Cyberbullying victim can remain anonymous

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
A Nova Scotia teenager has won the right to remain anonymous in a court battle against a cyberbully, but the Supreme Court of Canada rejected her request for a publication ban on some details of her case.

The 17-year-old high school student, identified in court documents as A.B., and her father were asking Canada's top court to protect their identity in a court order that would force an internet company to reveal the identity of the person who created a fake Facebook account with her likeness.

more

Cyberbullying victim can remain anonymous, court rules - Politics - CBC News

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I don't see the point in cyber bullying or bullying in general.

I have no problems with anyone because they disagree with me. I have a problem with the rudeness, taunts, insults, name calling, trolling... because I think this forum should have higher standards and bad behavior is contagious (encourages bad behavior in response)

Last edited:

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I think this forum should have higher standards

Perhaps you should consider putting your name forward as a Moderator or some such position.

Anyway, you cannot argue with yourself. Those that succumb to or are unwilling to back away from (what we all know will certainly amount to a CAPS match, vulgarity orgy or simple nit nattery) the obvious, are beyond assistance. Anyone with enough time on internet forums or even 5 minutes on 4Chan know what's coming down the pike. No need for the Amazing Randy to warn us eh.

That is what the famous Ignore Function is for. It's built into your control panel dontcha know.

Quite frankly, I've been around enough to realize that hand-holding, coddling and constant interference does nothing to improve anybody's standards. It becomes busybodyism, post suffocation and is just plain unwelcome by folks. They are adults and with that comes choice, common sense and wisdom. At least that is my own flavor of moderific participation. Others have theirs and that's cool too.

But when critics slag a site, my response has been known to be kinda like:

Don't let the door hit ya. If ya know what I mean Vern. :lol:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I can NOT believe that anyone would have the nerve to compare voluntarily bumping up against trolls in a forum where you are anonymous, with the creation of dummy accounts with someone's real name, that effects them in real life. Seriously, grow up and realize the difference.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
We have some cyber bullies around here too.
You being an excellent example thereof.

I don't see the point in cyber bullying or bullying in general.
Then why do you do it?

I have no problems with anyone because they disagree with me.
Yes you do. You call them names, almost instantly upon disagreeing with you and showing the error in your propaganda.
I have a problem with the rudeness, taunts, insults, name calling, trolling...
And yet you do it all the time.

You are the epitome of hypocrite.

... because I think this forum should have higher standards and bad behavior is contagious (encourages bad behavior in response)
Most of us are already aware of your faulty logic.

I can NOT believe that anyone would have the nerve to compare voluntarily bumping up against trolls in a forum where you are anonymous, with the creation of dummy accounts with someone's real name, that effects them in real life. Seriously, grow up and realize the difference.
Some people are just that kind of stupid.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
i can not believe that anyone would have the nerve to compare voluntarily bumping up against trolls in a forum where you are anonymous, with the creation of dummy accounts with someone's real name, that effects them in real life. Seriously, grow up and realize the difference.

+1000

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Is it just me, or does it seem like most of the members in these forums have gotten way too wound up over the last few months / year?

Man you guys are taking this internet stuff a bit too seriously, flying off the handle over silly comments you don't agree with, getting upset over situations that don't even directly affect you, not to mention getting upset over stories of people you don't know and have no direct impact on your own lives.

sniping, tossing personal attacks/insults, very little debate....

Take a pill, hug a rainbow, toss a midget, lighten the hell up.... cripes.

If I was still smoking pot, I'd say you guys were killing my buzz..... That's right, I hope you all feel bad.

*points finger*

SHAME! *tisk tisk*

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Is it just me, or does it seem like most of the members in these forums have gotten way too wound up over the last few months / year?

Man you guys are taking this internet stuff a bit too seriously, flying off the handle over silly comments you don't agree with, getting upset over situations that don't even directly affect you, not to mention getting upset over stories of people you don't know and have no direct impact on your own lives.

sniping, tossing personal attacks/insults, very little debate....

Take a pill, hug a rainbow, toss a midget, lighten the hell up.... cripes.

If I was still smoking pot, I'd say you guys were killing my buzz..... That's right, I hope you all feel bad.

*points finger*

SHAME! *tisk tisk*

It's not just you.
This doesn't surprise me,you cant read body language or emotions very well over the internet like you can face to face.
For example I get pm's telling me to relax and settle down and in reality I haven't got mad at anything or anyone in over ten years.:)
Life is too short to worry about **** you have no control over.

I just smile and wave.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
It's not just you.
This doesn't surprise me,you cant read body language or emotions very well over the internet like you can face to face.
For example I get pm's telling me to relax and settle down and in reality I haven't got mad at anything or anyone in over ten years.:)
Life is too short to worry about **** you have no control over.

I just smile and wave.

It's not just you. ;-)

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I was very glad to hear this! She deserves to keep her anonymity. It's bad enough the crap that she had to put up with with the cyber-bullying in the first place, and she shouldn't have to have her name made public because the media demands it. Her wellbeing is more important than the media's cries for "full disclosure!".

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I was very glad to hear this! She deserves to keep her anonymity. It's bad enough the crap that she had to put up with with the cyber-bullying in the first place, and she shouldn't have to have her name made public because the media demands it. Her wellbeing is more important than the media's cries for "full disclosure!".

Especially when you consider that the perpetrator being under 18 (presumably) is automatically identity protected under legislation.