Plane with anti-government message Ordered down by RCMP

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Refreshing News: A plane in Canada towing an anti-government message forced to land

SEPTEMBER 04, 2012

A plane in Canada towing an anti-government message forced to land

An airplane commissioned by one of Canada's largest national labour unions to fly over Parliament Hill while tugging an anti-Stephen Harper banner was ordered grounded by the RCMP over the weekend.

The Public Service Alliance of Canada, which booked the plane to soar over Ottawa and Gatineau, Que., on Saturday, has complained the Mounties called for the plane to land because the message it carried was critical of the prime minister.

The banner, which was in French, read "Stephen Harper nous déteste.ca" (translated as "Stephen Harper hates us.ca" in English).

Cpl. Lucy Shorey with the RCMP told CBC News it appeared the PSAC plane was flying in restricted airspace, and confirmed that the police force commanded the pilot to terminate the flight plan so that he could be questioned by officers.

But in a release, the union denied the plane ever entered restricted airspace, saying "the pilot was fully aware of airspace restrictions in place in Ottawa and Nav Canada, Canada's air traffic control service, confirms that for the entire flight the PSAC-hired airplane remained outside the restricted zone."

PSAC added that the plane had been making the rounds over Montreal and other Quebec communities for the past two weeks as part of its "We are all affected" campaign, which opposes public service job cuts.

The union said it believes the RCMP decision to order the plane was made due to political reasons associated with the banner's message.

"Had the RCMP been concerned about the plane's potential route, it could have easily communicated with the pilot via radio and sought clarification rather than ordering it back down to the airport," the PSAC said in the release.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I heard this on radio today, the plane did not fly into restricted air space at all
the RCMP were concerned it might be hate speech. What a load of crap.
This whole thin upset the powers that be and they didn't like it.
The pilot stated he was hired and flew the same message over Quebec through
the month of August..

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Wouldn't want anything to upset our dear richard patato.
Of course it was hate speech,it had hate right in it.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada

I see nothing that says "hate speach" there,its nothing more than Big Brother trying to shut the voices of the people,are we in a democracy or what?

people can apparently say "I hate muslims" or "i hate jews",but its illegal to say "Harper hates quebec"