Omar Khadr feels misunderstood

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
That's a shame.

Convicted terrorist Omar Khadr believes that both he and his late father are misunderstood, according to a media report that claims to have seen a transcript of psychological evaluations of Khadr from 2010.

Maclean's magazine says it has seen a tape transcript of the psychological evaluations conducted by two doctors prior to Khadr's trial - part of tapes Public Safety Minister Vic Toews will use to decide whether to allow the 25-year-old Khadr to return to Canada from the American military prison in Guantanamo, Cuba.

Of his father, Ahmed Khadr - who took his sons to join al-Qaida and live in Osama bin Laden's Afghan compound - the younger Khadr is reported to have said, "I think he was just a normal dad ... He was just trying to raise his children the right way."

When asked what he missed about life in Canada, Khadr is reported to have said he missed being trusted.

"Nobody trusts me and they don't trust me because of something I didn't do or I was made to do," he reportedly said. "I was never given a chance."

more

Omar Khadr feels misunderstood: Report | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Was Ezra sued over this? No? Perhaps it is the truth.
The truth about Omar Khadr - Ezra Levant

The truth about Omar Khadr

By Ezra Levant on July 13, 2010 1:03 AM | Permalink | |

Here's an op-ed that I wrote about Omar Khadr for the Sun newspapers. Instead of the junior high yearbook photo that most media use (it was provided to them by Khadr's mother -- seriously), here are a few photos I prefer for their accuracy and relevance:

Needless to say, I've never seen these photos in the Canadian mainstream media.
The first photo is Khadr sitting next to an AK-47 submachine gun (that is a fan in his hand). The other photo is Khadr assembling improvised explosive devices (IEDs). Both are screen grabs from the Sixty Minutes segment on Khadr, which is pretty well done. You can watch it here.
OK, back to the column:
Khadr's no angel: Left-wing lawyers are using imprisoned Canadian as a way to undermine war on terror
Omar Khadr is the 23-year-old Canadian being prosecuted in a Guantanamo Bay prison by the Obama Administration for allegedly murdering U.S. Army Sergeant Christopher Speer in Afghanistan eight years ago.
Here are some facts about Khadr:
1. One photo isn’t the full story
Most liberal defenders of Khadr don’t like to mention the actual evidence about Khadr and his family.
For example, the most common photo published of Khadr was released to the press by his mother; it looks like a junior high yearbook photo.
But there are other, more recent photos and videos of Khadr around, including pictures of him handling explosives.
And there’s him posing next to an AK-47 machine-gun, practising building an IED (improvised explosive device), the type that has killed so many Canadian soldiers.
Don’t be swayed by the angelic picture you so often see.
2. Khadr is a political football for anti-war lawyers
Khadr is one of about 1,000 Canadians being held in foreign jails at any one time. Some are real criminals. And some, like Huseyin Celil, are political prisoners. Celil has been held illegally for four years by China. The Canadian Bar Association, a left-wing lobby group, has issued over 100 statements about Khadr — but not a word about Celil. Why?
Khadrmania isn’t about a Canadian’s civil rights. It’s about left-wing lawyers trying to use Khadr as a way to undermine the war on terror.
3. Khadr was not a child soldier
Instead of talking about what Khadr actually did, his supporters prefer to focus on his youth — he was 15 when he allegedly threw the grenade at Sgt. Speer. Fifteen is young, but it’s not unheard of; in the First World War, Canada’s Tommy Ricketts received the Victoria Cross when he was 17.
The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child — hardly a right-wing document — is clear: 15-year-olds are not child soldiers. Article 38 of that treaty defines a child soldier as someone who has “not attained the age of 15” — so 14 and under.
Khadr was old enough to be in an instructional video on how to kill; he’s surely old enough to stand trial.
4. Khadr was not a soldier at all
After the barbarity of the Second World War, the nations of the world tried to agree to some laws of war. In 1949 they ratified the Third Geneva Convention, that clearly defined a soldier. Article 4 includes “volunteer corps” and “organized resistance movements,” even those operating “outside their own territory.” But resistance fighters need to do things to distinguish themselves from mere murderers: They have to be part of a chain of command; to show a flag or emblem “recognizable at a distance,” to carry their weapons “openly,” not secretly; and to follow the “laws and customs of war.”
Khadr had to do those four things to be considered a soldier, and entitled to any rights. He did none of them.
5. No one cared until the Conservatives were elected
Khadr has been in U.S. custody for eight years, four of which were under prime ministers Jean Chretien and Paul Martin, and four under Stephen Harper.
Why was the media- political-legal establishment so quiet during the first four years, and so noisy these past four years?
Sort of answers itself.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
"Nobody trusts me and they don't trust me because of something I didn't do or I was made to do," he reportedly said. "I was never given a chance."

He was made to do? Made to do?!? Bull****! Everything he did was by his choice! He doesn't like the consequences to those actions? Too bad! And as far as him never being given a chance? Well buddy, any chance you may have been given is pretty much gone once you decided to go down the route you did.

Do me a favour and stay the hell out of Canada.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Come on you people, every good dad takes his kids to live with terrorists and be trained
to be brought up properly. Of course he is misunderstood, he became a terrorist and now
no one trusts him/ Poor child what a hardship indeed. Little bugger should be made to
bob for french fries, Think about that for a second, picture it? Bobbing for french fries

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

He was made to do? Made to do?!? Bull****! Everything he did was by his choice! He doesn't like the consequences to those actions? Too bad! And as far as him never being given a chance? Well buddy, any chance you may have been given is pretty much gone once you decided to go down the route you did.

The kid was 13 when his parents took him to Afghanistan. You think he chose that? No 13 year old gets to chose that. The parents do. He was never given a chance, just like all child soldiers. And yes, under international law he counts as one. Yet for some reason the only ones we're interested in helping are the ones in Africa - child soldiers who are known to have killed many people. Their family included sometimes. The rest of his family is a different story as they were adults who made all of the choices and did much worse things than Omar. Given what people knew about that family before the incident they shouldnt have been allowed to take the kid out of the country in the first place. Particularly not to Afghanistan.

Im not saying release him. The damage is done. He got screwed by both his family and society.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Come on you people, every good dad takes his kids to live with terrorists and be trained
to be brought up properly. Of course he is misunderstood, he became a terrorist and now
no one trusts him/ Poor child what a hardship indeed. Little bugger should be made to
bob for french fries, Think about that for a second, picture it? Bobbing for french fries

Why should he be given any less of a chance than any other juvenile who screws up?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The kid was 13 when his parents took him to Afghanistan.
Then he felt he wasn't getting enough training or the right kind of hate, and left his dad for more training and better hate.

That was his choice.