Students face deportation for Walmart mixup

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Students face deportation for Walmart mixup
By KRISTY BROWNLEE and LISA MRAZEK, QMI Agency

Two University of Regina students from Nigeria have been hiding in a church for months to avoid deportation for unwittingly working at Walmart without the proper permits.
Ihuoma Amadi, 21, and Victoria Ordu, 20, have attended the school for three years on a scholarship. Last year, the pair worked at the store for two weeks, but according to Citizenship and Immigration Canada, international students can't be employed off campus without a work permit.
"It was an honest mistake. They want a second chance. There are better measures that could have been used rather than the ultimate punishment, which is deportation," said Kay Adebogun, vice-president of the Canadian Association of Immigration Consultants, who is representing them pro bono.
The students said they quit immediately when university staff told them the rules. Later, Canadian Border Services Agency officers arrested them and they were scheduled to be deported June 19.
It is unclear how the women ended up getting hired without the appropriate work permits.
Walmart said it is investigating the matter and declined to go into detail.

"We have a process in place to ensure associates have appropriate documentation to work in Canada," the statement said.
Desperate, the women said they sought sanctuary at an undisclosed church in Regina nearly three months ago in hopes immigration officials will show "mercy" for them.
"At times, we stay for days without eating because we don't go outside," Amadi said Thursday at the church where they sleep on the floor.
Amadi and Ordu have both written to Immigration Minister Jason Kenney to ask for a pardon, and they are trying to get temporary residence permits.
"We acknowledge everything happened out of ignorance. If we had known, why would we take that risk when our education is much more important?" Ordu said.
The University of Regina is supportive of the women's plight and wants them to return to classes to get their degrees in theatre and international studies.
Barbara Pollock, a spokeswoman at the university, said the school sent a letter to the minister to ask him to reconsider the deportation on humanitarian grounds.
"We feel that the punishment is disproportionate to the wrongdoing," Pollock said.
Remi Lariviere, spokesman for Citizenship and Immigration Canada, said in an email Thursday that Kenney doesn't have the authority to reverse deportation orders under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. Lariviere declined to answer further questions for privacy reasons.
For now, all the students can do is wait.
"It's given the wrong impression of Canada," Ordu said.

Students face deportation for Walmart mixup - Canada - Canoe.ca

FFS, can the government ever do anything right? Border services arrest them and how many individuals with foreign convictions are currently drawing out the appeals process?

I wonder, does bureaucracy draw the stupid or does it make people stupid?

And yes, I know that technically it's against the rules but for goodness sakes, use a little reasoning and sense when determining whether to arrest someone. But no, straight to deportation.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
FFS, can the government ever do anything right? Border services arrest them and how many individuals with foreign convictions are currently drawing out the appeals process?

Out of curiousity, what immigration rules should we allow to be broken, and where do we draw the line?

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, just wondering, since your point of view is that rules aren't rules, how do you decide?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Out of curiousity, what immigration rules should we allow to be broken, and where do we draw the line?

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, just wondering, since your point of view is that rules aren't rules, how do you decide?

No, it's not about assessing the rules, it's about assessing the situation. Their "crime" is that they accidentally worked at Walmart, I don't think Canadian society has been or likely will be irreparably harmed. That they stopped immediately once the university informed them, I think works in their favour as it speaks to their character and motivations. (Taking the article completely at face value of course.)

It's not different than a police officer using professional yet personal judgement when he or she decides to issue a warning instead of a ticket for a driving infraction. They assess the situation.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Government jobs tend to attract stupid people. Or ones that are OK with following the script. Thinking on your feet is not permitted. Ambition is discouraged.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
No, it's not about assessing the rules, it's about assessing the situation. Their "crime" is that they accidentally worked at Walmart, I don't think Canadian society has been or likely will be irreparably harmed. That they stopped immediately once the university informed them, I think works in their favour as it speaks to their character and motivations. (Taking the article completely at face value of course.)

It's not different than a police officer using professional yet personal judgement when he or she decides to issue a warning instead of a ticket for a driving infraction. They assess the situation.

They 'accidentally' worked at Walmart?

Can you explain how a person 'accidentally' gets a job? Has it ever happened to you?

Your point of view is, apparently, that the immigration rules aren't rules, can you explain which ones we ignore at will? Can we lie on immigration applications about criminal records, or is that wrong? Where do you draw the line?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
They 'accidentally' worked at Walmart?

Can you explain how a person 'accidentally' gets a job? Has it ever happened to you?

Oh FFS, you are being deliberately obtuse!

They are only allowed to work off campus if they obtain a work permit, which they didn't do. Mistakenly. Is that better or do you want to nit pick some more?

Your point of view is, apparently, that the immigration rules aren't rules, can you explain which ones we ignore at will? Can we lie on immigration applications about criminal records, or is that wrong? Where do you draw the line?
BS that's my point of view. I already explained what I meant regarding situations. If you don't agree, then don't. I really don't care. But don't tell me what I mean.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Oh FFS, you are being deliberately obtuse!

They are only allowed to work off campus if they obtain a work permit, which they didn't do. Mistakenly. Is that better or do you want to nit pick some more?

I mistakenly drove after I'd had 7 beer. Should I be charged?

I mistakenly drove 136 km/h in a 100 zone. Shoudl I get a ticket?

Let me know what crimes you think are excusable when you commit them 'mistakenly'.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I mistakenly drove after I'd had 7 beer. Should I be charged?

I mistakenly drove 136 km/h in a 100 zone. Shoudl I get a ticket?

Let me know what crimes you think are excusable when you commit them 'mistakenly'.

You practicing for EAO's job as head troll?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Come on, these kids worked for two weeks and didn't know all the rules, what a mistake to
deprive them on an education after three years. Yes they broke the rules, did you speed on
the way home today, that's breaking the rules. This was not some serious conspiracy it was
a breach of a law they didn't understand And what about Walmart, why the hell didn't they
follow the rules? Should we deport the company for breaking the rules?
This is a test of wills not about the law anymore and adults at Immigration should start acting
like adults. Give them a punishment or something but not deportation.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
from sda:

This Is Awkward

Now is the time at SDA when we get the rest of the story!

CBC, October 2012...

In November, The U of R maintains ...

...both students are in good academic standing and are eligible to enrol for classes.

University spokeswoman Barb Pollock also told the Leader-Post last week the U of R has co-operated in giving immigration officials whatever information it can.

"We have been asking to discuss this issue with the government and we have not been successful," she said at the time.

Oops.

The U of R rejected her appeal in a letter dated May 31st, 2011 and there's no evidence a subsequent appeal was initiated or successful.

Regina MP says info lacking in student deportation case

small dead animals: This Is Awkward

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Thank you for visiting Canada. We hope you enjoyed your stay. Don't let the door slam your butt on the way out.

Actually they did break Canadian law. Technically they are criminals. However their crime is petty. I'd support their continued education, provided they had decent grades. However if they can't maintain their grades and aren't students any more then they have to leave.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Thank you for visiting Canada. We hope you enjoyed your stay. Don't let the door slam your butt on the way out.

Actually they did break Canadian law. Technically they are criminals.

Breaking Canadian law does not make one a criminal. It is against the law to drive faster than the posted speed limit. Getting a speeding ticket does not make one a criminal.