Man with bulletproof vest, body bags arrested at LA airport

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Man with bulletproof vest, body bags arrested at LA airport

By Mary Slosson, Reuters

A man who flew into Los Angeles International Airport from Japan wearing a bulletproof vest and flame retardant clothing has been arrested after a smoke grenade, various weapons and body bags were found in his luggage, officials said on Tuesday.
Yongda Huang Harris, who was due in federal court on Tuesday to face a charge of transporting hazardous materials, was in transit en route for Boston when airport security officials stopped him on Friday after noticing his odd attire.
Customs and border patrol agents searched his checked bags and among other items found a gas mask, bio-hazard suits, body bags, three leather-coated billy clubs, knives, a hatchet and leg irons.
The single charge against Harris, 28, stems from the smoke grenade, an item that is prohibited on passenger aircraft, officials said. While Harris lives in Boston, officials said, he had recently been living and working in Japan.
They did not give any explanation as to how he boarded his plane in Japan without raising suspicions.
Harris faces a maximum penalty of five years in prison if convicted.

Man with bulletproof vest, body bags arrested at LA airport - World - Canoe.ca

How in the hell did this guy even get on a plane in the first place!

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I dunno if there was some malicious intent. Except for the grenade he could have just been going to some Japanese fetish party. 8O

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I dunno if there was some malicious intent. Except for the grenade he could have just been going to some Japanese fetish party. 8O

Knives and a hatchet? I think those would fall under malicious intent as well. The smoke grenade could have been used to incapacitate his target(s) and then the weapons would be used afterwards.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
If the knives and hatchet are in his checked luggage, then they are safe. Only the smoke grenade violated the law and likely that was unintentional. He could be extremely paranoid and mostly harmless.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Knives and a hatchet? I think those would fall under malicious intent as well. The smoke grenade could have been used to incapacitate his target(s) and then the weapons would be used afterwards.

Obviously not the sharpest knife in the drawer....(did I just say that? :lol:) He was wearing a bullet-proof vest which means he was taking knives to a gun fight :roll:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
If the knives and hatchet are in his checked luggage, then they are safe. Only the smoke grenade violated the law and likely that was unintentional. He could be extremely paranoid and mostly harmless.

He was wearing a bullet proof vest, flame retardant clothing. That's something an extremely paranoid individual would wear.

But on top of the knives and hatchets he's also transporting body bags? I'm not in law enforcement or security but I have to say that my curiosity is pretty piqued as to what his final destination was and what he was planning on doing once he got there.

I'd rather they ask those questions now than ask "What could we have done to prevent this?" later on.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
There's always the option to pass new legislation that allows for retro-active abortions up to the age of 30

Technically don't they already have that in many states in the US? It's called the death penalty.;)

I don't know, call me old fashioned, but I was just raised to think a guy who shows up with knives, hatchets and body bags is up to no good.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I believe that the difference is that there are limited opportunities for any appeal.

True. It seems like the death penalty means you get about ten years in jail.

Of course the appeals will kill you.;)

.. It's the presence of body bags and a smoke grenade that pretty much sums-up buddies intentions
That's definitely some weirdness that rates an explanation.

A more in depth reporting of what was confiscated.

Also among Harris' possessions: body bags, knives, handcuffs, leg irons, billy clubs, a smoke grenade, a hatchet, a gas mask, a collapsible baton, a biohazard suit, and a device used to repel dogs.
Man arrested at airport wearing bulletproof vest, weapons in luggage | Daily Buzz - Yahoo! News Canada

Nah! Nothing suspicious here at all!

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
...I don't know, call me old fashioned, but I was just raised to think a guy who shows up with knives, hatchets and body bags is up to no good.
Or he could be a paranoid third world surgeon.

I own knives... most of them are in my kitchen. I have a hatchet, an axe and a splitting maul in my tool shed. I don't have any body bags or smoke grenades.

It appears the only law they broke was putting a smoke grenade in checked luggage. I suspect this story is an example of how the news sensationalizes mostly nothing into sounding like something. I agree with questioning this person closely. But if they have a reason for their actions, (even a strange and paranoid one) and do not appear to be a threat, then they should be released after being charged with the smoke grenade offense.