Man jumps into tiger pit at Bronx Zoo, gets mauled

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Man jumps into tiger pit at Bronx Zoo, gets mauled

By Jonathan Allen, Reuters

NEW YORK - A Siberian tiger critically injured a man who jumped into the big cat’s den at New York’s Bronx Zoo on Friday, retreating only after emergency workers scared it off with a fire extinguisher.
The man, 25, was riding the zoo’s elevated monorail in the afternoon and leapt from a car, clearing a fence around the tiger enclosure, according to a statement from the zoo.
He was taken to a local hospital in critical condition. His condition was later upgraded to stable, a spokeswoman for the Jacobi Medical Center said.
Zoo and fire officials said the man received bites or puncture wounds on his arms, legs and shoulder during the roughly 10 minutes he was alone with the tiger.
“One leg was severely injured,” said Frank Dwyer, a fire department spokesman, although he could not confirm early reports the man lost a foot in the incident.
In rescuing the man, the zoo’s emergency workers used a fire extinguisher to repel the tiger, then ordered the man to roll under an electrified perimeter wire to safety. The staff had been prepared to use deadly force if necessary, zoo director Jim Breheny told a televised news conference.

“If not for the quick response by our staff and their ability to perform well in emergency situations, the outcome would have been very different,” the zoo said.
The tiger involved is an 11-year-old, 400-pound (180-kg) male named Bachuta, Breheny said. The director said the zoo would review the incident but would not put the tiger down or take it out of the exhibit.
Breheny said the incident was “just an extraordinary event that happened because somebody was trying to endanger themselves.”
“The tiger did nothing wrong in this case at all,” he said.
In July, tigers at a zoo in Copenhagen killed a man who scaled a fence and crossed a moat to get into their den, and wolves at Sweden’s largest zoo killed a zookeeper in their enclosure in June.

Man jumps into tiger pit at Bronx Zoo, gets mauled - World - Canoe.ca

The staff had been prepared to use deadly force if necessary
I'm not sure why, seems like the tigers had everything well in hand.

Honestly, what did this idiot think was going to happen?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Stupid human tricks.

Saw a video last week of a native guy in Africa (Cameroon I think) they called the 'crocodile whisperer' walking amongst a bunch of them in his white robe and *BAM*...one grabbed him and dragged him into the water as the crowd watched the show.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
That saves on the blushing, stuttering and a whole of "hmmm's" "ha's" and Bear told me too's.

You've got to get up pretty early in the morning to pull one over on me. And I know you're an early riser, so I'm on my guard.

With the whole salami or just the tip?
Well duh! Depends on the size of the salami doesn't it?;)

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Obviously the zoo workers botched this up royally....they should gone on coffee break and told him to hang on for 15 minutes. :p

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
As zoo officials rushed to get the man away from the tiger’s enclosure the man nevertheless suffered a bitten back, a punctured lung as well as having various parts of his body clawed. At the time the man was instructed to roll under a hot wire to safety, before zoo officials were eventually able to restrain the tiger. Still conscious at the time of his rescue he told emergency workers that he had intended to take his own life.
Man attempting suicide mauled by tiger at Bronx zoo. Leapt from monorail.

From an unreliable source....

Assuming that explanation I agree with Zoo officials rescuing the man for the tiger's sake. If Zoo officials let people commit suicide like this once, it'll happen repeatedly... just like how people jump off bridges... Besides suicide by tiger stressing the tiger, human flesh is probably not as healthy for the tiger as its regular food.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Do you really think anyone was seriously entertaining the notion of leaving him? Honestly?