John Furlong accused of abuse to students.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Some former students I know had a teacher of ours charged with plus much more serious s e x ual assault charges dating back to 1966 at CFB Uplands. Shame, guilt and fear were the contributing factors in the main guy launching his complaint but then others came forward. I tend to believe that group.

As far as 'just' physical contact (he kicked them??? or gave a slowpoke a light boot in the arse?) and verbal abuse, I don't see why this is just coming out now. But what do I know about the details other than a couple news reports. There must be more to this. Serious, repeated beatings or some such.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I watched an interview yesterday with a former female student who alleges Mr Furlong sexually abused her..........I have to say I have grave reservations about the veracity of those statements from this woman.

That's good, I sure don't want to see a bad side to Mr. Furlong, but I sure don't want to dismiss allegations made off hand either. Usually if charges are serious they are raised right away, so these allegations are suspect, but as punishment is due on one side or the other, I think a thorough investigation is necessary.

Shouldn't this thread be in the members only area?

If you've been reading the newspaper or listening to the news I think you would conclude that it falls under the category of "news". But then, I've noticed you can be slow on several issues. :lol::lol::lol:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I don't believe one word of the allegations, and I also watched his statement this morning, and can't

wait for the outcome, because I know he is totally innocent of these charges, his words verified

this for me, so time will tell the truth here.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I don't believe one word of the allegations, and I also watched his statement this morning, and can't

wait for the outcome, because I know he is totally innocent of these charges, his words verified

this for me, so time will tell the truth here.

He was 18 years old at the time of the alleged allegations. I, too doubt if he did anything very serious, but the school standards in those days were much different from now. Kids actually got severely strapped for telling the teacher to "take a hike". He may have kicked a kid's ass that deserved it.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I believe I read that the reporter in question had apparently asked for money for this to "quietly go away". If this indeed true, said "reporter" needs to be given the boot.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I definitely think there is something to these allegations, we just don't know how much.

I'm sure there is too. I'd immagine it's extremely rare that a person, let alone a group of persons, make such claims. But presumption of innocence...

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
How about this.

While only 2%-5% of abuse allegations are false; ones made in bad faith with malice aforethought, another 60% or more are unfounded, or without foundation.
We'll add this one in here too.

False abuse accusations against teachers 'on the rise' - Canada - CBC News

If you add to that the very human propensity towards 'mass hysteria', you can quickly come up large numbers of people who claim the same or similar abuses against one person. And it's counter-intuitive as well, one would usually very reasonably assume that having the numbers means there is more truth to a matter, not less.

It's one of the reasons that it is so important to have people with impeccable integrity, who do not let their emotions get carried away, be the ones who assess, investigate, and judge these matters. That's a difficult task, I couldn't do it.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Oh I have no doubts about the validity of your position, it's sound.

It oft takes but one person to start it, and others just pile on for all manner of reasons.

I noticed those that used the "if more than one are doing the accusing it must be true" crap, are suddenly very quiet.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Back in the 60's nearly every teacher was verbally or physically abusive, because the school system and law condoned it. Even if he did what they say he did it was ok back then. Par for the course. What a bs way to railroad someone.