Hackers embarrass Apple with data leak

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Apple faced a major embarrassment on the eve of the launch of its new iPhone when hackers published a trove of sensitive information about 1m Apple devices online.

The hacker group AntiSec, an offshoot of the Anonymous and Lulzsec collectives which last year targeted Sony, News International and others in a high-profile wave of attacks, said it had obtained the database of Apple device-identifiers from an FBI agent’s laptop. The FBI’s long-running international investigation into Anonymous and its associates resulted in several arrests earlier this year.

more

Hackers embarrass Apple with data leak - FT.com

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
The fact they stole this info from the FBI is missed. The real questions are:
  • Why did the FBI have this information?
  • What were they doing with it?
  • How did the FBI get it?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
The hacker group AntiSec, an offshoot of the Anonymous and Lulzsec collectives which last year targeted Sony, News International and others in a high-profile wave of attacks, said it had obtained the database of Apple device-identifiers from an FBI agent’s laptop. The FBI’s long-running international investigation into Anonymous and its associates resulted in several arrests earlier this year.

When one group of hackers gets shut down or arrested, at least 2 more pop up. I don't think they'll ever stop hacking groups from being around.

How did the FBI get it?

They used their "Get Personal Information" App.;)

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
via Fark

FBI reports they have successfully destroyed all evidence of being hacked

FBI denies claims of Apple ID hack

(CNN) -- The FBI on Tuesday said there is "no evidence" to support claims by a hackers group that they accessed information about millions of Apple users on a bureau computer.

The hackers have posted online what they claim are the IDs of more than 1 million iPhones and iPads. And they say that's just part of the more than 12 million IDs -- and other information such as users' names, cell phone numbers and billing addresses -- they got from the laptop of an FBI agent.

The release, if authentic, sparked a flurry of headlines Tuesday and raised questions about both FBI security and why the bureau would have collected that information about people in the first place.

more

FBI denies claims of Apple ID hack - CNN.com

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
In the beginning,an apple put humanity in big trouble "Adam & Eve"
Now another Apple has put humanity in more trouble.

Face it guys apples is bad for us.

Not sure how this has put humanity in any trouble.

Also, not sure I trust the source. If I wanted to grab info from unsuspecting dubs, what I would do is post a list of fake Apple ids on a site. Put spyware on the site. Then announce to the world I had stolen Apple Ids. Everybody goes on to check if they see there's (has ANYBODY found theirs? Nobody I have heard of. But its only a 'partial' list we are told.). Wamo. Got their info via the spyware.

How many of you have checked?