Durham Region teachers given language guidelines

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Ah yes...more smarmy collective speak via Dolton McSquinty.

TORONTO - Durham Region’s public school board has called in the language police.

Sweeping new guidelines introduced to Durham District School Board teachers and staff this fall intend to police how teachers speak to their students, parents and each other.

The 19-page document instructs teachers not to tell racist jokes in the classroom, cut out all references to “man” and asks them not to call someone hailing from Korea, Korean.

“Because it is a guideline there are no specific sanctions,” said board spokesman Andrea Pidwerbecki. “We haven’t had a single complaint. I think people have found it to be helpful.”

The guideline was developed in response to a provincial equity and inclusive education policy introduced in 2009. That document was created to help reduce gender, race and sexual orientation-based discrimination.

But Durham Region’s guidelines get very specific with for teachers.

“Avoid sexist, racist, related jokes homophobic/transphobic, and/or religious stories, jokes, etc.,” the guidelines say, adding. “Avoid statements or labels that convey prejudice.”

When referring to racial or cultural groups the guideline tells teachers to avoid the terms Pakistani, Afghan, Korean, Indian or Chinese. Instead, use the appropriate country name, “a person from Pakistan” the guideline says.

more

Durham Region teachers given language guidelines | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
“Avoid sexist, racist, related jokes homophobic/transphobic, and/or religious stories, jokes, etc.,” the guidelines say, adding. “Avoid statements or labels that convey prejudice.”

How about teaching children about racism, the history, the oppression faced by specific groups in the past, where racism exists today, how it exists today, all of it's guises, so they can actually grow up armed to combat it, instead of cowering from it? Might that be a worthwhile endeavor as opposed to surgery on the English language?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The Toronto Sun is once again on the front lines of investigative journalism. You won't see Peter Personbridge reporting this on the National tonight.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
A Canadian from Korea (or wherever) is not Korean, he or she is Canadian.
Racist jokes do not have a place in the classroom, or anywhere for that matter.

These guidelines make sense to me. Of course, I'm Canadian.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
A Canadian from Korea (or wherever) is not Korean, he or she is Canadian.
Racist jokes do not have a place in the classroom, or anywhere for that matter.

These guidelines make sense to me. Of course, I'm Canadian.

You're not a Canadian, you're. A person from Canada.

You didn't. Understand the memo.