, who is only home from abroad briefly, that he made a paper airplane for a special needs student and a bully stomped on it. “So Max just looked up and said, ‘What the hell?’ and this guy shoved him. Max had had enough. And that just snapped him, and he shoved back and they started into it,” Randy told KHOU.
Max was suspended for two days and will have to spend 30 days at another school. According to Click2Houston.com, he won't be allowed to march with the high school band at a football game which would have been a "rare honor."

and the same BS goes on here in Canada.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Expect it to get worse and worse as the anti bullying witch hunts ramp up further and further.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
It's amazing how the actual bullies are the ones who seem to be protected!

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Its just laziness on the part of the people doing the punishing. There are also children that take pleasure on snitching on anything approaching grey area, so teachers often create disincentives for people to tell what actually happened. So we end up with zero tolerance nonsense.

Everyone should be able to defend themselves. Zero tolerance is the real problem, even more than the bullying. The honest person is more afraid of being punished than the bully, clearly.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Its just laziness on the part of the people doing the punishing. There are also children that take pleasure on snitching on anything approaching grey area, so teachers often create disincentives for people to tell what actually happened. So we end up with zero tolerance nonsense.

Everyone should be able to defend themselves. Zero tolerance is the real problem, even more than the bullying. The honest person is more afraid of being punished than the bully, clearly.

Zero tolerance is nonsense. It's labeled as such to give the impression that they are "really doing something about it" but all they end up giving to it is lip service.

How about some reasonable rules with sufficient consequences for breaking those rules and using a little common sense and humanity when applying those rules to everyday situations. Not every confrontation is a episode of bullying, but those that are should be dealt with accordingly.

It shouldn't be that difficult, so how come it seems like every single school and school board you hear about completely messes it up?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
It's amazing how the actual bullies are the ones who seem to be protected!

Yup. See if the victim would just keep quiet and endure then there wouldn't be a problem.

I got the hammer dropped on me by the principal when i beat the **** out of the bully picking on me, back in grade 9....

Thats because you fought back Johnny. You needed to squeal to the teacher so you could receive more torment for being a rat.

My sister lives in a town where bullying is pretty rampant. So rampant that the kids formed an anti-bullying club. Who joins... the bullies of course. They got their picture in the paper and everything.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yup, it's the same thing here.

Victims fight back, and they get blamed.

Yep, hasn't changed in 58 years that I know of, the school bully knocked me down on the soccer field, straddled my chest and proceeeded to make mince meat out of my face, so when I figured I'd had enough I ups with a boot to the back of his head. We both got severely strapped. In those days when the Vice Principal strapped you, you'd had a whuppin'.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
I told my oldest daughter, if she gets in trouble for fighting back, to tell the principal about the teacher who told her to deal with her bully problem by herself.

I'll even back her up and hold that teacher responsible.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Victims fight back, and they get blamed.

That always pissed me off. I got suspended for defending myself once. It was stupid. Didn't get into any trouble at home though. My mother encouraged me to defend myself. Didnt mind the day off though.

Chev

Electoral Member
Feb 10, 2009
Alberta
I got the hammer dropped on me by the principal when i beat the **** out of the bully picking on me, back in grade 9....
My son did too. After a year or so of being bullied. he'd finally had enough. I was called into the school by the assistant principal. He and I had a 'little' chat. The assistant had no idea what had being going on. He apologized to me for having to suspend (both) boys for fighting but actually said "good for your son for finally sticking up for himself". The 2 boys ended up being friends. There were 2 other bullies I wish my sons would have 'taken out'. I would never punish my sons for sticking up for themselves.

I told my oldest daughter, if she gets in trouble for fighting back, to tell the principal about the teacher who told her to deal with her bully problem by herself. I'll even back her up and hold that teacher responsible.
I was in the nearby elementary school at lunch time one day, years ago. Grade 6 teacher, 5 grade 6 girls, 4 bullies, 1 victim. The teacher put just the girls in the assistant principal's office, told them to deal with the problem, shut the door and walked away. I was shocked.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I remember being bullied on the first day of school and I fought back. The kid was in
fifth grade, I was six and I beat the hell out of him. I was a big kid and my father who
was overseas for five years or so in WWII knew all about bullies and he prepared me.
I never became a bully but the rest gave me room without invading my space after
that.
I appreciate the comment about telling the teacher so more abuse can be heaped on
the kid being bullied. No we can't have people ratting we have to have teachers and
those in charge actually watching what is going on and taking action.
What can be done?
Make it a criminal offence and punish hard. Make a public example of the child first,
the second time include the parents regardless of the social standing. It seems shame
is the only weapon for some parents to take notice of what their brats are doing.
If a kid commits suicide from bullying make the children criminally responsible for the
death.

Chev

Electoral Member
Feb 10, 2009
Alberta
On the news tonight, “VANCOUVER—A 15-year-old girl who posted a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej7afkypUsc&noredirect=1video about being cyber-bullied to the point of depression has committed suicide.”
This is so sad, and unfortunately it’s not the first time and won’t be the last.
Cyber-bullying has got to be the hardest thing to stop. She apparently was on anti-depressants and switched schools at least once. Course everything followed her.

Last edited:

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
On the news tonight, “VANCOUVER—A 15-year-old girl who posted a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej7afkypUsc&noredirect=1video about being cyber-bullied to the point of depression has committed suicide.”
This is so sad, and unfortunately it’s not the first time and won’t be the last.
Cyber-bullying has got to be the hardest thing to stop. She apparently was on anti-depressants and switched schools at least once. Course everything followed her.

Some comments Ive read on this story were quite disturbing. Blaming the kid herself instead of the bullies themselves or the people around her. At least this kid tried to get help before she did it. Many kids who commit suicide because of bullying don't seek help. Its awful that she sought help yet still ultimately lost. If there is one group of people I absolutely loathe its bullies.