Quebec fined for not accommodating obese prisoner

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Outstanding.

MONTREAL - Quebec's human rights commission fined the province's public security ministry $10,000 for not reasonably accommodating a morbidly obese detainee who weighed 430 pounds.

The human rights commission also ordered the security ministry to renovate two of its detention centres to accommodate overweight prisoners.

Michel "Big Mike" Lapointe, 41, was arrested in September 2006 for conspiracy, drug trafficking and trafficking for the profit of a criminal organization.

Big Mike complained to the commission in 2008 that he was not given the "necessary accommodations" for his handicap. The commission unanimously ruled last month that Big Mike was right.

Lapointe weighed 375 pounds when he entered the detention centre and 430 pounds when he was released more than two years later. Big Mike complained to the commission that his body exceeded his bed by six inches on either side. He also complained that his health deteriorated while he was detained as the hospital equipment was not adapted for his weight.

The commission ruled last month that the province's security ministry must pay Big Mike $10,000 - $7,000 for moral damages and $3,000 as a punitive measure. The commission also ruled that the ministry must renovate "several cells" to accommodate people with handicaps, including those who are morbidly obese.

Quebec's public security ministry has until Oct. 12 to comply with the commission's ruling or it can appeal the decision in court. A spokesperson from the ministry told QMI Agency Friday that it had not yet made a decision.

Quebec fined for not accommodating obese prisoner | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
If other people have to change your surroundings to accommodate your ass, the problem is yours.

Eat less, exercise more.

Even as a big guy myself, I look at fat bastards like this guy, and say, "You let yourself go dude".

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Michel "Big Mike" Lapointe, 41, was arrested in September 2006 for conspiracy, drug trafficking and trafficking for the profit of a criminal organization.

&

The commission ruled last month that the province's security ministry must pay Big Mike $10,000 - $7,000 for moral damages and $3,000 as a punitive measure. The commission also ruled that the ministry must renovate "several cells" to accommodate people with handicaps, including those who are morbidly obese.

.....together in the same short news story....just galls me.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Lapointe weighed 375 pounds when he entered the detention centre and 430 pounds when he was released more than two years later.

How in the hell does someone gain 55lbs in prison?8O

Is the food that good?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
By doing absolutely nothing, and avoiding the use of the many narcotics available.

Is the food that good?
Not really. If the inmates still serve it, I would suggest eating light.

Most everyone, including myself, that I know, that has done at least 3 months to a year, has come out lighter than when they went in.

The food is "portioned" by a dietition I'm assuming....so I'm assuming
the guy didn't move while he was there. Again, just assuming.
That's a safe bet.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If other people have to change your surroundings to accommodate your ass, the problem is yours.

Eat less, exercise more.

Even as a big guy myself, I look at fat bastards like this guy, and say, "You let yourself go dude".

They're definitely feeding him too much!

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Big Mike and his self-righteous supporters be laughing heartily about this I'll wager.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The food is "portioned" by a dietition I'm assuming....so I'm assuming
the guy didn't move while he was there. Again, just assuming.

That would have been my guess as well. I get that the not moving part is certainly not going to help matters, but as soon as you reduce your caloric intake to less than what is needed to sustain your body weight, you will lose something. That's why fad, crash diets work in the short term.

By doing absolutely nothing, and avoiding the use of the many narcotics available.

I see where that would impact on not losing any weight, but gaining that much still doesn't make any sense to me.

Not really. If the inmates still serve it, I would suggest eating light.

Most everyone, including myself, that I know, that has done at least 3 months to a year, has come out lighter than when they went in.
That's what I would anticipate for most. It might not be dramatic weight loss, but I'd figure most would lose a few pounds. At minimum, I could see them maintaining their weight. But gaining 55lbs still seems odd.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB

Is the food that good?

Apparently Mike's 125lb cellmate has been missing since around the time he gained the weight 8O

My thoughts on this situation are if living in prison is going to pose a problem for you then you might want to find a job that doesn't involve a.drug cartel. Otherwise suck it up Buttercup! Can't do the time...don't do the crime as they say.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Eat less, exercise more.

Some people can be overwheit for genetic reasons too. I knew one man years ago who was overwheight owing to excessively low metabolism owing to his mother being exposed to radiation when she was pregnant with him. She had lived near a nuclear weapons test site in the USA.

Though he was healthy most of his life, by midlife his metabolism was shutting down.

He never got compensation though, apparently since he was a Vietnam draft dodger come to Canada (he'd been a peace activist at the time).

Of course cases like his are exceptions to the rule, but just saying.

Now as for offering healthy meals in prison and making prisoners work within reason, I'm all for that. But of course they also should have the freedom to care for their health in prison too.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
They're definitely feeding him too much!
Not likely. As Ron touched on, there is a nutritional plan in place.

It is sometimes gone around by claiming you aren't being fed enough, or taking other peoples food.

i've seen both.

Big Mike and his self-righteous supporters be laughing heartily about this I'll wager.
No doubt.

Sticking it to the 'man' is a jail house hobby.

That's what I would anticipate for most. It might not be dramatic weight loss, but I'd figure most would lose a few pounds. At minimum, I could see them maintaining their weight. But gaining 55lbs still seems odd.
It depends on what you're gaining too.

Actually I erred earlier, a buddy of mine that did two years less a day, in Joyceville, came out about 50lbs heavier. Mind you he had no neck and could bench press mid size imports. Steroids and other peoples meals, or portions thereof, helped out a lot.

Apparently Mike's 125lb cellmate has been missing since around the time he gained the weight :shock:
Now that's funny!!!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Apparently Mike's 125lb cellmate has been missing since around the time he gained the weight 8O

:):):)

It depends on what you're gaining too.

Actually I erred earlier, a buddy of mine that did two years less a day, in Joyceville, came out about 50lbs heavier. Mind you he had no neck and could bench press mid size imports. Steroids and other peoples meals, or portions thereof, helped out a lot.

I get the gaining muscle part, but typically fat converts to muscle when you work out with weights, doesn't it?

And I somehow doubt this guy is 435lbs of pure muscle.

Now that's funny!!!
Yes it was. :)

Some people can be overwheit for genetic reasons too. I knew one man years ago who was overwheight owing to excessively low metabolism owing to his mother being exposed to radiation when she was pregnant with him. She had lived near a nuclear weapons test site in the USA.

Though he was healthy most of his life, by midlife his metabolism was shutting down.

He never got compensation though, apparently since he was a Vietnam draft dodger come to Canada (he'd been a peace activist at the time).

Of course cases like his are exceptions to the rule, but just saying.

Now as for offering healthy meals in prison and making prisoners work within reason, I'm all for that. But of course they also should have the freedom to care for their health in prison too.

I get all of that, and I can certainly see making accommodations for health reasons or simply for practicality purposes. What I think was grotesque was to compensate him monetarily.