RCMP to announce ‘significant development’ in Highway of Tears case

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
RCMP to announce ‘significant development’ in Highway of Tears case

About time- If these women disappeared in middle- high income residential areas this would have been investigated for the get go-

RCMP to announce

The RCMP are planning to Tuesday announce a “significant development” in an ongoing probe into the Highway of Tears case that has since more than two dozen women killed or go missing since the late 1960s.

Tuesday’s announcement involves the 18 of these cases that have been investigated by RCMP under the name Project E-PANA.

RCMP announced Monday they will be announcing the development in the case, and also seek assistance from British Columbians, Canadians and Americans.

Families of victims have been notified, police said but did not provide any other details on the news conference announcement issued Monday.

RCMP also said in the statement that a representative of the United States would be among the participants in Tuesday’s news conference. A family member of one of the victims will also speak to the media.

Global BC has reported that the RCMP will announce one person is responsible for one of the 18 murders along the highways of northern B.C., and that the same individual may have committed or be a suspect in murders across Canada, along the coast and into the United States – possibly as far away as Los Angeles.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Hope he died of Anal Cancer or something along those lines.. what was he a trucker.. says Canadian customs failed at keeping this ex-con out of Canada..

Poor, poor girls.. this is the last ugly mug they see before dieing. geez.

oh update, he died died in May 2006 of lung cancer.. lol

Hope it was slow and painful..

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Deceased U.S. convict linked to 3 B.C. cold cases - British Columbia - CBC News

RCMP in B.C. are asking the public to help reconstruct the movements of a U.S. convict who may be responsible for the deaths of three or more women in the B.C. Interior during the early 1970s.

Police say the DNA of American convict Bobby Jack Fowler was found on the body of Colleen MacMillen, 16, who was last seen alive hitchhiking in 1974 along Highway 97 near Lac La Hache, B.C., south of Prince George, on her way to see friends. She was found dead off a logging road 46 kilometres south of where she was last seen.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Deceased U.S. convict linked to 3 B.C. cold cases - British Columbia - CBC News

RCMP in B.C. are asking the public to help reconstruct the movements of a U.S. convict who may be responsible for the deaths of three or more women in the B.C. Interior during the early 1970s.

Police say the DNA of American convict Bobby Jack Fowler was found on the body of Colleen MacMillen, 16, who was last seen alive hitchhiking in 1974 along Highway 97 near Lac La Hache, B.C., south of Prince George, on her way to see friends. She was found dead off a logging road 46 kilometres south of where she was last seen.

It will be fantastic if they can conclusively tie him to those cases, after all this time there needs to be some closure, not only for the families but for the nation.

This really creeps me out though.

RCMP in B.C. say they do not believe a single serial killer is behind the 18 cases.
It as though having gone on for so long,decades, and all unsolved, it's like it's attracted them to the area. Easy pickings. Gives me shivers.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Sounds like a nice neat ending to a TV crime drama.

I don't necessarily buy it.

I don't think one, or the possibility of three max, out of eighteen over the past 40 years is neat and tidy at all. I think it sounds like a long shot suspect that paid off, which does happen on occasion.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I don't think one, or the possibility of three max, out of eighteen over the past 40 years is neat and tidy at all. I think it sounds like a long shot suspect that paid off, which does happen on occasion.
Just sayin'. I see him getting pegged with more than a couple, when all is said and done.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Just sayin'. I see him getting pegged with more than a couple, when all is said and done.

Well, maybe but, just taking it at face value, if there is one that is linked conclusively with DNA, I wouldn't be too surprised to see a couple more. From what I understand of the serial killer, they'll return to 'good hunting grounds', so to speak. I'd be a little suspicious if there was a link to all of them of course, but same 'type' of victim (age, similar look etc), same area is not too much of a stretch I don't think.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Well, maybe but, just taking it at face value, if there is one that is linked conclusively with DNA, I wouldn't be too surprised to see a couple more. From what I understand of the serial killer, they'll return to 'good hunting grounds', so to speak. I'd be a little suspicious if there was a link to all of them of course, but same 'type' of victim (age, similar look etc), same area is not too much of a stretch I don't think.
Meh, the whole announcement about a forthcoming announcement, all sounds like a great big "Look at us, we're doing sumfin".

