Turkey deploys tanks, missiles, to Syrian border

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
ANKARA, Turkey — Turkey deployed additional tanks and missile defence systems to the Syrian border as artillery units responded to fire from President Bashar assad’s armed forces Monday for a sixth day.

Turkish batteries fired into Syrian territory, Al Arabiya television said Monday, without saying where it got the information. That followed a Syrian shell landing in a field as cotton harvesters worked near Hatay, Turkey’s state-run Anatolia news agency reported, as the cabinet met to discuss the issue.

A convoy of military vehicles towing howitzers headed toward the border town of Reyhanli in Hatay province Monday and the army sent reinforcements, including tanks and missile defence systems, to an area near the border town of Suruc in Sanliurfa province on Oct. 6, Anatolia said in separate reports.

Tensions between the two countries have risen during the 19-month rebellion against Assad’s government, with Turkey voicing support for the rebels. It worsened in June, when Syria shot down a Turkish warplane it said was in its airspace and on Oct. 3, when a Syrian shell fired over the border killed five Turks and triggered the cross-border exchanges. Last week, parliament gave the government a one-year mandate to send forces into Syria if necessary.

more

Turkey deploys tanks, missiles, to Syrian border as artillery exchange continues - thestar.com

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Ya know... I was kinda hoping that this thread was dedicated to a militia group of turkeys that were fighting back against the Thanksgiving practice of consuming their brethren.

That would give folks something new to talk about over the holidays that's for sure.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Google gives us soooooo much. Lol.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Ya know... I was kinda hoping that this thread was dedicated to a militia group of turkeys that were fighting back against the Thanksgiving practice of consuming their brethren.
They are not armed- hence impossible- They have wings and those are tasty as well.

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
I'm hoping the Turkish Army will get a chance to show the now partially decimated Syrian Army a chance on Quadrant Warfare like the Allies showed Saddam's forces in the first Iraqi' war. Burned out armor with Syrian soldiers inside would sure help get Assad out of office and hopefully into the World Court. But then we have to get Bush II, Cheney, Ashcroft and Rumsfeld there to that Court too!

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I'm hoping the Turkish Army will get a chance to show the now partially decimated Syrian Army a chance on Quadrant Warfare like the Allies showed Saddam's forces in the first Iraqi' war. Burned out armor with Syrian soldiers inside would sure help get Assad out of office and hopefully into the World Court. But then we have to get Bush II, Cheney, Ashcroft and Rumsfeld there to that Court too!

The bulk of the Syrian Military assets have barely been touched. And Iran is shipping them weapons along with their Wing Nut Brigades are already on the ground.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Be interesting to see how much this costs Canada both financially and in lives. I would imagine if full-scale hostilities start Turkey will be calling its NATO allies for help.

Maybe, if we can just find that rabbit....;-)

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I'm not big on conspiracies but I gotta wonder why Syria would want to get sidetracked with this spat with Turkey?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Be interesting to see how much this costs Canada both financially and in lives. I would imagine if full-scale hostilities start Turkey will be calling its NATO allies for help.

Turkeys managers (NATO) have ordered Turkey to escalate hostilities. Turkey risks it's own civil war to obey it's forigne masters. Turkey is baiting Syria praying that Russia does not intervene. Sooner or later someone will see a crack pull a trigger and the planet will burn for the damn bankers.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I'm not big on conspiracies but I gotta wonder why Syria would want to get sidetracked with this spat with Turkey?

The shot across the boardeer was supposedtly an honest error on the part of the Syrian army. Error or not though, the consequence is the same: Turkey shoots back and braces itself. Syria had better be careful next time around.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The shot across the boardeer was supposedtly an honest error on the part of the Syrian army. Error or not though, the consequence is the same: Turkey shoots back and braces itself. Syria had better be careful next time around.

That would make sense if it was a one time deal but has the link in the OP states, it continues so we're already at the "next time around" stage. Why would Syria want to tangle with Turkey when they are dealing with all the internal crap...makes no sense to me.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
That would make sense if it was a one time deal but has the link in the OP states, it continues so we're already at the "next time around" stage. Why would Syria want to tangle with Turkey when they are dealing with all the internal crap...makes no sense to me.

I can only immagine rebels are fighting very near the border and so some Syrian shells end up crossing the border. But either way, I can't immagine Syria genuinely wanting to fight Turkey. I would personally dismiss this as bad aim.

I aplaud Turkey for its restraint thus far. Up to this point it has only shot back at specific targets identified as the specific source of the attack on Turkey.

That said, This is not helping Assad win friends in the international community.

I hope Turkey continues to show restraint but it definitely reserves the right to continue to counterattack in kind against clearly identified targets as it is now doing.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Who says NATO has to be fully engaged? We all know by now that you can provide as little support as you wish as a NATO nation. Maybe this time Canada and the US can set up a coffee and donut table in Eastern Turkey.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Nato Treaty Article 6 would be invoked.
If Turkey did go in – they may make a buffer – safe zone – or take out the units where the Syrians are firing from and possibly some other units as well.
Could be a short incursion possibly a week or so.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Who says NATO has to be fully engaged? We all know by now that you can provide as little support as you wish as a NATO nation. Maybe this time Canada and the US can set up a coffee and donut table in Eastern Turkey.

Oh sure....then somebody says something about an IED (intermittently eaten doughnut) and the marines start shooting anything that moves and we got a bunch of dead Canadians and Tim Hortons cups with holes in them....;-):lol: