Now She Wants a Cut of the Action

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Woman who botched century-old Jesus painting wants to be paid

By QMI Agency

An elderly woman who inadvertently ruined a century-old Spanish painting of Jesus wants to be paid for her work.
Cecila Giminez, a parishioner in her 80s, made headlines in August for her attempt to restore a 20th-century fresco of Jesus that had been water damaged at a church in Zaragoza, Spain.
Her botched efforts, which turned an Ecce Homo into what critics have compared to a Planet of the Apes character, infuriated officials from the Sanctuary of Mercy Church and left them scrambling to determine if the 102-year-old artwork could be saved.
A BBC Europe correspondent described the restoration as resembling "a crayon sketch of a very hairy monkey in an ill-fitting tunic."
Spanish newspaper Heraldo de Aragon reported the original painter's family believes the damage done to the artwork is "irreversible."
But now Gimenez wants the church to turn over some of the 2000 euro it made in admission fees over four days when it turned the painting into a tourist attraction, reports ElCorreo.com.

The octogenarian has holed herself up in her home, in the village of Borja, overwhelmed by the worldwide attention and the news that approximately 30,000 fans have turned up at the church to see monkey-like Jesus, according to the newspaper.
But that hasn't stopped the accidental artist from hiring a lawyer, who will seek royalties for her work.

Woman who botched century-old Jesus painting wants to be paid - Weird News - Canoe.ca

Does she deserve a piece of the action?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Yes, she absolutely does.... because she needs mental care. Charity starts at home. Get her some help.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Yes, she absolutely does.... because she needs mental care. Charity starts at home. Get her some help.

Yeah get her some help......just keep her away from important paintings and take away her crayons.:roll:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
If they have been making money of showing her painting, however horrible, she is probably entited. Of course, the church will claim it was a donation. They may also sue her for vandalism if they want to go tit for tat.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
If they have been making money of showing her painting, however horrible, she is probably entited. Of course, the church will claim it was a donation. They may also sue her for vandalism if they want to go tit for tat.

If you do a mural for someone, I doubt you are entitled to a cut from the showings unless you specifically had a contract stating such.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
If you do a mural for someone, I doubt you are entitled to a cut from the showings unless you specifically had a contract stating such.

I suspect her lawyer woud argue that by opening up the church for viewing by admission was not covered under the original contract (which I am sure does not exist since I doubt anybody would have allowed her to do this if they had known). So without contract it comes to verbal understandings. I can see a case being made.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Is it her Church?

She should look for other avenues like autographed T-Shirts and postcards or ****ed up painiting of Jesus bobbleheads.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
My take on it? She botched the 'restoration', story went viral worldwide, she's publicly humiliated and the church, after freaking out and taking the story viral (hence the public humiliation), went and used the painting as a tourist attraction, perhaps in an attempt to recoup their loses, and earned a few coin in the process at her expense.

At least, that's what I think the lawyer's angle is likely to be.

Whether she deserves any compensation or not, I personally don't think she does. And if I were her, I'd want to get as far away from it all as possible. She's going to go down in infamy, the poor, nutty, talentless old thing.Lol.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I actually think the new version looks kind of nice. At least I can consider it art, unlike the "Piss Christ" that was mentioned in a different thread.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I actually think the new version looks kind of nice. At least I can consider it art, unlike the "Piss Christ" that was mentioned in a different thread.

"A crayon sketch of very hairy monkey in an ill fitting tunic".

Not high art. But miles above bodily waste, yes.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
"A crayon sketch of very hairy monkey in an ill fitting tunic".

Not high art. But miles above bodily waste, yes.

There are so many examples of what is considered "art" nowadays. It really boggles the mind.

I know that the late painter Thomas Kinkade has his share of detractors, but I happen to like his work. I actually own quite a few jigsaw puzzles that use his paintings as the puzzle, and I find them quite pleasing to the eye.:)

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
There are so many examples of what is considered "art" nowadays. It really boggles the mind.

I know that the late painter Thomas Kinkade has his share of detractors, but I happen to like his work. I actually own quite a few jigsaw puzzles that use his paintings as the puzzle, and I find them quite pleasing to the eye.:)

Art is highly, highly subjective. It's hard to define but you know it when you see it. And we all have a different aesthetic.