State Supreme Court Tosses Sex Assault Conviction

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Wtf?

via Fark:

Court rules that mentally retarded woman with cerebral palsy who can only communicate with one finger was asking for it because she didn't bite the man who was raping her, releases rapist from prison. Sounds legitimate

The state Supreme Court has thrown out the conviction of a Bridgeport man who was found guilty of sexually assaulting a severely handicapped woman.

Justices ruled, 4-3, that despite evidence that the 26-year-old woman cannot speak and has little body movement, there was no evidence she could not communicate her refusal to have sex with the defendant, Richard Fourtin Jr.

Fourtin's lawyer, Senior Assistant Public Defender Nicole Donzello, declined to comment on the decision.

Fourtin, 28, was convicted in 2008 of attempted sexual assault and sentenced to six years in prison.

The woman, who was not identified in court, has severe cerebral palsy and cannot verbally communicate, according to court documents.

The ruling centers around the state proving that the victim was physically helpless at the time of the attack, which is defined as ‘‘unconscious or for any other reason is physically unable to communicate
unwillingness to an act."

However, defense lawyers argued that there was evidence she could communicate by biting, kicking, screaming and gesturing.

more

State Supreme Court Tosses Sex Assault Conviction | NBC Connecticut

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
It's too bad that they couldn't have released him in the general prison population before the appeal was heard.

And people wonder why some people think our justice system sucks.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I'm surprised that four people who are obviously complete morons with no ability to think rationally would be Supreme Court justices.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I'm surprised that four people who are obviously complete morons with no ability to think rationally would be Supreme Court justices.

Come on. It was a completely rational decision and the bribe money
paid to the Supreme Court justices meant nothing....

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Even women who are in complete possession of their physical faculties don't always fight back. The fear, the disbelief, the sheer horror, effects every person differently. I think these judges need to spend more time talking to real people.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
I sincerely hope that those moronic "Judges" are removed from office, and turned loose in the general population of the largest prison in the State.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
To be fair to the judges and also handicapped women, the original conviction essentially hinged on the idea that the woman is incapable of ever consenting to having sex. So given that situation, if the original conviction is correct, the woman is assumed to be legally precluded from ever having consensual sex.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
To be fair to the judges and also handicapped women, the original conviction essentially hinged on the idea that the woman is incapable of ever consenting to having sex. So given that situation, if the original conviction is correct, the woman is assumed to be legally precluded from ever having consensual sex.

Out of curiousity, how would one determine her consent?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Wtf?

Court rules that mentally retarded woman with cerebral palsy who can only communicate with one finger was asking for it because she didn't bite the man who was raping her, releases rapist from prison. Sounds legitimate

The state Supreme Court has thrown out the conviction of a Bridgeport man who was found guilty of sexually assaulting a severely handicapped woman.

Justices ruled, 4-3, that despite evidence that the 26-year-old woman cannot speak and has little body movement, there was no evidence she could not communicate her refusal to have sex with the defendant, Richard Fourtin Jr.
I guess it didn't occur to these intellectually stunted people that the woman may not have resisted for fear of being killed if she did resist.
Unfrigginreal.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Wtf?

via Fark:

Fourtin's lawyer, Senior Assistant Public Defender Nicole Donzello, declined to comment on the decision.

Fourtin, 28, was convicted in 2008 of attempted sexual assault and sentenced to six years in prison.

The woman, who was not identified in court, has severe cerebral palsy and cannot verbally communicate, according to court documents.

The ruling centers around the state proving that the victim was physically helpless at the time of the attack, which is defined as ‘‘unconscious or for any other reason is physically unable to communicate
unwillingness to an act."

However, defense lawyers argued that there was evidence she could communicate by biting, kicking, screaming and gesturing.

more

And they wonder why there are cases of vigilantiism(sp?) out there. If this had happened to a family member of mine, and they suffered from the same condition as she does, and the same verdict was rendered? I'm not sure if I could just let that decision abide, as justice was NOT served.