Police say torso belongs to missing Niagara Falls, N.Y., mom

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

Police have confirmed the torso found in the Niagara River last week is that of a missing mother of three from Niagara Falls, N.Y.

Loretta Jo Gates, 30, was last seen Aug. 25 after leaving her mother's home in Niagara Falls, N.Y.

Gates' family submitted DNA samples to U.S. police earlier this week to determine if the headless torso is that of the missing woman.

Investigators have ruled Gates' death a homicide. Police in Niagara Falls, N.Y., and New York State police are investigating.

Police say torso belongs to missing Niagara Falls, N.Y., mom | Ontario | News | Toronto Sun

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I seem to remember, back when they thought this missing woman was from New York, that the husband or estranged husband was suspected of doing her harm, but I don't see anything in the article referencing him.

Sad to say, I may be mixing up the story with the other dismembered woman.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I seem to remember, back when they thought this missing woman was from New York, that the husband or estranged husband was suspected of doing her harm, but I don't see anything in the article referencing him.

Sad to say, I may be mixing up the story with the other dismembered woman.

They may not have mentioned it in the article, but you are more than likely correct as to who the murderer is. They say that most murders of this sort are committed by a person/people that the victim knows, that being the spouse(or the person who was going out/seeing the victim).

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
They may not have mentioned it in the article, but you are more than likely correct as to who the murderer is. They say that most murders of this sort are committed by a person/people that the victim knows, that being the spouse(or the person who was going out/seeing the victim).

I can understand, to an extent, the crazies that come upon you when a relationship deteriorates. Not that I'd every commit murder, but I can see how the feelings can get crazy and carried away. What I can't understand, is how anyone could do that to their children.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I can understand, to an extent, the crazies that come upon you when a relationship deteriorates. Not that I'd every commit murder, but I can see how the feelings can get crazy and carried away. What I can't understand, is how anyone could do that to their children.

But it isn't always because the person was "crazed". There are numerous reasons that they murder their spouse, with is usually being greed, infidelity, or they are just trying to keep a secret from others.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
But it isn't always because the person was "crazed". There are numerous reasons that they murder their spouse, with is usually being greed, infidelity, or they are just trying to keep a secret from others.

I don't mean crazed as in "insanity defence". I've been though a divorce, it was not pretty. My ex is a dick (that is my un-biased opinion ;)) . But, despite how angry I may have been or how hateful I may have felt towards him, I couldn't ever harm him if only because I couldn't hurt my children like that. Children loose both parents when that happens.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I don't mean crazed as in "insanity defence". I've been though a divorce, it was not pretty. My ex is a dick (that is my un-biased opinion ;)) . But, despite how angry I may have been or how hateful I may have felt towards him, I couldn't ever harm him if only because I couldn't hurt my children like that. Children loose both parents when that happens.

I know what you meant. I was just expanding on other potential reasons.:)

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I know what you meant. I was just expanding on other potential reasons.:)

Regardless of the reasons (excuses) someone comes up with, when you murder the parent of your children, you're doing something horrific to them as well. I can understand hating a spouse or former spouse (love can turn to bitterness and hate rapidly) but doing that to your children is unfathomable.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Regardless of the reasons (excuses) someone comes up with, when you murder the parent of your children, you're doing something horrific to them as well. I can understand hating a spouse or former spouse (love can turn to bitterness and hate rapidly) but doing that to your children is unfathomable.

Unfortunately, they don't always care. In fact, sometimes they even go the extra mile of monstrous behaviour and murder the children as well(or murder just the children and leave the spouse alive to live in misery at the loss of the children).

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Unfortunately, they don't always care. In fact, sometimes they even go the extra mile of monstrous behaviour and murder the children as well(or murder just the children and leave the spouse alive to live in misery at the loss of the children).

I cannot comprehend having children and not caring about them. I can't fathom how a human being does that.