Edmonton fired teacher hired!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Edmonton teacher fired for giving zeros gets new job - Edmonton - CBC News

The Edmonton teacher who was fired for giving his students zeros has got a new job at a local private school.

Lynden Dorval, a former physics teacher at Ross Sheppard High School, was suspended in May for giving students zeros for work that wasn't handed in or tests not taken.

That method went against the school's policy of not awarding zeros and on Friday Dorval found out he was fired.
Best news I've seen this week. Kids have to learn to cope with disappointment once in a while, especially if they are not pulling their weight!

Last edited by a moderator:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Glad to hear it. He should not have been fired in the first place! Talk about an idiotic rule. If they don't complete an assignment and refuse to do a makeup assignment if offered, then they SHOULD get a zero.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Good for him. I applaud what he was standing up for but even if I didn't I'd have respect for how stringently he stood by his principles.

I'm glad someone appreciates him. :)

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Good for him. I applaud what he was standing up for but even if I didn't I'd have respect for how stringently he stood by his principles.

I'm glad someone appreciates him. :)

Until students are held accountable for their actions(or in this case, inactions), the quality of people joining the workforce will get worse and worse.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Perhaps this story somehow ties in with the thread I started earlier about the mental state of university students today. Coping skills are very important and help with self confidence.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Until students are held accountable for their actions(or in this case, inactions), the quality of people joining the workforce will get worse and worse.

Absolutely! How can kids learn to take responsibility and be accountable to themselves when no one has ever held them to account? Far too much emphasis on 'how it looks' to be left behind/fail rather than where it should be, which is why are our kids not learning what they need to in order to succeed?

Perhaps this story somehow ties in with the thread I started earlier about the mental state of university students today. Coping skills are very important and help with self confidence.

How can they be expected to learn coping skills when they've never been allowed to be in a situation in which they must use their coping skills? These skills need to be developed, people don't come out of a box knowing how to deal with life, that's what growing up is all about.