Whouda thought roaches were tasty

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
U.S. roach-eating contest winner collapses, dies - World - CBC News

"The winner of a roach-eating contest in South Florida died shortly after downing dozens of the live bugs as well as worms, authorities said Monday.

About 30 contestants ate the insects during Friday night's contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach about 60 kilometres north of Miami. The grand prize was a python."

Well at least it was a worthy first prize

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Yeah, that's why I would never want to play on Fear Factor. I would enjoy the stunts(if I was in better shape, of course), but eating the gross and nasty stuff would do me in. Yuck! No thanks!

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Insects are a delicacy in some cultures. Not my cup of tea, but to each their own.

I know that. There are a whole bunch of them that have been adopted by Western Culture as well. Chocolate covered ants, for example.

There is one item that I would never eat! In fact, I believe it's illegal to make in Canada or the US. It's fermented cheese with maggots in it. I can't recall what it's called, but it certainly does NOT sound appetizing at all.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I know that. There are a whole bunch of them that have been adopted by Western Culture as well. Chocolate covered ants, for example.

There is one item that I would never eat! In fact, I believe it's illegal to make in Canada or the US. It's fermented cheese with maggots in it. I can't recall what it's called, but it certainly does NOT sound appetizing at all.

Nothing with insects. Nope. I just can't go there. Blech!

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Nothing with insects. Nope. I just can't go there. Blech!

I might be able to eat a grasshopper or something(they caramalize them, or fry them sometimes), but certainly nothing that is still alive! Ugh!

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I couldn't do insects unless I was starving to death. I did swallow a live goldfish for a school fundraiser once though...a little wiggly on the way down but I am sure I've done shooters that were much worse for me.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Yeah, that's why I would never want to play on Fear Factor. I would enjoy the stunts(if I was in better shape, of course), but eating the gross and nasty stuff would do me in. Yuck! No thanks!

I've eaten deep-fried ants and grasshoppers - the former were chocolate coated but the idea of drinking the stuff that comes out of those blenders almost did me in just watching it being made. Double Yuck. I remember the first time I ate a raw oyster - I almost gagged but it didn't take me long to get past that stage as it was so tasty. Somehow, I don't think drinking that putrid looking goo would be the same thing at all - all those little legs and carapace pieces - mainly though it is the idea of drinking bug guts that causes my gorge to rise a tad. :smile:

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
From: The Food Defect Action Levels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...and I can't remember the figure, but it relates to the average number of
live spiders we all eat (all of us) annually in our sleep, but it's a surprisingly
large number. Bon Appetit.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I might be able to eat a grasshopper or something(they caramalize them, or fry them sometimes), but certainly nothing that is still alive! Ugh!

When I was a teenager I had a part-time job at Simpson's store in downtown, Regina, Shadow. They had one section dedicated to 'delicacies' from around the world - that's where I bought the ants and grasshoppers - I served them at a party and they were a big hit.

From: The Food Defect Action Levels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...and I can't remember the figure, but it relates to the average number of
live spiders we all eat (all of us) annually in our sleep, but it's a surprisingly
large number. Bon Appetit.

Insect filth?? Glad I make my own peanut butter. :lol: