Body of missing B.C. man Albert Chretien found in Nevada

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The body of Albert Chretien, who disappeared on a road trip to Las Vegas with his wife last spring, has finally been found, CBC News has confirmed.

A pair of hunters came across Chretien's body on Saturday in a wooded area in Northern Elko County, Nevada officials said. His identity was confirmed by information in his wallet and business cards.

Det. Dennis Journigan of the county sheriff's department said Chretien's remains were discovered in a secluded area of Merritt Mountain, about 11 kilometres west from where he set off.

Journigan said the remains were intact and hadn't been scattered by animals.

more

Body of missing B.C. man Albert Chretien found in Nevada - *News - MSN CA

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Killer GPS,there was a girl, I believe in NB found herself in the middle of nowhere after following the directions of her GPS.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Killer GPS,there was a girl, I believe in NB found herself in the middle of nowhere after following the directions of her GPS.

I have a hand held G.P.S. worth about $200, but you have to use common sense, you check it out in a familiar area before you head out into the wilds with it, that way the instrument is getting checked and you are checking your ability with it. Mine is generally accurate within 30-50'. Also when heading into tough terrain take an extra set of batteries. A lot of people have died too because they didn't believe their compass.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
If you understand the circumstances you might think a little differently. First of all he
and his wife were in the middle of nowhere for at least three days with no help coming.
He decided to take the chance and follow the GPS, it was winter in Nevada in the
mountains anyway and that could mean a blizzard any minute. Therefore no unusual.
In addition had he gone in a slightly different direction as it turns out he was about five
K from a ranch.
This guy knew they didn't have enough food or supplies so he made the effort to save
his wife, I believe he thought it a risky move but saving his wife was the focal point on
his mind. Whether he was successful or not this is a case where I would use the word
Hero. And I don't use that word often its over used in most cases as the world looks for
heroes to fill our empty lives but in this case this guy was a hero.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

She wasn't actually in the middle of nowhere, she was driving on a road that isn't plowed in winter, and got stuck.

How can anyone rely on a GPS so much that they don't notice they're on a road that isn't plowed, and there's a foot of snow on it? Wouldn't you stop to think about driving on a road that was only a snowmobile trail?

There was a couple from NS who went through a stop sign and the driver was killed, it was because they were following their GPS and the highway was changed. Still, aren't you supposed to read the red stop signs?

I'm always amazed at people who are so completely incompetent at driving. Don't these people look out their windows? Wtf is wrong with them? They'd drive into the ocean if the GPS told them to.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
I agree 100%. I also think there's waaayyy too much "helpfull" stuff on cars now,it's making incompetent drivers even more incompetenter.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
She wasn't actually in the middle of nowhere, she was driving on a road that isn't plowed in winter, and got stuck.

How can anyone rely on a GPS so much that they don't notice they're on a road that isn't plowed, and there's a foot of snow on it? Wouldn't you stop to think about driving on a road that was only a snowmobile trail?

There was a couple from NS who went through a stop sign and the driver was killed, it was because they were following their GPS and the highway was changed. Still, aren't you supposed to read the red stop signs?

I'm always amazed at people who are so completely incompetent at driving. Don't these people look out their windows? Wtf is wrong with them? They'd drive into the ocean if the GPS told them to.

I believe when they first turned off the highway onto this road it looked like a well travelled secondary road, but the further they went the worse it got. There are lots of roads around here just like that.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
[youtube]iCmFXWYvXrA[/youtube]

Three young women escaped a sinking SUV after a direction from a rental car GPS unit sent them down a boat launch and into the Mercer Slough early Wednesday.The driver apparently thought she was on a road while following her GPS unit just after midnight, but she was actually heading down the

http://bellevue.komonews.com/news/911/women-escape-sinking-car-after-crashing...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
This whole story simply boggles the mind. It almost sounds like a bad comedy the way all the mistakes and odd decisions piled up into this two month horror story.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
This whole story simply boggles the mind. It almost sounds like a bad comedy the way all the mistakes and odd decisions piled up into this two month horror story.

It's easy to make a judgment from 1000 miles away, however I agree with you. From the numerous T.V. reports of the discovery of the van it appeared to be in open country. The last reported sighting was in Eastern Oregon, but from what I can gather the search covered the entire area from there to Las Vegas. To me it would seem reasonable to confine the search to about 200 miles from the last sighting as by the time they had driven that far, it would be time to gas up, buy a snack or take a piss.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I've never been in this type of situation and hopefully I never will be. But I cannot for the life of me understand this propensity that people seem to have to split up in these situations. It just doesn't make sense to me. Yet you hear about it all the time

I'm not trying to second guess anyone in this situation, right or wrong decision, they paid the ultimate price so nothing more need be said really. But why leave, strike out on your own, separate yourself from whomever you are lost with? Is it because some people feel the need to always be doing something? Is there some kind of explanation for that kind of behaviour that anyone can think of because I'm really at a loss.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I've never been in this type of situation and hopefully I never will be. But I cannot for the life of me understand this propensity that people seem to have to split up in these situations. It just doesn't make sense to me. Yet you hear about it all the time

I'm not trying to second guess anyone in this situation, right or wrong decision, they paid the ultimate price so nothing more need be said really. But why leave, strike out on your own, separate yourself from whomever you are lost with? Is it because some people feel the need to always be doing something? Is there some kind of explanation for that kind of behaviour that anyone can think of because I'm really at a loss.

Normally you'd be quite right. He did stay with the van for three days apparently and I suppose having the G.P.S. he did know how far and on what bearing the town was and I would guess he made the judgment call that he should strike out before his condition deteriorated to where he'd be unable. I'm not sure if they knew the distance of this "shortcut", but before you set out on a strange gravel road you'd check the local knowledge first if it was to be a great distance. I would also be alerted by the absense of directional signs.