Mulcair compares oilsands to toxic waste site

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Neckbeard speaks again. :lol:

Opposition leader Thomas Mulcair expanded his attack on Western Canada's resource industries, comparing the oilsands to Sydney's tar ponds - a notorious toxic waste site in Nova Scotia.

During a debate on the economy Thursday, Conservative MP Chris Warkentin accused the NDP leader of wanting to "go after industry in my province of Alberta" by putting a price on carbon emissions.

That's when Mulcair mentioned the mess left by the coke ovens of Cape Breton steel plants.

more from this idiot:

Sun News : Mulcair compares oilsands to toxic waste site

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Drink a glass of oil and tell me it's not toxic. Oh wait, you won't be able to tell me because you'd be dead.

So is Drano- Look around your house, apartment and then check and see how much off gassing of chemicals result- from your CPU to your fire retardant chairs, sofa- then what a person uses to clean their house. Oh yes and the paint on the walls- likely high in VOC.

Case Study 2.1?The Sydney tar ponds?One of Canada's largest and most contaminated sites

Sydney Tar Ponds Agency looking for green space bidders - Nova Scotia - CBC News

Radon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Household Chemicals Chart: Whats in my House?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I don't understand why you thought it was important to make a list of toxic things.
It was for those that are not aware of the chemical soup just inside their house. As to the oil sands - they are not going away. In my opinion they have improved in the reduction mix of chemicals produced - water used has been reduced - land reclamation is still coming along slowly but that will increase- these are 50 year plants- so they will be always updating their ability to lower cost per barrel.

BruSan

Electoral Member
Jul 5, 2011
So why do you think Mulcair is busily going about making his party irrelevant in all but the province of Quebec?

Does Pauline the Peril believe she's up to the competition he's going to give her to be the head honcho?

This should be fun to watch; one stuffed shirt self destructing and one lady ( perhaps not) miming a puffer fish.

Last edited:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Too bad they hadn't noted the words "left over" - like brown fields left behind when any industry closes - so the comment might have been taken in context instead of a red flag for people looking for fight

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Does Mulcair have no issues with the hundreds of thousands of acres of land and trees that were lost when hydro Quebec started building Dams to sell power to the US? How many carbon credits do his Quebec hypocrite buddies lose for that?
How about the huge open pit mines in Quebec and heavy metal pollution? They bear no resemblance to the oil sands eh? :roll:

BruSan

Electoral Member
Jul 5, 2011
Does Mulcair have no issues with the hundreds of thousands of acres of land and trees that were lost when hydro Quebec started building Dams to sell power to the US? How many carbon credits do his Quebec hypocrite buddies lose for that?
How about the huge open pit mines in Quebec and heavy metal pollution? They bear no resemblance to the oil sands eh? :roll:

Not to mention the Asbestos mines that the federal government took all kinds of flack over on the world stage just to keep Quebec appeased. Now ole puffer fish has taken the heat off so we can all bury that nightmare of a blight.