Quebec students demand free tuition

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
These turkeys have been complaining about high tuition for almost a year now and their tuition
fees have been the lowest in Canada. Now they want free tuition. I wonder who they think is
going to pay their fees. I wonder if, protesting, instead of studying, has wasted their tuition and
now they want somebody to bail them out. I'd be really upset if my kids wasted the tuition that
I paid for so they could protest

Montreal student protest calls for free tuition - Montreal - CBC News

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
give them free tuiton, and then raise taxes in general across the province :lol:

Raising taxes across the province might be about as popular as a turd in the punch bowl. Can they
order the students back to school?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
These turkeys have been complaining about high tuition for almost a year now and their tuition
fees have been the lowest in Canada. Now they want free tuition. I wonder who they think is
going to pay their fees. I wonder if, protesting, instead of studying, has wasted their tuition and
now they want somebody to bail them out. I'd be really upset if my kids wasted the tuition that
I paid for so they could protest

Montreal student protest calls for free tuition - Montreal - CBC News

You forget, #Juan, they are a distinct society! :lol:

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Their idea of free is that someone else pays for it. Typical of freeloaders.

We're all free loaders at some point. A logical question is why is post-secondary not covered like primary and secondary education? Post-secondary education of some sort is pretty much a requirement for most jobs these days.

The corollary is if it makes sense to pay for colleges/universities/trade schools, then why not for elementary and high school? I'd personally like to see some objective analysis of the status quo versus what the Quebec students are asking and alternatively if all education became unsubsidized, with costs and benefits included.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
We're all free loaders at some point. A logical question is why is post-secondary not covered like primary and secondary education? Post-secondary education of some sort is pretty much a requirement for most jobs these days.

The corollary is if it makes sense to pay for colleges/universities/trade schools, then why not for elementary and high school? I'd personally like to see some objective analysis of the status quo versus what the Quebec students are asking and alternatively if all education became unsubsidized, with costs and benefits included.

Studies have been done comparing the US pay for and in some EU paid for PS education-

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The quality of US universities varies so much that they had to invent the GREs to separate the wheat from the chaff. To me, that says it all.
Big difference between a school like say, Harvard Business School, and the College of Business at Iowa State.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

This will get you on the watch list. That's how good the idea is. This and nothing else will keep ****heads out of offices and away from expensive machinery. Just because you can afford an education is no reason to give you a seat and waste the nations full quota of intelligent youth filling corporate needs above and beyond the needs of the community.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Big difference between a school like say, Harvard Business School, and the College of Business at Iowa State.

As I mentioned studies have been done- I would search for them but at work and do not have the time. Perhaps a thread on this topic would be appropriate - with stats- studies etc.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
It all comes down to just what we as citizens demand as essential services from our govt and then holding them to account on it. I believe there are a few things that should be 100% funded by the govt. Necessary infrastructure, policing & security, healthcare, and education (including post-secondary) should never cost us a penny other than in taxes. We need a constitutional amendment making these things a requirement in the budgets. They waste billions on stupid sh*t like multiculturalism and bilingualism and a host of others that should be user pay programs. We have allowed our govts to erode funding for essential services in favor of special interest programs for far to long.