Superbug kills 7th person at Md. NIH

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Don't panic, but 7 people have died since an untreatable "superbug" was released at an NIH lab in Maryland. Paging Captain Trips, Captain Trips to the white courtesy phone

A deadly germ untreatable by most antibiotics has killed a seventh person at the National Institutes of Health Clinical Center in Maryland.

The Washington Post reported the death Friday. NIH officials told the paper that the boy from Minnesota died Sept. 7. NIH says the boy arrived at the research hospital in Bethesda in April and was being treated for complications from a bone marrow transplant when he contracted the bug.

He was the 19th patient at the hospital to contract an antibiotic-resistant strain of KPC, or Klebsiella pneumoniae. The outbreak stemmed from a single patient carrying the superbug who arrived at the hospital last summer.

The paper reported the Minnesota boy's case marked the first new infection of this superbug at NIH since January.

Superbug kills 7th person at Md. NIH - baltimoresun.com

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Don't panic, but 7 people have died since an untreatable "superbug" was released at an NIH lab in Maryland. Paging Captain Trips, Captain Trips to the white courtesy phone

A deadly germ untreatable by most antibiotics has killed a seventh person at the National Institutes of Health Clinical Center in Maryland.

The Washington Post reported the death Friday. NIH officials told the paper that the boy from Minnesota died Sept. 7. NIH says the boy arrived at the research hospital in Bethesda in April and was being treated for complications from a bone marrow transplant when he contracted the bug.

He was the 19th patient at the hospital to contract an antibiotic-resistant strain of KPC, or Klebsiella pneumoniae. The outbreak stemmed from a single patient carrying the superbug who arrived at the hospital last summer.

The paper reported the Minnesota boy's case marked the first new infection of this superbug at NIH since January.

Superbug kills 7th person at Md. NIH - baltimoresun.com

Beware the Dark Man! 8O

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I suppose we should rush out and update our vaccines.

Well, vaccines don't contribute to resistance like the use of antimicrobials does...you can autoclave surgical tools or use disposables tools where appropriate, but you can't autoclave an entire room...that's the problem in hospitals.

We have a fish pathogen at work that will survive chlorination; we can identify viable cells after 19 weeks in incubated water treated with hypochlorite.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
How do you kill it?
Well, you'll kill some of it with the javex, just not all of it. So combinations tend to work well. Erythromycin in most places still works well. Autoclaving above 127°C kills it. Virkon Aquatic will kill it too, but that stuff isn't cheap.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Well, vaccines don't contribute to resistance like the use of antimicrobials does...you can autoclave surgical tools or use disposables tools where appropriate, but you can't autoclave an entire room...that's the problem in hospitals.

We have a fish pathogen at work that will survive chlorination; we can identify viable cells after 19 weeks in incubated water treated with hypochlorite.

Like I was saying a while ago the natural lab can't be beat.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Like I was saying a while ago the natural lab can't be beat.
Yeah right. Wild fish die from this disease all the time. Western States that try to keep their numbers up give the adults shots of anti-biotics in the field. We'll soon be shipping them some vaccine too. The bacteria is transmitted horizontally and vertically. Disease is ubiquitous. Your wild fish are carrying virus and bacteria, and you're eating it too!

:lol:

BruSan

Electoral Member
Jul 5, 2011
Sorry; still won't eat the farmed stuff as the bacteria I "choose" to eat will at least be unknowingly eaten by me whereas eating that stuff from contained areas is almost certainly ingesting whatever has gotten into those ponds and ALL those fish.

My opinion only.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Sorry; still won't eat the farmed stuff as the bacteria I "choose" to eat will at least be unknowingly eaten by me whereas eating that stuff from contained areas is almost certainly ingesting whatever has gotten into those ponds and ALL those fish.

So you think it's a good thing to be ignorant about the microbes in your food. Interesting. The ocean is full of virus and bacteria...

BruSan

Electoral Member
Jul 5, 2011
So you think it's a good thing to be ignorant about the microbes in your food. Interesting. The ocean is full of virus and bacteria...

Didn't say anything remotely like that. Very strange you managed to interpret my post so obliquely. Then again maybe not so strange.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Just for the sake of my own curiosity... farmed veggies, farmed dairy, farmed meat.... all are subject to the same issues of diseases running rampant due to the presence of too many of one species in a small area. Do you avoid all those as well? Or just farmed fish?

BruSan

Electoral Member
Jul 5, 2011
Just for the sake of my own curiosity... farmed veggies, farmed dairy, farmed meat.... all are subject to the same issues of diseases running rampant due to the presence of too many of one species in a small area. Do you avoid all those as well? Or just farmed fish?

Nope; just farmed seafood. it is my belief and opinion that veggies, dairy, and meat do NOT have the same issues due to concentration.

Now since I've mentioned on more than one occasion that these are my beliefs and opinions only; are you folks going to challenge my beliefs or espoused opinions with all sorts of links to definitive studies of comparative analysis proving that farmed seafood is no more subject to concentration issues with pathogens than the other foods I choose to eat. If so; have at with pleasure.

I am prepared and will readily admit to being in error if proven wrong with my beliefs and opinions but until then my beliefs and opinions are just as valid as yours. ......are they not?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Oh boy... someone's a little testy about discussion on a discussion forum it would seem. Yikes. My bad for asking. I was simply curious where you accept disease and where you don't. What farming practices are welcomed by you, and which aren't.