The RCMP is looking to save some face these days.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Meh, the whole announcement about a forthcoming announcement, all sounds like a great big "Look at us, we're doing sumfin".

The RCMP is looking to save some face these days.

Are you thinking the whole thing is a fabrication? I can buy them overstating the finding, but DNA is DNA. The play up on it is the 'packaging' as far as I'm concerned. No different than the special graphics and specially composed music on any news report, lol. You got to look through that to the meat and potatoes of the whole thing.

Mind you, it would have been better had something been done before 18 women died, but to be fair there have been tons of serial killers that have gotten away with it for many, many years. And only are caught/identified through fluke or stroke of luck of the investigators.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Are you thinking the whole thing is a fabrication?
Not necessarily. Or maybe not yet.

It wouldn't be the first time a law enforcement agency, under pressure, found someone to pin a lot of cold corpses on.

At least in this case they can't send an innocent man to prison.

Maybe I'm being to cynical.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Not necessarily. Or maybe not yet.

It wouldn't be the first time a law enforcement agency, under pressure, found someone to pin a lot of cold corpses on.

At least in this case they can't send an innocent man to prison.

Maybe I'm being to cynical.

I don't necessarily think it's completely out of the question, certainly people have been 'framed' before. But we're dealing with law enforcement agencies from different jurisdictions, different nations even. The more people you need to comply with a 'conspiracy' (of any kind) means the less likelihood that it is a conspiracy in the first place. The bigger the chain, the greater the chance of weak links, lol. So I think at least the initial DNA match is probably a good one. We'll need to see how much further it actually goes though, and how far of a stretch it is should they find plausible links to more than one murdered girl.

But I've been wrong before, so who the hell knows.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I don't necessarily think it's completely out of the question, certainly people have been 'framed' before. But we're dealing with law enforcement agencies from different jurisdictions, different nations even. The more people you need to comply with a 'conspiracy' (of any kind) means the less likelihood that it is a conspiracy in the first place. The bigger the chain, the greater the chance of weak links, lol. So I think at least the initial DNA match is probably a good one. We'll need to see how much further it actually goes though, and how far of a stretch it is should they find plausible links to more than one murdered girl.

But I've been wrong before, so who the hell knows.

We have D.N.A. evidence connected to a man who typically committed this type of crime. What more do we need? GUILTY! (I know there will always be a lawyer who says this guy assaulted her and someone else killed her) Who cares?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
We have D.N.A. evidence connected to a man who typically committed this type of crime. What more do we need? GUILTY! (I know there will always be a lawyer who says this guy assaulted her and someone else killed her) Who cares?
What about the guy that had consensual sex with her, before she was murdered?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
What about the guy that had consensual sex with her, before she was murdered?

If you can find someone to buy it. From all reports she was an innocent 16 year old girl, and if she was going to have consensual sex, do you really think she'd pick that guy and then after that some murderer arrives on the scene and kills her. Nah, can't buy that one, Bear. You've been reading too much Ripley! :smile:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
If you can find someone to buy it. From all reports she was an innocent 16 year old girl, and if she was going to have consensual sex, do you really think she'd pick that guy and then after that some murderer arrives on the scene and kills her. Nah, can't buy that one, Bear. You've been reading too much Ripley! :smile:
How do we know?

Is that a fact?
It was a general hypothetical. Which is why I used "How about the guy that" Not "What if he".

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
How do we know?

It was a general hypothetical. Which is why I used "How about the guy that" Not "What if he".

Wasn't that how they, erroneously as it turns out, convicted that guy in Toronto who's girlfriend died, when it turns out Bernardo did it?

Or maybe I'm thinking about something else.