The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
LOL! This is brilliant!

Alberta dealer gets back at thieves via radio ad

September 12, 2012 , by Nicholas Maronese
(Holly Hashimi for ConnectFortMcMurray)

Ford dealer offers $10K reward for info on stolen wheels

An Alberta Ford dealership who found themselves the victim of theft decided to turn their loss into a gain by using the incident to promote their business.

Marty Giles (pictured), owner of North Star Ford in Fort McMurray, Alberta, had a set of tires and rims belonging to two F-150 trucks and a Ford Mustang stolen from his dealership over the weekend, and decided instead of getting mad, he'd get even.

So shortly after the incident, Giles recorded a radio ad explaining he'd hand over a $10,000 reward to anyone who could give him or the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) any information leading to the thieves' arrest.

In the one-minute spot, Giles also promises to donate another $10,000 to a local charity chosen by the RCMP. If the tires are returned, he says, he'll "call off the posse, no harm, no foul."

The radio ad's humourous tone – Giles dares the thieves, "You think one of your pals won't turn you in for 10 grand?" – has already netted a YouTube video of the ad several thousand listens.

The ad closes with a play on the dealership slogan: "Northstar Ford: the way the ratting-out-your-friend experience should be." Is this one of the funniest radio ads you've heard in a while?

Best radio commercial - YouTube

Alberta dealer gets back at thieves via radio ad - Sympatico.ca Autos

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I think it's always very cool when someone can take a very commonplace negative situation (theft) and turn it into something positive (charitable donation) and fun (entertaining tongue in cheek ad).

:)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I doubt it is something that turned poisitive..... yet.. The rims for the harley truck are worth more than 10K to him.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Exactly. And the incident as well as the dealer's humours message will take the 'advertising' a lot further than it would have otherwise. So that can be a positive thing.

If he gets back what was stolen, all the better.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
He won't get the wheels back. I'm not 100% sure but I think the harley truck wheels are number matched to the truck but I bet the truck wil be long gone by then. I bet the harley truck, mustang GT and F-150 are all on sale.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Yeah, but the target audience has money to burn, and not a lick of sense, and zero intention to use the truck as a truck.

It's like Hugh Hefner getting married - absolutely no intention or ability to use the thing as intended, it's just to look at.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yeah, but the target audience has money to burn, and not a lick of sense, and zero intention to use the truck as a truck.

It's like Hugh Hefner getting married - absolutely no intention or ability to use the thing as intended, it's just to look at.

Hugh is so old he'd probably have a hard time just finding it!