Protesters at U.S. consulate in Toronto demand government action against anti-Islamic

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011

Zafar Bangash stepped off his makeshift stage across the street from the U.S. consulate Saturday to hugs and kisses from his Muslim brothers.

Bangash, director of the Institute of Contemporary Islamic Thought in Toronto, led a crowd of roughly 1,500 in chants against the anti-Islamic film, Innocence of Muslims.

“The Muslims, united, will never be defeated,” yelled Bangash, the crowd following suit. “Shame, shame, U.S.A. Shame, shame, U.S.A.”

Bangash, the organizer of the protest, told the crowd to rise up against the inaction of the U.S., and the Canadian government as well.

“Harper, Harper, shame on you,” said Bangash, the crowd of men, women and children roaring his words back at him.

“Islamophobia has now become the official policy of the U.S. and Canadian governments,” Bangash said once offstage. He said that neither government has taken enough action against the film.

“Not a single Canadian politician has uttered a single word about this scandalous and filthy movie,” said Bangash, adding the statement issued by the U.S. government is not enough.

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has denounced the film, which ridicules the Prophet Muhammad, following violent protests across the Middle East, including an attack on the U.S. consulate in Libya that killed U.S. ambassador Christopher Stevens on Sept. 11.

Bangash wants the U.S. to remove the film from YouTube and prosecute Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, the California man allegedly behind the film, for public mischief and hate speech.

“We simply cannot accept the excuse that it’s freedom of expression,” said Bangash. “There is a limit — it’s hate speech.”

The Toronto protest remained peaceful as violence continued in Muslim countries. In Bangladesh, police fired tear gas Saturday to disperse stone-throwing protesters.

The protesters burned several vehicles, including a police van, and more than 100 people were injured.

In Pakistan, Railways Minister Ghulam Ahmad Balor said he would pay $100,000 out of his own pocket for the death of the filmmaker.

Balor’s comments came a day after more than 20 people died and 160 were injured during violent protests against the film in Pakistan’s largest cities.

“We condemn the violence taking place elsewhere,” said Bangash, adding those gathered Saturday in Toronto were protesting the Canadian way.

Meanwhile, a Toronto man linked to the movie by the Egyptian government visited Toronto police’s 42 division Saturday in Scarborough to ask for protection after Egyptian imams ordered he be beheaded.

Nader Fawzy, 52, denies any involvement with the film and says it’s the Egyptian government’s way of retaliating against a lawsuit he filed on behalf of Coptic Christian activists who died in police custody during former president Hosni Mubarak’s rein.

“I’m scared, number one, for my small kids,” said Fawzy. “Each time they are leaving the home … I’m calling them now like crazy.”

Scarborough-Agincourt MP Jim Karygiannis joined Fawzy at the police station and said he’s concerned for Fawzy’s safety.

“This is not the Canadian government I used to know,” said Karygiannis, who’s frustrated with the inaction of Minister of Foreign Affairs John Baird, whom he asked to intervene and request Fawzy’s name be cleared.

Karygiannis said he plans to speak to the RCMP to assure Fawzy’s safety and plans to bring the issue up in Parliament this week.

Protesters at U.S. consulate in Toronto demand government action against anti-Islamic movie - thestar.com

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Yeah well,

If you follow a cult leader that has engaged in murder, pedophilia, and rape......then I guess you oughta expect a little criticism.

These Mohammedans are not fit to be Canadian citizens. Those that are not should be thrown out of the country.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I disagree, Colpy. Everyone has the right to voice their own screwed up opinion. I will also say that it strikes me as ironic that the stance of these protesters is that freedom of speech is fine when they exercise the right but not someone else...

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I disagree, Colpy. Everyone has the right to voice their own screwed up opinion. I will also say that it strikes me as ironic that the stance of these protesters is that freedom of speech is fine when they exercise the right but not someone else...

It is definitely hypocrisy at it's finest.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

While I agree with freedom of speech, even while disagreeing with the government...I would put the limit at inciting riots...which is what I think Colpy meant....non?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
"Freedom of speech is not a licence to spread hatred, bigotry, and Islamophobia"

Baloney.

Islam is not only a religious, but also a political movement.

Freedom of speech, even in a restricted form, means the ability to comment on social, and political movements above all else.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Baloney.

Freedom of speech, even in a restricted form, means the ability to comment on social, and political movements above all else.

Ironically, it also means the ability to request that such ability be repealed.

"Please take away our right to say these things!"

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Baloney.

What religion isn't a political movement? Should we be lucky enough to have lots of really ****ty movies about the Zionist God I wonder if you'd stand with the same lean. Baloney is not safe to eat anymore. I'm not sure if it ever was. Anyway if there's an area of history that I respect you for it would be your deep familiarity with baloney of all ages.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
What religion isn't a political movement? Should we be lucky enough to have lots of really ****ty movies about the Zionist God I wonder if you'd stand with the same lean. Baloney is not safe to eat anymore. I'm not sure if it ever was. Anyway if there's an area of history that I respect you for it would be your deep familiarity with baloney of all ages.

Well, certainly Christianity takes a beating in film.......

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
All religion is enshrined in the American Constitution and as well as the Canadian Bill Of Rights. Freedom of religion is practiced here and as the religious rules are eroded the freedom to protect it will always be a threat that this country has to endure.

The only way to protect our fragile society is to have a separation of church and state and if we don't we run the risk of falling into the abyss and lose our precious way of life.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
"Freedom of speech is not a licence to spread hatred, bigotry, and Islamophobia"

Freedom of speech is not a license to demand the death of the maker of a piss poor film either. Or scream DEATH to AMERICA.
Funny how the crazies are quite willing to use our laws when it suits them.